IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Four days late, but: here's the summary for Week 32, running from August 4 - 10! We logged 1733 minutes of eligible play, playing 24 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 492

2. Galaxian (ColecoVision) - 390

3. Baldur's Gate (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 355

4. Frankie Goes to Hollywood (C64) - 80

5. China Syndrome (Atari 2600) - 70

6. Mouse Trap (ColecoVision) - 60

7. Frogger II: Threedeep! (Atari 5200) - 55

8. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 50

9. Spacemaster X-7 (Atari 2600) - 40

10. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 37

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 492

2. Galaxian (ColecoVision) - 390

3. Frankie Goes to Hollywood (C64) - 80

4. China Syndrome (Atari 2600) - 70

5. Mouse Trap (ColecoVision) - 60

6. Frogger II: Threedeep! (Atari 5200) - 55

7. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 50

8. Spacemaster X-7 (Atari 2600) - 40

9. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 37

10. Parsec (TI-99) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (639)

2. ColecoVision (450)

3. PC (Windows 95/98) (355)

4. C64 (86)

5. TI-99 (70)

6. Atari 5200 (55)

7. Atari 7800 (50)

8. Sega Master System (10)

9. Creativision (8)

10. SNES (5)

In a fairly quiet week, the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision lead the charge for pre-crash systems, taking the #1 and #2 spots across the board. The ColecoVision port of Galaxian also becomes the 132nd member of the 1000-minute club and the 4th-most-played CV game, with 1232 minutes logged.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Starmaster: 5 min

NES

Four Player Tennis: 2 min

SNES

Royal Conquest (JAP): 8 min

The Tennis Tournament Grand Slam: 10 min

Mega Drive

Crüe Ball: 15 min

Game Boy Classic

Super Mario Land: 4 min

Game Boy Color

Ultimate Paintball: 3 min

PC

Baldur's Gate: 585 min

Philips G7000

Electronic Billard: 7 min

Super Cobra: 16 min

A new (and pretty bulky) ship in my fleet of consoles: the G7000, aka Odyssey2. Now that's a primitive - and absolutely adorable - piece of technology.

In other news, it turned out I wasn't supposed to be at that boss in Baldur's Gate at my level. So I grinded on.

• Like 2

SNES

The Tennis Tournament Grand Slam: 10 min

Is this a Mega Drive game? I can't find anything about an SNES release, but the Mega Drive release is the EU version of Jennifer Capriati Tennis.

BTW I strongly suspect that game uses the same codebase as Super Tennis on the SNES, or at the very least is a fastidious clone.

• Like 1

Is this a Mega Drive game? I can't find anything about an SNES release, but the Mega Drive release is the EU version of Jennifer Capriati Tennis.

BTW I strongly suspect that game uses the same codebase as Super Tennis on the SNES, or at the very least is a fastidious clone.

Oops, sorry. You are of course right. That's a Mega Drive game. Slipped into the wrong column. I wasn't overly impressed with that game. Maybe that's why I didn't pay much attention.

• Like 1

Oops, sorry. You are of course right. That's a Mega Drive game. Slipped into the wrong column. I wasn't overly impressed with that game. Maybe that's why I didn't pay much attention.

Heh, no worries. The US release is comically easy on the first playthrough, but you get a password at the end that unlocks a set of much tougher opponents.

They should've just made that mode available from the start -- and more damningly, they should've used the password system for actually suspending gameplay between matches (what a wild notion!), instead of having it do nothing but preserve created characters and unlock the harder mode. As it stands, you have to beat the whole game in one sitting, which is silly.

I'm curious as to what the most played Colecovision games are.

As of now, they are:

1. Steamroller (3259)
2. Mouse Trap (2191)
3. Pepper II (1710)
4. Galaxian (1232)
5. Astrododge (920)
  • Like 2

Very little gaming this week. I tackled my malfunctioning controller for the Channel F, but didn't get it to register properly, might be a bad connector. I soldered up a make-shift controller using eight tactile switches, so I could play a few games and determine that all controls indeed register correctly.

Channel F:

Pac-Man - 8 min.

Tetris - 22 min.

post-5454-0-70520900-1408293694_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (August 11th through 17th)...

