IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Part of the explanation probably lies in the heart of this forum is the 2600, so a number of people particularly interested in that console also participate in this tracker. I believe if a similar event was ran on e.g. Lemon64 or STH forums, the outcome would be slightly different.

They might be, but still it gets a lot of hours of play, which was my point, not that it topped the list.

• Like 1

DARK CHAMBERS - My TOP favorite 7800 game.

As I said, I'm providing my gameplay videos (Advanced setting in 2 parts) to learn the mechanics of this game.

Also, I'm presenting my Dark Chambers Scoring Tables related to the video presented above. Click to enlarge and view the stats and notes.

post-24681-0-17993200-1404438665_thumb.png post-24681-0-40078400-1404438670_thumb.png post-24681-0-54367600-1404438675_thumb.png post-24681-0-19790100-1404438681_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

Not sure I'll get any time to play tomorrow, so I'll post my times already.

C64:

Space Action - 2 min.

Emulated environment at the museum where I sneaked in to have a peek. At 2:30 PM on a Saturday, I was just about the only visitor at the museum.

PC DOS:

Pinball Dreams - 4 min.

Stunts / 4D Sports - 360 min.

Pinball Dreams is also present at the museum in an emulated environment. I didn't quite recognize the graphics from the Amiga version, so I imagined they might be playing the DOS version, but alas it doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps they're running an inferior Amiga emulator that causes some odd coloured pixels here and there?

As for Stunts, I ventured into playing vs computer opponents and building my own tracks, and as anyone who has been into BYO/CK games knows, once you get into that, time flies. I tried some other DOS games on my Flea, but the others only had corrupted graphics or wouldn't start at all, so I stick with Stunts. I've lost count on how many super sport cars I've damaged in the past week...

• Like 2

My times for the week :)

Sega Saturn:

Croc - 75min

Hexen - 45min

Mass Destruction - 125min

Beat the game and defeated the RA scum :)

Mr. Bones - 20min

This game is super hard, finally got to lvl 2

Powerslave - 810

Beat the game and saved the world from the aliens sucking power outta the mummy :lol:

Quake - 50min

For using the Slavedriver engine that powers Powerslave this game is much uglier :(

Resident Evil - 60min

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Millipede: 27 min

Zaxxon: 8 min

SNES

Blackthorne: 7 min

Sim City 2000: 2 min

Tiny Toons - Buster busts loose: 6 min

Master System

Donald Duck - Lucky Dime Caper: 5 min

Trans Bot: 5 min

Mega Drive

Columns: 5 min

Flashback: 5 min

Mortal Kombat 3: 4 min

Sonic 1: 3 min

Some HSC, and some testing.

Flea market find of the month for me: I scored on a Mega Drive model 1 with power adapter and two Master System controllers. I was able to convince the guy that those controllers won't work on a Mega Drive. I think this made the price drop significantly, because at first he had told me that it all works well, and his son played with it recently. Glad I had another Mega Drive cib game with me and could show hi how MD controllers are supposed to look like. So I caught him lying, and maybe his bad conscience made him give me all that junk for 5 Euro. One controller was a Control Stick. Those alone are worth 10-15 € over here. Also there were two carts: Sonic and Mega Games I.

Everything was super dirty and grimy, but after a good cleaning, the MD works like a champion. So well and reliable actually that I just kept it hooked up instead of my original one. The "new" one takes the power base converter with much less of a hassle and also plays SMS card games without complaining.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (June 30th through July 6th)...

Arcade:

Commando - 42 min.

Mario Bros - 41 min.

Millipede - 42 min.

Moonwalker - 73 min. in 2 sessions

Rampart (Joystick) - 113 min.

I really played those games in the alphabetical order given, but by chance, not intentionally. The chance for this order to happen randomly would be 1:80.

I replayed Commando after I had shut it down prematurely some weeks ago. It took me several attempts to break the first area. It helps to constantly keep moving in one direction as long as possible, only straying away from it if not possible otherwise, and to concentrate more on dodging enemy fire than in hitting the enemy.

In Mario Bros., surprisingly I got again the condition where the game issues extra lives every 20,000 points, but starting out with 6 lives as well. Under this configuration, I made the complete Slipice level (until Round 15), after which the platforms get invisible and the falling iceicles (or however they are called) appear.

In Millipede, I didn't get very far. I played until I got the insects zig-zagging from the top which move up the playfield one row each time you hit one.

