IGNORED

E/A diskette question

gameguy1957

I picked up the Editor/Assembly kit off of eBay a few weeks ago. It was still shrinkwrapped and in the box, but I think the disks may be bad. When trying to copy them I get an error 6 from the Disk Manager 2.

Is there anything other than bad disks that would cause this? If not, can the disk images from one of the emulators be used to recreate a physical copy of the bad disks?

I can read, write, copy other disks.

Thanks,

-JM

I picked up the Editor/Assembly kit off of eBay a few weeks ago. It was still shrinkwrapped and in the box, but I think the disks may be bad. When trying to copy them I get an error 6 from the Disk Manager 2.

Is there anything other than bad disks that would cause this? If not, can the disk images from one of the emulators be used to recreate a physical copy of the bad disks?

I can read, write, copy other disks.

Thanks,

-JM

Since you can read & write other disks, yeah, I'd say the diskette is bad, it's been 30+ years since TI abandoned the market, those things don't last forever. You can make another diskette from one of the images on the Internet and use it. You might even be able to re-use the original label. :)

Here is a table of the error codes ...

gallery_35324_1027_20063.jpg

I have a question for you. Do you have a scanner? It would be GREAT if you could scan in the diskette so we could all get a copy of a pristine label! :)

Actually, you might even be able to record onto the same disks. I imagine the problem is that the magnetic fields recorded onto the disk have simply faded away over the years. They could have been stored close by a magnetic field which would influence the magnetic layout of the data on the disks over a long time period.

I mean, the disks aren't physically worn out through use - they've never been used! If it were me I would try and use them again!

Edited by Willsy
  • Like 1

Actually, you might even be able to record onto the same disks. I imagine the problem is that the magnetic fields recorded onto the disk have simply ladled away over the years. They could have been stored close by a magnetic field which would influence the magnetic layout of the data on the disks over a long time period.

I mean, the disks aren't physically worn out through use ' they've never been used! If it were me I would try and use them again!

I agree - it's certainly worth a shot :). Welcome to AA by the way gameguy!

I have a question for you. Do you have a scanner? It would be GREAT if you could scan in the diskette so we could all get a copy of a pristine label! :)

The disk labels don't look that great. It looks like the glue has leeched through over the years, so the white areas have dark spots on them.

It was nice opening a fresh kit. The last time I did that was on Christmas day in the early 80's when I got an Extended Basic and a cassette recorder under the tree.

-JM

Edited by gameguy1957

The disk labels don't look that great. It looks like the glue has leeched through over the years, so the white areas have dark spots on them.

It was nice opening a fresh kit. The last time I did that was on Christmas day in the early 80's when I got an Extended Basic and a cassette recorder under the tree.

-JM

Bummer, I was afraid of that. That glue has ruined more labels! I was sort of hoping to get a copy of one diskette in pristine format, it does not matter which program. I was sort hoping to make and modify one so people could have a template for their own new 3.5" or 5.25" diskettes. I've already done the cartridges, thankfully those have held up better over the years.

Oh yeah, opening a fresh shrink-wrapped package is great! Those were good times... and are again! :)

I bought a new and shrinkwrapped E/A from eBay about a year ago and both of my disks looked the same also. But strangely enough, my disk A actually works.