Arcade:

Kangaroo - 104 min. in 2 sessions

I just played this one game. It's my first week back at work after three weeks off, but it's still sweetened by the 15th of August being a holiday, so free of work (at least here in Austria). As I maybe said last week, I'm still trying to change my life in a big way, so I'm working towards that goal a lot currently.

In Kangaroo, I completed the first round and got to the second one. But I never got what's displayed in the intro to the second round, an ape throwing a big apple vertically so I could hit it and cause it to bounce back at the throwing ape. They just throw small apples which disappear after being hit.

• Like 2

TI-99

Parsec - 30min

Car wars - 5min

7800 via win7 phone emulator -

Bentley Bear - 5min

Frogger - 20min

DOS -

Wolfienstien 3D - 140min

2600 -

Sea quest - 30min

Non qualifying times

Win7 phone -

Sea quest remake - 20min

Xbox -

Spartan Total Warrior - 765min

Men of Valor - 45min

• Like 2

MY WEEK - August 11th-17th:

Atari 2600:

1) KLAX (Prototype) - 20 minutes

2) Spacemaster X-7 - 90 minutes

3) Strategy X - 40 minutes

For the first time, I posted a public video through Facebook Video, which shows my Spacemaster X-7 pattern which I found and defined as a screenplay to roll the score (over 1 Million Points).

Description: My pattern which works well after the completion of Stage 28, when the difficulty reaches the maximum. If you complete 28 levels and then follow this pattern with a lot of concentration, you will be able to get more significant scores.

URL to check the 15-second video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=556461954477103&set=vb.100003399100792&type=2&theater

In 2600 Klax, my screenplay to get more significant score has been based on the tips which I wrote on 2600 OLD High Score Club, Season 7 / Week 43 (Posts #23 and #24).

Check out the last KLAX thread in the following URL: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/164270-hsc-season-7-week-43-klax/

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 2600 Spacemaster X-7 - 1,000,000+ points (Rolled The Score)

2) 2600 Strategy X - 9450 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3lcIitascs

3) 2600 KLAX - 93,300 points
  • Like 2

My times for the week:

Arcade:

Asteroids Deluxe - 6 min.

Donkey Kong - 3 min.

Phoenix - 11 min.

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - 7 min.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 19 min.

Atari 2600:

MMSBC 2 - 2 min.

NES:

Deathbots - 14 min.

Flying Dragon - 22 min.

Game Boy:

Chessmaster - 5 min.

James Bond 007 - 1 min.

Out of Gas - 12 min.

PlayStation:

Air Combat - 2 min.

Darklight Conflict - 2 min.

V-Tennis - 9 min.

Dreamcast:

Demolition Racer: No Exit - 3 min.

Gauntlet Legends - 341 min.

Over the past two weeks I didn't play a single video game until the last day of my honeymoon, when my wife and I went to the excellent Game Grid Arcade in Salt Lake City. After beating the unusual laserdisc-esque game The Act (which is too recent to count for the tracker), we played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for a while, but ran out of our first batch of tokens by Stage 3. Actually, I found the game had aged rather poorly and was more of an empty quarter-eater than I remembered.

After giving up on TMNT we had just enough time before our flight to play a few older games, including Pitfall II which was much cooler than I expected -- a pity I didn't have time to do a complete playthrough. I also got the high score on Phoenix. We also played a bit of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy somewhere in there, but abandoned it after the first level-and-a-half.

Once we got back to the East Coast on Friday, I fired up some new acquisitions I'd bought at VIP Games -- a very nice retrogaming store in Boise, ID -- and my wife and I started work on Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast on Very Hard difficulty. Finally, I messed around in emulation with two lesser-known NES games, of which one (Deathbots) may well be among the worst games I've ever played.