In Moonwalker, I tried an interesting variation, mapping the joystick input to all 3 players, controlling them in sync. Still I needed about as many continues (and credits) for each player until the end as I needed for one player playing solo, because it's much harder dodging enemy fire with a threesome moving in tight formation. Three individual players probably would do better...

Finally, I played the Joystick version of Rampart which seems to steer much better than the Trackball version when using digital input, similar to the DOS port I played some 15 years ago. I didn't manage to beat the game although I tried to do it with continues, but only a limited number of continues is allowed. After playing some short games without continues, I played three games with the maximum number of continues allowed, and each lasted for about 24 minutes, but with the score decreasing with each game.

• Like 3

MY WEEK - June 30th to July 6th:

Atari 2600:

1) Chetiry (Gameboy Version) - 54 minutes

2) Gremlins - 78 minutes

3) Jr. Pac-Man - 65 minutes

4) Millipede - 42 minutes

5) Space Raid (Variant of Megamania) - 51 minutes

Game Boy:

1) Tetris - 25 minutes

Game Boy Advance (not eligible)

1) Activision Anthology - 30 minutes

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 2600 Gremlins - 1,000,000 points (Rolled The Score)

2) 2600 Chetiry - 226,900 points

3) 2600 Millipede - 1,000,000+ points (Rolled The Score)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQVfiUyU044

• Like 3

My times for the week:

Genesis:
The Last Action Hero - 20 min.
Game Boy:
Boxxie - 2 min.
Jimmy Connors Tennis - 81 min.
Radar Mission - 101 min.
Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Montana's Movie Madness - 2 min.
SNES:
Chessmaster - 630 min.
The Last Action Hero - 200 min.
PlayStation:
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - 100 min.
Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James - 100 min.
Dreamcast:
Gauntlet Legends - 506 min.
Beat the SNES version of The Last Action Hero this week, as well as Gunfighter, a decent PlayStation lightgun game (though I played with the D-pad) that was one of the very first games I bought when I got back into real hardware around 2008. I'd never really played it before (I probably fired it up for 2-3 minutes after buying it), but it turned out to be relatively easy to clear.
I also had a bunch of partial victories or victories on lower difficulties. In Chessmaster for SNES, I cleared difficulties 1-7 out of 13, mostly while watching Wimbledon. Some of the games have been almost identical to each other; however, I've stumbled repeatedly on difficulty #8 and higher. My wife and I also completed Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast on Medium difficulty, playing an hour or two most nights and then finishing up with a 3-hour marathon after the local fireworks display (postponed to Saturday because of the weather).
Then today it was two Game Boy games: Jimmy Connors Tennis, on Intermediate difficulty for the NA Game Boy beat-'em-all (and which I'd previously beaten on Beginner and Advanced difficulties during Hurricane Sandy); and Radar Mission, in which I beat Game A -- essentially a three-round Battleship clone with a few bells and whistles -- but still need to beat Game B.
Otherwise I messed around with the Genesis version of The Last Action Hero (which I beat last year) for testing purposes, and started working on the slippery 3D platformer Croc. I'll have to double-check, but I don't think I've ever beaten a true, free-roaming 3D platformer before, though I messed around with Banjo-Kazooie and the Mac game Bugdom some years back. It's not really my genre of choice, but it felt good to finally beat Gunfighter after leaving it untouched for so many years, so I thought I'd do the same for Croc since I've had that for nearly as long.
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 27, running from June 30 - July 6. We logged 5780 (!) minutes of eligible play, playing 53 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 874

2. Powerslave (Sega Saturn) - 810

3. Chessmaster, The (SNES) - 630

4. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast) - 506

5. Stunts / 4D Sports (PC (DOS)) - 360

6. Baseball Stars (NES/Famicom) - 340

7. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 220

8. Last Action Hero (SNES) - 200

9. Mass Destruction (Sega Saturn) - 125

10. Super Mario World (SNES) - 120

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 874

2. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 220

3. Gremlins (Atari 2600) - 78

4. Millipede (Atari 2600) - 69

5. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 65

6. Chetiry (Game Boy version) (Atari 2600) - 54

7. Space Raid [Megamania hack] (Atari 2600) - 51

8. Millipede (Arcade) - 42

9. Mario Bros. (Arcade) - 41

10. Chetiry (Atari 2600) - 30

10. Moon Cresta (Atari 7800) - 30

10. Space Invaders (Atari 7800) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1229)

2. Sega Saturn (1185)

3. SNES (1010)

4. Dreamcast (506)

5. PC (DOS) (399)

6. NES/Famicom (340)

7. Arcade (311)

8. Atari 5200 (220)

9. Game Boy (211)

10. PlayStation (200)

Big numbers make Week 27 of 2014 the 7th most active week in the tracker's history! Here's the breakdown of our busiest weeks up 'til now:

