IGNORED

Wolfenstein 3D: how to load a save game

LS650

I just picked up a used Wolfenstein 3D cart. It seems like a good deal... but I'm wondering if I received a defective cart.

Last night I completed the first level and did a save game. Ok... now how do I load the save game?

From reading the manual, it sounds like when I power up the cart, at the main menu, instead of starting a "new game", I can select left or right and then open a saved game?

Is that correct? I've tried running through these a few times, even doing a *-Option-# to clear cart memory and try again. When I hit 1, 2, or 3, I hear a ding and it says "Save Game 1" etc.

However, I can't figure out how to pickup the saved game and continue...

I've done your test a few times Jagasaurus, but no luck.

I will try giving the cart pins a thorough cleaning. I don't have any problems doing saves on other carts, so I think it unlikely the console itself is the problem.

The storage is supposed to be good for 100,000 writes, but I wonder if it has some kind of flaw.

I gave the cart pin-outs a very thorough cleaning. No change. I even swapped out the Jaguar console with a spare I have - no difference.

The cart runs great, except it will not save games, which sucks. I bought it on eBay for $20, so I've written to the seller to ask for a return.

The auction did say to keep the original box for returns, which I did, so hopefully he won't give me any hassles.

Edited by ls650

Strange. Does anyone know if there have been any other reported instances of save functionality ceasing to work on Jag carts?

I asked a similar question on JSII awhile back... IIRC one of the guys had a Theme Park cart that wouldn't hold saves.

Interesting LS... looks like you have the second defective cart in history ;) hope the return works out.

I heard back from the seller. He pointed out that I will lose out on shipping if I send it back, so he offered he $10.

I paid $20 + $7 shipping originally. I guess he has a point: $7 to ship back for a $20 refund doesn't gain me anything.

It's too bad there isn't some kind of cheat to skip levels.

I heard back from the seller. He pointed out that I will lose out on shipping if I send it back, so he offered he $10.

I paid $20 + $7 shipping originally. I guess he has a point: $7 to ship back for a $20 refund doesn't gain me anything.

It's too bad there isn't some kind of cheat to skip levels.

Did you try to erease the memory with option + whatever the combination was? Might be worth a try. I had a syndicate that somehow messed up my savegame. After ereasing the memory everything worked pretty well (aside from my motivation to conquer the world again. :-))

Yep, I did a *+Option+* and it says the cartridge is erased. No change, though.

Ah well. I did a Google search and found that at the main menu, if you press 1+3+7+9 simultaneously, you can select the map and floor. That seems to work fine. It's a minor pain but at least I can now play through the game if I take note of my last finished floor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Strange. Does anyone know if there have been any other reported instances of save functionality ceasing to work on Jag carts?

I asked a similar question on JSII awhile back... IIRC one of the guys had a Theme Park cart that wouldn't hold saves.

Interesting LS... looks like you have the second defective cart in history ;) hope the return works out.

AN UPDATE TO THIS THREAD...

I too, have just recently been subjected to the same situation.

I've only owned my Wolf3D for 4 or 5 years (it was bought sealed/new), but it's only been played 2 or 3 times a year at the most. AvP & Doom certainly hold my attention for much longer, thus, get MUCH more play time from me. I just throw Wolf3D in from time to time to mix things up a little... and to hear that phenomenal soundtrack! :love:

Anyway... I'd started playing Wolf3D again recently. It had some old save games on there already from previous stints. But, I decided to start from scratch.

I'd been playing it a mission or two/three each evening for a few nights, saving at the beginning of each new level (to #1 etc). However...

When I came to play it yesterday, when I went to scroll along to my save games, it wouldn't budge beyond 'New Game'. So, I powered it off and tried again. But, no change.

So, I started again, played a few missions (passing the first boss and collecting the key etc) and, at the beginning of the next mission, saved the game and quitted out to main menu (#+*). However, once again, no save game to be found. I repeated the process and physically powered off the console, just to see if the key shortcut was causing a conflict. But no.

SO...

I came on here and did a search, just to see if anyone else had experienced this before and, low and behold, here we are. So, I tried the memory erase code, just to see if that would work. But alas, nope.

I have no idea WTF has happened to my 'as new' cart, but I'm pretty pissed off about this tbh. I can't actually afford to replace it right now either. How annoying.

It has, however, spurned me on to pull out the 3DO version and start playing through that version instead. Still undecided on which version I actually prefer though. They're both really good, but in response to comments about the music (re: CD quality), I actually prefer the Jag's music, personally...

Wait, what??? You mean I can save the game??? Unless I'm horribly oblivious, I've totally never noticed this. When do you even get the opportunity to save the game?

At any point during gameplay. If you check the keypad overlay, 1, 2 + 3 are all separate save slots, which can be loaded from the main menu at any time. Simply press any one of those numbers mid game to save your progress. I always save at the VERY beginning of the next mission.

Unless you have my cart of course, which is now seemingly f*cked... :_(

Oh well. You can use the cheat code above to start any floor, minus weapons except pistol. Personally I find the game more enjoyable that way, as it forces you to search for more weapons right away, which are usually hidden near the starting point on any floor.

Back in the day I killed my safegame by accidently pressing one of the numbers after just starting up the game. Never tried to replay it all again.

That is why I save to #1 and #2 always when I accidently kill a save game a have a second one :grin: I have been there.

I recently got me another PS3 the otherone died and I forgot to take the HDD out so all my saved games were lost also...Then I thought were are the days it was saved on a cartridge :mad:

My Iron Soldier Cart which I believe was new has never saved a game, or if it did there was no clear method of recovering it as it is not behaving the same as my IS2 cart in that regard.

• 6 years later...

Just happened to me. Have been replaying Wolf 3D. Leaving my cart in the Jag.

We had a brownout at the house the other day, when I fired the Jag back up that evening all three save files were gone as well as " last game.". I thought it must be due to the brownout (short loss of power) and started another game and saved it.  When I went to fire it up tonight the save game was gone and I had only the option to start a new game.  Tried again saving after first level and it was gone again after a restart. 

The EEPROMS must be touchy in this cart?  Oh well....bummer, seems like my copy is now fried as well.  Never leave your Wolf cart (or any cart with built in saves?) In the Jaguar I guess or risk losing save capabilities. 

Certainly was not maxing out "100,000 changes" that are allowed per the manual. I was probably at like 200 saves tops. 

Where can I get a new EEPROM to solder in? I'm not opposed to that idea. 

• Sad 1