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 33, running from August 11 - 17. We logged 3115 minutes of eligible play, playing 48 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 633

2. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation) - 608

3. Baldur's Gate (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 585

4. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast) - 341

5. Wolfenstein 3D (PC (DOS)) - 140

6. JetPack! (ColecoVision) - 120

7. Kangaroo (Arcade) - 104

8. Spacemaster X-7 (Atari 2600) - 90

9. Ninja Gaiden (NES/Famicom) - 42

10. Strategy X (Atari 2600) - 40

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 633

2. JetPack! (ColecoVision) - 120

3. Kangaroo (Arcade) - 104

4. Spacemaster X-7 (Atari 2600) - 90

5. Strategy X (Atari 2600) - 40

6. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 30

6. Parsec (TI-99) - 30

8. Tetris (Fairchild Channel F) - 22

9. Klax (Atari 2600) - 20

9. Frogger (Atari 7800) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (820)

2. PlayStation (621)

3. PC (Windows 95/98) (585)

4. Dreamcast (344)

5. Arcade (150)

6. PC (DOS) (140)

7. ColecoVision (120)

8. NES/Famicom (90)

9. Genesis (52)

10. TI-99 (35)

A strong fight for the top spot this week, with three different contenders aiming for #1, but the venerable Kaboom ends up edging out its younger competitors.

However, Baldur's Gate has the consolation prize of becoming the 133rd member of the 1000-minute club, with 1090 minutes logged, while Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast is now the 134th member with 1220 minutes.

• Like 3

By the way, if anyone's curious, here are the Atari 2600 games that were released in NTSC and haven't shown up on the tracker yet:

3-D Tic-Tac-Toe
Atari Video Cube
Basic Math
BASIC Programming
Berenstain Bears
Checkers (Activision)
Codebreaker
Death Trap
Eli's Ladder
Gamma-Attack
Gauntlet
Glacier Patrol
Glib
Guardian
Hunt & Score
Ikari Warriors
International Soccer
IQ-180*
Killer Satellites
MagiCard
Math Gran Prix
Out of Control
Party Mix
Racquetball
Shootin' Gallery
Slot Machine
Spitfire Attack
Springer
Star Fox
Stone Age*
Strawberry Shortcake
Super Challenge Baseball
Super Challenge Football
Super Football
Survival Island
Survival Run
Sword of Saros
SwordQuest: WaterWorld
Tac-Scan
Title Match Pro Wrestling
Video Jogger
Video Reflex
IQ 180 and Stone Age are marginal, there are some non-games in there like BASIC Programming and MagiCard, and I may have missed a few games. Either way, though, I'm surprised by some of the omissions like Survival Run and Ikari Warriors. I could've sworn I played Tac-Scan at some point in the last few years, but maybe I only did it for a few seconds?
  • Like 2

IQ 180 and Stone Age are marginal, there are some non-games in there like BASIC Programming and MagiCard, and I may have missed a few games. Either way, though, I'm surprised by some of the omissions like Survival Run and Ikari Warriors. I could've sworn I played Tac-Scan at some point in the last few years, but maybe I only did it for a few seconds?

I'm pretty sure I played Ikari Warriors extensively when it came on in the 2600 HSC I took part in back then. I even posted a pretty extensive hint section, including a streak where, after you took a tank, you should proceed as fast as possible in order to reach the fuel pod which allows you to extend your time in the tank. That, however, was from September 18th through 21th, 2008, when I played it for 209 minutes in total. This must have taken place in one week (Thursday to Sunday). However, this was before I posted my first times here, which was on February 2nd, 2009 (unless I recorded this activity under a different title). I don't know if a 2008 thread even existed. I didn't play Ikari Warriors 2600 again after that, as far as it seems. So that may explain why it wasn't recorded on the tracker. I can't remember having played any of the other games in the last years, however.

• Like 1

OYAMAFAMILY NEWS:

1) Debut Video Capture Software:

Firstly, learn more about the mechanics of this software - http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/

Debut Video Capture Software is another program which is free for HOME use only, in which you can record videos via screen capture, or using a camera. It's easy to use and I tried it yesterday (August 20, 2014). See the picture which shows the Debut Video Control Panel.

post-24681-0-43738100-1408664611_thumb.png

In this program, you can choose one of any available format to record videos: .AVI, .MOV, .MP4, .MPG, .WMV etc. By clicking on "Video Options" button, you will find the Limit Framerate, which can be adjusted from 0 to 60 cycles (60 Frames per Second is the ideal). Also, you can put subtitles in the video (example: OYAMAFAMILY (WTO), just to identify who recorded it).

2) FOOD FIGHT (ATARI 7800 - INTERMEDIATE SKILL)

On August 19th, 2014, a historical moment occurred - I beat the record which belonged to Sauron (792,400 points), reaching an historical score of 815,400 points on this thrilling gameplay. I'm going to provide 2 videos: the 790,200-point gameplay which I recorded and obtained in 2013 for 7800 High Score Club Season 6 (in this gameplay, I LOST my concentration when I was very, very, very close to reach 800,000 points), and the 815,400-point which I obtained this week (August 19, 2014).

