IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

My (very minimal) times for the week, more or less exclusively testing out new acquisitions:
Game Boy:
Batman Forever - 1 min.
Daedalian Opus - 2 min.
Fortress of Fear: Wizards & Warriors X - 2 min.
Hyper Lode Runner - 1 min.
Kwirk - 2 min.
Malibu Beach Volleyball - 1 min.
Marble Madness - 1 min.
Motocross Maniacs - 2 min.
Top Rank Tennis - 2 min.
Game Boy Color:

Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 3 - 1 min.

Wings of Fury - 1 min.

I don't normally encourage submitting a huge pile of 1-2 minute times, but hey, I'm the statskeeper. :evil:

• Like 3

Here are my also minimal times for this week (November 10th through 16th)...

Sorry, no times at all. I've not been playing anything this week. Instead I had some conversations with a musician in Ohio who contacted me about my Karaoke CD+G authoring software ClearSwipe, and I tried hard to write a new LPC encoder for speech on the TI-99. Sadly, I wasn't quite successful. I managed to get something working which at first glance uses the same data format, and when playing back with my simulation, it sounded pretty good, but on the TI-99 itself, it turned out it still was incompatible since the LPC coefficients are interpreted in a different way than I thought. Only the pitch and gain information were correct, but the speech itself was not understandable. Then I tried to adapt some code I found in the Internet which would convert the samples into the correct LPC coefficients, but it still doesn't work out, the thing still sounds pretty wrong, a bit if Mickey Mouse was talking.

• Like 2

Ended up playing a bit more during some downtime:

Game Boy:
Marble Madness - 40 min.
Truly terrible port with horrible physics. Making matters worse, it removes the Ultimate race and just loops back to the second (Beginner) race instead! At least that makes it easier to beat, I guess, and would normally shorten the agony -- but I ended up looping it 4x and got over 100k points.
  • Like 2

Glad to have you on record with this. I always felt a bit bad posting only minimal times. But when the alpha wolf can do it... :D

Heh, indeed! And actually I honestly don't mind the short times, really -- though I will say that if someone does post a huge list, it helps a lot if they're alphabetized. Otherwise I have to copy them into a document, sort them, etc., since I find that inputting them in non-alphabetical order makes errors more likely.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 46, running from November 10 - 16. We logged 1661 minutes of eligible play, playing 51 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Diablo (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 690

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 284

3. Joust (Atari 2600) - 133

4. Atlantis (Atari 2600) - 61

5. Taz (Atari 2600) - 44

6. Marble Madness (Game Boy) - 41

7. Pac-Man (TI-99/4A) - 35

8. Sword of Fargoal (VIC-20) - 26

9. Return to Krondor (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 25

10. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 20

10. Tetris (Game Boy) - 20

10. Tris 2 (TI-99/4A) - 20

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 284

2. Joust (Atari 2600) - 133

3. Atlantis (Atari 2600) - 61

4. Taz (Atari 2600) - 44

5. Pac-Man (TI-99/4A) - 35

6. Sword of Fargoal (VIC-20) - 26

7. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 20

7. Tris 2 (TI-99/4A) - 20

9. Ms. Pac-man (TI-99/4A) - 15

9. Munch Man II (TI-99/4A) - 15

9. Shamus (TI-99/4A) - 15

9. TI-Scramble (TI-99/4A) - 15

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries for a top 10. (Windows 95/98 would have been #1, with 730 minutes logged this week, and the Atari 2600 at #2 with 587 minutes.)

Another RPG puts up big numbers in Week 46, as hack 'n' slash PC game Diablo takes the top spot. With 1035 minutes total, it also becomes the 138th member of the 1000-minute club.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

1. Midnight Magic - 63 min

2. Stargunner - 10 min

3. Threshold - 7 min

4. Time Pilot - 6 min

5. Up N' Down - 2 min

6. Video Pinball - 22 min

7. Worm War I - 5 min

NES:

Ms. Pac-Man Tengen License - 25 min

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 2600 Midnight Magic - Games 1BB and 1AA in sequence

2) 2600 Video Pinball - Games 1AA and 1BB in sequence

• Like 2

Back above detection limit with my weekly playtimes.

