IGNORED

CAVEBLASTER+

Sikor

Enhanced version of CAVEBLASTER, made by Holgibo to NYD2014.

Main changes:

+ Added font

+ Added music on menu screen (thx to Miker!)

+ More char is in use

+ Special option after SELECT pressed on main screen:

+ possibility change font set

+ possibility change ship set

We (me and Holgibo) decided to put it as atr file - but game can simply run as xex file (rename autorun.sys to other name, if you wish). Game can start from any folder from any disk drive (casette player, etc). Special function is available only with DOS.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

COMPO for glory only: if you can - please, make your own font set and ship set to our game! (ship is 8x8 pixel PMG data!). Please, insert it to this thread!

On disk we attached:

DOS SYS 0037
DUP SYS 0042
AUTORUN SYS 0191 - main game (executable file)
CBP PMG 0001 - standard ship set (if you want return to it after changes)
CAR PMG 0001 - car ship set (made by me)
ATARI FNT 0009 - standard Atari font set (saved from ROM)
CBP FNT 0009 - standard Caveblaster font set (made by me)
TRACK1 FNT 0009 - exemplary font set for car ship
ROCKET PMG 0001 - ship for training game (is thinner than standard)

Have you good play!

CaveBlasterPlus_final.atr

• Like 3

@atarian63:

link t odownload the .atr is above

@gozar:

the detection is strictly. the only sometimes unfair constealltion is the "door" in the wall and the placement of the aliens. to reach a score higher than 1.200 in my oppinion you need luck. for my high score it was again very lucky. as I thought with 1.300 damn, only one life left and two blasts. but with boost and fair placements of the aliens and the "doors" it was possible to fly a really long time more.

@holger & sikor:

gameplay very phantastic. you made out of the really cool game a great games. makes fun and take not much time, youcan play in between. and sure a great title soundtrack from miker... well done boys, thanks!

@gozar:

the detection is strictly. the only sometimes unfair constealltion is the "door" in the wall and the placement of the aliens. to reach a score higher than 1.200 in my oppinion you need luck. for my high score it was again very lucky. as I thought with 1.300 damn, only one life left and two blasts. but with boost and fair placements of the aliens and the "doors" it was possible to fly a really long time more.

Am I doing something wrong with boost? When I hit the fire button nothing happens (tried it with my Sega gamepad and my Wico Boss).

Here is the manual for the game:

Can you be a real tough cavepilot?

Welcome to Caveblaster+, the real new challenge in the universe! Your mission is to explore the cave of QA. Even the best cavepilots failed in the caves of QA. The main goal is to become Mr.Spiff!, a real hero in space history. So fasten your seatbelts and start into the underground of QA!

Caveblaster+ is a game for one person, you can play it with a joystick.

You only can fly left or right to avoid crash. There are two special gadgets in your spaceship:

BOOST:
This makes your ship nearly two times faster (left/right). With every new ship you get 99 boostpoints.

BLAST:
Clears an area around your ship, perfect for breaking trough walls or other things in your way. You have 9 blasts for the whole game.

If one of this used up, the flipping color turns to brown, if both are zero it will turn to red.

How to become a real good cavepilot:

- Use the boost to get faster left or right

- Use the blast only if it is absolutely neccessary, often you can fly around using the boost option

- training, training training

- don't look at the scoreline, the game is to fast for it. just fly.

- allways keep your ship in the middle.

If one of this used up, the flipping color turns to brown, if both are zero it will turn to red.

RANKING:

0-999:Spacecook

1000-1999: Spacecadet

2000-2999: Bigblaster

3000 and more: Mr.Spiff!

------------------------------------------------
Caveblaster KIT (A special made by Sikor)

By pressing the SELECT function key on your Atari you will go to the KIT menu. This menu allows you to load your own Shipdesign (in standard PMG format) or your own charset for background graphics ( in standard FNT format, 1024 bytes) into the caveblaster+ game. So you can make it your special own fun game!