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

Atari 2600

Landungskommando (aka Strategy X): 10 min

Marauder: 8 min

Master System

Tom & Jerry the Movie: 5 min

N64

Dark Rift: 12 min

Diddy Kong Racing: 18 min

No time at all this week for Baldur's Gate. If next week will be like this, I am afraid I will lose momentum. For me, it's always hard to get back to such a complex game after a longer hiatus. On the other hand, I have hardly scratched on the surface of the storyline yet. We'll see how it turns out.

I also scored a lot of stuff on some flea markets, nothing of which I was able to test yet. The playtime for this week consists of a little 2600 HSC (Landungskommando), a tiny bit of testing (Marauder, Tom & Jerry), and a quick N64 session with my 17-year old nephew while I was visiting my parents last sunday.

Tom & Jerry on the SMS, by the way, is an absolutely gorgeous looking game. Very nice animations. Gameplay isn't all that spectacular, though. Still worth a few bucks if you happen to stumble across a cart.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (August 18th through 24th)...

Arcade:

Kangaroo - 68 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Chef Menü Italientour - 6 min.

TI-99:

Tombstone City - 256 min. in 5 sessions

The Attack - 43 min.

I continued to play Kangaroo for a while and got to the 3rd round of Level 2 (or vice-versa).

Then I started to play "Tombstone City" on the TI-99 after converting its title music and some sounds to an MP3. Tombstone City is the game whose source code was packaged with Editor/Assembler to study and experiment. Actually, if you take a closer look, it shows it was programmed in Texas because it references some things usual in Western movies and some other things typical to Texas.

The Attack is a game very similar to Tombstone city, but still distinctly different. The monsters you fight against are bigger and faster than your ship, and they come out of generators which are the only thing you can hide behind until they disappear. There would be a third similar game called Blasto, but I didn't play that.

Finally, Chef Menü Italientour is a dumbed-down version of Zuma / Puzz Loop where the balls (here: family members with colored plates) move from position to position rather than smoothly. This, however, would make creating an 8-bit version of it easier, although I don't know if it would be really worth it.

• Like 2

Not much classic console use this week just a quick play of commando on 7800 as most of my free time was spent playing the windows phone exclusive Dragons Blade II :)

Atari 7800 -

Commando - 20min

Non qualifying times

Win7 phone -

Dragons Blade II - 960min
This is a awesome old school turn based rpg. I definitely recommend it to anyone who has a windows phone and enjoys this type of game. And as a added bonus the game even includes multiplayer :) I haven't tried the online yet but you can switch from singleplayer and mmo at anytime :)
I been playing the free ad supported version but there's also a premium version with no ads for only $4, the free version contains all the features of the paid version so no real reason to upgrade unless you hate ads :D

• Like 2

MY WEEK - AUGUST 18th-24th:

Atari 2600:

1) Dolphin - 58 minutes (2600 NEW HSC, Season 3 / Week 26)

2) Strategy X - 10 minutes (2600 NEW HSC, Season 3 / Week 25)

Season 3 of 2600 NEW HSC is on the last wave - 3 final weeks with Double Points and Special Bonus for beating the leaders. I'm on the Silver Medal Zone (9th - 16th place on the overall rankings, 12th spot is my current ranking), and I will try the Silver Medal for this season, which will be less difficult than Gold Medal in my projection.

Atari 7800:

1) Food Fight - 68 minutes (7800 HSC, Season 7 / Round 9)

2) Frenzy/Berzerk - 98 minutes in many sessions (7800 HSC, Season 7 / Round 9 - Bonus Frenzy Flashback)

In the previous season (Season 6), I was the Champion as you can see in the following page: Season 6 (2013) Final Standings.

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 7800 Frenzy - 13,310 points

2) 7800 Food Fight Advanced - 322,400 points (exclusive for HighScore.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhnqUEK242Q

3) 2600 Strategy X - 10,270 points

4) 2600 Dolphin - Game 1-BB - 299,990 points (with audio, recorded on my laptop in September 2013)

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2