Atari 2600

Boxing: 1 min

Dschungel Boy: 3 min

E.T.: 10 min

Smurf: 6 min

Spacechase: 6 min

Starmaster: 3 min

SNES

Blazeon: 10 min

Dead Dance (Japan) - aka Tuff E Nuff: 7 min

Ghoul Patrol: 9 min

Pagemaster, The: 4 min

Mega Drive

Animaniacs: 3 min

Ex-Mutants: 17 min

I've heard bad things about Ex-Mutants. Picked it up just for shits and giggles, but it's actually pretty fun. The Ex-Mutants comics are an X-Men ripoff? Yep. But does that make this a bad game? Nope. Due to it's reputation, it's usually cheap. I say: go for it.

Game Boy Classic

Kid Icarus: 5 min

Snoopy's Magic Show: 15 min

Snoopy is a neat little action puzzle game. I found it for a Euro on a flea market and played the first 12-15 levels. Nice game for a quick (and sometimes unfair) challenge on the go. Password system, plenty extra lives and continue feature level out the sometimes cheap deaths.

Game Boy Color

Donald Duck Quack Attack: 5 min

• Like 2

TI-99 -

BattleStar - 5min

This is a fairly decent game, you play as a battlestar in the center of the screen and must fight off invading star ships

Flappy Bird - 5min

Planet Hunter - 20min

Only played this to see if maybe the F18A video upgrade would fix missing sprites in section 2, it doesn't :(

Road Hunter - 10min

Sabre Wulf - 4min

TI Scramble - 4min

Titanium - 15min

Win 95 -

Fallout - 80min

Shadow Watch - 245min

I just picked this one up, I remembered playing a demo of it back in the day but couldn't remember the name. Then I found it :D very fun turn based strategy game ;)

Win 98 -

Farscape - 30min

WWII Desert Rats - 55min

Colecovision -

Choplifter - 5min

Mecha 8 - 20min

Module Man - 10min

Ms. Space Fury - 5min

Oils Well - 8min

Princess Quest - 10min

Space Fury - 30min

Super Cross Force - 5min

Played these on my new Colecovision Flashback the old lady got me :)

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (November 17th through 23rd)...

Commodore 64:

Donkey Kong Junior - 17 min.

TI-99:

Samecolors - 5 min.

I've only played two games and not for a long time since there was much to do at work this week, and I continued to write my speech converter for the TI-99 which I finally accomplished (see the thread Game Programming / Programming / TI-99/4A Programming / Playground for more details).

Donkey Kong Jr. for the C-64 is a game that really should have been out 30 years ago, but was just a few weeks ago released by a homebrewer. It's a port of the Atari 7800 version, and it looks and plays definitely better than the Colecovision version, although it's not completely fluid in framerate. There are also some differences to the arcade in sound and some brushed-up background graphics. Maybe it would have been better to use the NES version for the codebase, but I'm still pleased that this game has finally been done.

Samecolors is a TI-99 game by Harry Wilhelm, a puzzle game where you have to clear adjacent blocks by selecting them and pressing Space. Now I'm pretty sure I've seen this game before on a different platform under a different name, and there's another TI-99 game called Clickety which does almost the same. However, what's special about Samecolors is that it runs on the unexpanded TI-99, but is still a fast assembler game. With a C-64 this would be no problem since it has 64K of CPU ram, but the TI-99 only has 256 bytes of CPU ram, so parts of the program constantly have to be paged in from the 16K video RAM in order to be executed, in addition to the fact that normally TI BASIC doesn't support running machine code programs at all, and a trick had to be used to get there. Yet this is a professional looking and fast game.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (November 17th through 23rd)...

Commodore 64:

Donkey Kong Junior - 17 min.

TI-99:

Samecolors - 5 min.