The Disk contains the following data:

DOS SYS 0037
DUP SYS 0042
AUTORUN SYS 0191 - main game (executable file)
CBP PMG 0001 - standard ship set
CAR PMG 0001 - car ship set (made by sikor)
ATARI FNT 0009 - standard Atari font set (saved from ROM - this you will need if you make your own special font)
CBP FNT 0009 - standard Caveblaster font set (made by sikor)
TRACK1 FNT 0009 - exemplary font set for car ship
ROCKET PMG 0001 - a thin ship for training game

Credits:

Idea: Holgibo
code: Holgibo + Sikor
music: miker

Thanks to all atarians in the world who keep the best 8-bit system ever made alive!

Edited by holgibo

Here is the manual for the game:

Can you be a real tough cavepilot?

Welcome to Caveblaster+, the real new challenge in the universe! Your mission is to explore the cave of QA. Even the best cavepilots failed in the caves of QA. The main goal is to become Mr.Spiff!, a real hero in space history. So fasten your seatbelts and start into the underground of QA!

Caveblaster+ is a game for one person, you can play it with a joystick.

You only can fly left or right to avoid crash. There are two special gadgets in your spaceship:

BOOST:

This makes your ship nearly two times faster (left/right). With every new ship you get 99 boostpoints.

BLAST:

Clears an area around your ship, perfect for breaking trough walls or other things in your way. You have 9 blasts for the whole game.

How to become a real good cavepilot:

- Use the boost to get faster left or right

Ah, boost is only for left and right. :-)

Yup, took me right back, used to post loads on Usenet to that group, did it all from my Amiga initially...

I just checked. comp.sys.atari.8bit is still there. And Ben Smith is still posting 3 or 4 spam messages a day. He singlehandedly ruined csa8.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

I just checked. comp.sys.atari.8bit is still there. And Ben Smith is still posting 3 or 4 spam messages a day. He singlehandedly ruined csa8.

I agree - reason I quit posting there. Kill filters are one thing, but when 200 other people start replying, it gets to be too much.

Ha ha...Just thought I'd look for me on comp.sys and first thing I found was this posted on my birthday to Phillip price, 1995

:)

Subject:      Re: What hapened to Philip PriceFrom:         paradise@netcom.comDate:         1995/06/28Message-Id:   Sender:       paradise@netcom7.netcom.comReferences:   <803861978snz@headroom.demon.co.uk>  <9506272133.00a7@dellos.demon.co.uk>Organization: NETCOM On-Line Communication Services (408 261-4700 guest)Newsgroups:   comp.sys.atari.8bitIn article <9506272133.00a7@dellos.demon.co.uk>,Paul 'Mclane' Irvine   wrote:
>>Well Phil GET BACK TO THE GAMES, we miss you mate....>>Still give tail of the beta a good bashing even now...and the music..Great..>You mentioned that you are possibly going back to games with a software>publisher??...what platform??? console or PC (yeuck)..>>Keep a thought for us poor old atarians who played and waited for games such as>yours to come out 1st time around..Maybe a little comeback????????>Yeah think about it please, It would be great to see a great Atari writer>putting something new into the pond....> The company manufactures a console and designs games for their own machines (this should leave a few  possibilities;). It is only one of three companies I have ever sent my resume to in the last ten years, and it was through one of their programmers who knew and greatly respected my work that initial contact was made(ie. without his initiative I wouldn't have sent my resume and would have just stayed in my comfortable corporate job).  The business can use as many creative people that they can get their hands on. The production values of games have greatly increased over the years, but playability has not kept pace. But most lacking is the art of grabbing someone's heart and stomach and giving them the ride of a lifetime. Since I live and breath games, have been a student of a plethora of the arts and sciences I hope to contribute what I am allowed to provide that thrill to fellow gamers.--                                              Philip Price                                             paradise@netcom.com
Edited by Mclaneinc