1. 2010, Week 6 (7157)

2. 2012, Week 18 (6762)

3. 2010, Week 8 (6473)

4. 2012, Week 1 (6451)

5. 2010, Week 5 (6230)

6. 2010, Week 10 (6198)

7. 2014, Week 27 (5780)

8. 2010, Week 7 (5644)

9. 2010, Week 9 (5604)

10. 2011, Week 21 (5410)

Meanwhile, the Saturn and SNES once again take a strong run at the Atari's supremacy, but the ol' VCS hangs on to its crown and keeps dropping bombs from the top spot.
  • Like 3

Atari 2600

Atlantis: 8 min

Boxing: 2 min

Freeway: 2 min

Grand Prix: 1 min

Pitfall!: 3 min

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes: 7 min

River Raid: 3 min

Shark Attack: 7 min

Spider Fighter: 9 min

Tennis: 2 min

Flea market find: An Activision Plug & Play Joystick/console. Apart from Tomatoes and Shark Attack, all games were played on that thing for testing. The stick feels great and very responsive, but the sound of the games is badly emulated. Gameplay itself feels pretty much the same as on an original 2600.

NES

Dr. Mario: 20 min

SNES

Soccer Shootout: 3 min

Found Soccer Shootout on a flea market for 1 Euro. Waste of money, like so many other soccer games.

And last, but not least...

...PONG: 25 min

Being early bird on today's flea market paid off. I scored an old "Universum Color TV Multi" Pong console from 1980, and it works very well after I cleaned the grime off it. These things are really rare in the wild around here - and I paid only 5 bucks for it!

I was so happy to get it to work, I made my first ever gaming youtube video. This may be the first time my voice can be heard on the internets:

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 3

This week:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 63 minutes

Super Double Dragon (SNES) - 55 minutes

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360) - 49 minutes (finishing challenges)

The Little Mermaid: Magic In Two Kingdoms (GBA) - 17 minutes (This is literally all you need to finish this game with no cheats or glitches)

In total: 3 hours, 4 minutes

Wish I had more time this week, but work, tournament preperations, and some housework got in the way, :(

• Like 3

Sega Saturn

-------------

Astal - 30min

Destruction Derby - 60min

Cool spot - 20min

Croc - 120min

Pandemonium - 30min

Shellshock - 140min

Nights into Dreams - 30min

The Mansion of Hidden Souls - 150min

This was a very short and easy game, definitely not one of my favorite Saturn games but its ok

Playstation 1

--------------

Final Fantasy Tactics - 60min

• Like 3

MY WEEK - JULY 7th-13th - Only Atari 2600:

1) Colony 7 (Homebrew) - 18 minutes

2) Mr. Do! - 15 minutes

3) Night Driver - 3 minutes

4) No Escape - 3 minutes

5) Pac-Man - 12 minutes

6) Pick Up [Prototype] - 6 minutes

7) Pole Position - 4 minutes

8. Princess Rescue (Homebrew) - 50 minutes

9) Skiing - 8 minutes

10) Telepathy [Prototype] - 5 minutes

11) The Music Machine - 5 minutes

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 2600 Colony 7 - 339,300 points

2) 2600 Princess Rescue - 187,890 points (5 Starting Lives and Game Completed)

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (July 7th through 13th)...

Arcade:

Moonwalker - 79 min. in 4 sessions

Elevator Action - 45 min.

In Moonwalker, I tried "pumping". This is depressing the fire button for a longer time and then releasing. I already did this before when morphed into a robot, where holding the button down for a second gives a fully charged super-shot on release, and the normal shot on pressing it. This also works if you're the human Michael Jackson, you have to depress the button for at least half a second to release a light shot, but the shot increases in intensity if you hold it down for a longer time. Note that MJ stops momentarily on each shot, so this may not be the right strategy if you plan on walking quickly.

In Elevator Action, I accomplished the goal of reaching the factory-set high score of 10,000 points, which occurs after clearing the first level. It's pretty tricky to avoid those gangsters who kneel down in order to shoot you at a low level, because you can't hit them unless you kneel down yourself (or are in an elevator below them).

However, there wasn't too much time for gaming this week because I had a visit at a Dr. at the General Hospital on Wednesday, and yesterday I played keyboard and sang at a friend's marriage.

• Like 3