I've only played two games and not for a long time since there was much to do at work this week, and I continued to write my speech converter for the TI-99 which I finally accomplished (see the thread Game Programming / Programming / TI-99/4A Programming / Playground for more details).

Donkey Kong Jr. for the C-64 is a game that really should have been out 30 years ago, but was just a few weeks ago released by a homebrewer. It's a port of the Atari 7800 version, and it looks and plays definitely better than the Colecovision version, although it's not completely fluid in framerate. There are also some differences to the arcade in sound and some brushed-up background graphics. Maybe it would have been better to use the NES version for the codebase, but I'm still pleased that this game has finally been done.

Samecolors is a TI-99 game by Harry Wilhelm, a puzzle game where you have to clear adjacent blocks by selecting them and pressing Space. Now I'm pretty sure I've seen this game before on a different platform under a different name, and there's another TI-99 game called Clickety which does almost the same. However, what's special about Samecolors is that it runs on the unexpanded TI-99, but is still a fast assembler game. With a C-64 this would be no problem since it has 64K of CPU ram, but the TI-99 only has 256 bytes of CPU ram, so parts of the program constantly have to be paged in from the 16K video RAM in order to be executed, in addition to the fact that normally TI BASIC doesn't support running machine code programs at all, and a trick had to be used to get there. Yet this is a professional looking and fast game.

I'll have to try that DK Jr. for C64. Is it freely available?

• Like 1

My times for the week:
NES:
Battletank - 17 min.
Genesis:
AWS Pro Moves Soccer - 19 min.
Columns - 122 min.
Marsupilami - 68 min.
Star Control - 166 min.
Game Boy:
Spot's Cool Adventure - 21 min.

Beat Melee mode in Star Control on Good and Awesome difficulties, which was good fun. I also beat the Flash Columns mode in Columns on Pro 9 difficulty (which I'd done before).

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 47, running from November 17 - 23. We logged 2048 minutes of eligible play, playing 64 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shadow Watch (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 335

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 216

3. Star Control (Genesis) - 166

4. Star Castle (Vectrex) - 130

5. Columns (Genesis) - 122

6. Fallout (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 80

7. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 71

8. Marsupilami (Genesis) - 68

9. Midnight Magic (Atari 2600) - 63

10. Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (Arcade) - 60

10. Flappy (Atari 2600) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 216

2. Star Castle (Vectrex) - 130

3. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 71

4. Midnight Magic (Atari 2600) - 63

5. Flappy (Atari 2600) - 60

6. Pac-Man 4K (Atari 2600) - 50

7. Space Fury (ColecoVision) - 30

8. Video Pinball (Atari 2600) - 22

9. Adventure (Atari 2600) - 20

9. Mecha-8 (ColecoVision) - 20

9. Planet Hunter (TI-99/4A) - 20

9. Berzerk (Vectrex) - 20

9. Hyperchase (Vectrex) - 20

9. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. PC (Windows 95/98) (500)

2. Atari 2600 (490)

3. Genesis (395)

4. Vectrex (205)

5. ColecoVision (109)

6. Atari 8-bit (71)

7. TI-99/4A (68)

8. Arcade (60)

9. NES/Famicom (57)

10. Game Boy (41)

64 games and 2048 minutes? If only we'd played twice as much! But Kaboom's 6^3 minutes aren't enough to match PC title Shadow Watch, while the Atari 2600 is just barely edged out on the system charts by the PC platform's (5^3)*(2^2) minutes.

Meanwhile we have yet another new entrant in the 10^3-minute club, as M.U.L.E. for Atari 8-bit becomes the 138th member of that illustrious circle with 1040 minutes logged to date.

• Like 3

Thanksgiving = TG as in TurboGrafx

Cratermaze - 75 minutes. I've never played this before. Bomberman is clearly related to this game. Fun but I need to play the more challenging version.

Exile - 15 minutes.

Exile II - Wicked Phenomenon - 15 minutes. I didn't really get into either version.

• Like 2