• Playstation
    • N64
    • Sega Saturn
    • Atari Jaguar
    • Amiga CD32
    • Laseractive
    • Apple Bandai Pippin

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

These consoles in the poll above, are the main squeeze of the generation that started having smooth 2D games and starting the move to 3D. Now while I can not vote as that would not be fair, My opinion is the 3DO. Only those who actually got it during its time and could afford the price could experience the great games on it, instead of watching horrid youtube reviewers make fun of it for 2 games.

Anyway second to that for me would possibly be the Playstation. Which after awhile started really putting out the good games.

What about you guys?

I know the N64 and Playstation outsold the other consoles by huge amounts, but I love the Saturn to this day. Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Virtua Cop & Virtua Cop 2 with the awesome Light Gun, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Nightwarriors, that awesome gamepad, Die Hard Arcade, no need for a memory card, Daytona, aaaand...that funky feature that lets you increase or decrease the pitch of vocals while playing a CD. Goofy fun.

Same for that screen saver of the spaceship. :)

Always hated the N64 controller, always thought the Playstation was without personality. And no, not in the "Volkswagens have personality because they break down all the time and you feel closer to them after having to fix them up a lot!" way, but in some other way. And that said, I loved Parappa, Einhander, Crash Bandicoot, and Tekken 3. :) But not as much as the Saturn games.

I went with Playstation for being RPG heaven. As much as I love Nintendo 64 for starting me off that generation and providing some of the best 3D platformers and first person shooter I've ever played, I'm just not quite as addicted to it as the Playstation. For me arcade-like games are something I ignored back in the days as I struggled with console versions' limited continues, but the Sega Saturn is very fun to explore now. Still a favorite is a favorite and Playstation has not yet been removed from my throne for it. Show me something on the Saturn that can wow me as much as Suikoden II and I'll take a look at it.

Edited by TheGameCollector

PS1, for the sheer size of its library. There's something for everyone there. Can't say as much for the N64, and the Saturn, while awesome, had mostly mediocre 3D/polygonal games (or, I should say, most not created by Sega were mediocre). The 3DO and Jaguar were no competition for either of those platforms by the time they bit the dust.

I'm not sure why the Amiga CD32 or LaserActive are on the list. They weren't even in the same playing field.

What era are we in now? If this is still the 3D era, the best console hasn't been invented yet. The graphics still aren't realistic enough (and usually too pixilated up close). It should look as good as HD video camera footage of real life scenes. NPCs are either too stiff or too bouncy or both and they're usually dumber than a monkey that had his brain replaced with a rabbit turd. Draw distance is still disappointing. I just hope the console I've been waiting for arrives while I'm still young enough to play.

The 3DO may be amazing for its era, but the PS1 is simply too far ahead of any other console to not be the winner. Immense library, all types of games, good controller, good video output (may seems trivial, but damn the N64 video looks like RF... and badly tuned RF); and I would say in Europe, nice game boxes with a style.

IMG20140119144105052_zps6b85697f.jpg

I remember trying the 3do, playstation, and n64 back in the day. ( I later owned a n64) I tried the 3do at a local game store. I think it was the first of these systems I tried. I was very impressed by the games and graphics. When I went to buy a new system I had the choice of either a playstation or a n64. I tried out both systems for an hour or so and I decided to buy an n64. I thought the ps1's graphics were inferior and I didn't like the load times.

It's easy to go back and say PS1 after the rise of the DualShock and it's amazing library but there for awhile when the N64 was new in town and it was the only one with an analog stick? My god, that was progress.

Mario 64, Turok, and Mystical Ninja were all "OH MY GOD WOW" moments for me with the combination of 3D and controlled movement. I remember on SM64, I played for THREE HOURS the first day without setting foot on Bob-Omb Battlefield. Just running around outside of town being able to crawl, walk, run, and jump around was incredible. PS1 had amazing games but it never had something mind blowing like that.

Mystical Ninja in particular, I remember setting foot outside of town the first time. you had this road before you and some adventure/travel music playing in the background and it was just like, "Wow, a whole world to explore!"

I think Saturn games as a whole aged a bit better than the rest. The overall brightness caused by its lack of lighting effects hits me in a very special place and more than the rest it tends to remind me of arcades of that era.

PS1 had some great games, and so many more of them too. If I were locked away on a desert island with only one of the two, it'd be ps1, but since that's never going to happen, my answer every time is Saturn.