IGNORED

PRO(C) ATARI - new printed atari 8bit magazine

powersoft

Hallo Atari-maniacs...

To make things clear:

every language edition containing the same articles.

but the german only in english

the english only in english

Articles are more than welcome from everyone, but please ask first, as space is limited and as I have an agreement with ABBUC not to release any interviews / game reports / hardware extensions with things coming into the contest to keep things fair for every contribution. Also to doublecheck if the same article won't be in the same ABBUC magazine too or already wrote by someone else for PRO© ATARI. So do not hesitate to get in touch with me concerning this.

For first issue already e.g. therealbountybob wrote on my request a nice story and introducing to the Atari Age High Score Club. I tell you this, cause this is a cool example of questions mentioned here. The original article is in english, but will be printed translated to german into the german edition. And surely we shop to introduce some maniacs out there this great High Score Club - I think there are some around do not know it or even know but need a small "kick" to return :)

To understand how this works all:

I got advertisement onto the envelope pages. With this it is possible to male the envelope pro-printed onto gloosy paper and the great cover looks just killer I guess. I got my own company where I work in music business. And for my company I got several hardware to make a small magazine, like color printer (no ink-jet for sure) and a so called booklet maker.

So the envelope for ALL editions will be the same and this is written in german matter as I never expected we turn out things so quickly also into english. This will changes in further editions (as the cover page is already in print) and I make it multi-langual.

All inner pages I print how much I need. And this is why it is possible to handle things like make a complete german edition and also a complete english edition. I just thought offering also personalized editions for real collectors, so there is a bottom line on each page with the magazine name, edition and page number. And I thought to make personalized editions and put in there like

PRO© ATARI - Issue 1 - Edition: your_name page xy

This will be killer, I think about and please give me your feedback here. As these editions is more work (change the document etc) I need to have instead e.g. 5 Euro including postage approx 7,50 Euro. Anyone think this is worth? Please post here, if there are some interestes I will offer too and so you can choose while ordering which edition you want. But it it than possible to make the really own collectible for the Atari which will be funny at the end in my oppinion.

I got more killer news now... But I will post them here into a seperately post, otherwise it is getting too long and boring to read and you need strength to read the following :)

Cheers mates

and thanks for your comments and interest :thumbsup:

Markus

• Like 1

So, let's do another great news:

all honour and thanks for this goes out to CharlieChaplin as he was the man starting this for PRO© ATARI. I never had in mind to make something like this due missing time and knowledge of all, but Andreas DONE...

There will be available with each issue PRO© ATARI also the magazine disk...

But no physical disc. It will be 2 .ATR-Files free for download.

Andreas work this images out they will run on real hardware with standart configurations.

So you can make your physical disc if you want for your collection.

In the magazine we got one page with the download links and some of the content in a short written matter.

Andreas collected on talkback with me some great stuff, most games...

But also graphics and demos...

Andreas done so much work, as he added text files to the disc which you can start directly from the game-Dos and read it on the screen. These files are only available in english as we do not have the time to make also multi langual disc editions, so I think this will work fine.

For each file CharlieChaplin wrote linar notes. Will mean thie graphics is from this competition, this sound from this, the demo from this and also tell specials to each file. For each game he included the manuals, sometimes hints. We got a nice collection from action games to text adventures (!!!) - so old school in any way :-)

CharlieChaplin's text are so long we could use in the magazine four or more sides for it, so you get a really much more information next to the magazine and new software with all instructions so you can spend a lot time with this all. The games are splitted into really new stuff and also on games featured in the magazine. So you can read the review and can start the game directly from the disc.

And now ladies and gentlemen, the real killer on this magazine disc: "The Fixer Corner". This one will be featured in every issue and present old games which are too hard and bad to play or got too much bugs to make it funny. CharlieChaplin done in co operation with Homesoft a fix of a game from 1983 which is one I played that often and played now even more since I got the fixed edition as most bugs are removed and makes the game more funny. In the text Andreas tell in details about the bugs and what was possible to change without coding the game completely new. And so we got a bug-fixed game on the disc which I will say 99% of you all never seen before.

This is a really special thing and I like it in total.

So I try we can hold the release of english issue next to the german edition...

Steve, what do you think?

Cheers

Markus

And now also answering some questions:

@enito and all others interested into the english edition:

just follow this threat. As the issue will be available in english I post it here for sure.

@greyfox:

well, do not expect too much as I have seen "graphic designer" in your job. So let's say: cover page is really professional, inner pages are more old school fanzine styled, like the magazines spreat here in Germany within the 90ies. Only on this way it is possible to make the magazine also in different languages. I got ready most sides in german, I will spread here several pages as soon we got ready the english issue. Will say: when Steve translated all and finally I put the text into the layout (which will be hard work for me I guess)...

@candle:

I think there was a slightly missunderstood. Your questions answered or somehtink left to ask? If so, do not hesitate and ask.

@8bitjunkie:

Well, tell me this in the 90ies when I released my former magazines and I would have laughed at all. But things changed and I my oppinion the Atari scene seems like gone a bit sleepy and he have to kick some asses and bring fresh air into it. Especially in germany this is my oppinion...

In looking back at my Antic and Analog magazines, they both had articles that included type-in software and articles on Basic and machine language programming on the Atari 8-bit computers.

They also had a fair amount of advertising of various hardware and software offerings.

Do you plan on including advertising of the My_IDE hardware as well as other hardware offerings that I read about on the forum as well as informational articles about the same?

Some of the older Atari software could again be brought to light too.

I made a choice to seperate Reviews on Games in different ways...

There is

OLDIE

Is an old game reviewed

if available with an additional interview of the coder

JEWELBYTES

in this section there are the games released the past few years and will put back a focus on them, as I like them

HOMEBREW

features the just released games

also with additional interview

LISTINGS

I think we cannot realize this as I got limited space. If we can look into the future how the reactions will be on the magazine the idea is really welcome. But for the moment the magazine must etablish firstly.

HARDWARE

if we find someone can write about something regulary, for sure.

I think we need to see where the journey is go to and the magazine must grow with the readers. And as long there is support we can expand, so it is als up the readers to buy the magazine and tell everyone about.

The more reader - the more income - the more the magazine can expand (more contributers, more pages, better layout)...

In one year we see things more clear. This is the time (4 issues) I give the magazine and willing to invest money, after this period the magazine should cover itself. So be ahead to support the magazine since the beginning to have something for the future...

Best

Markus

I try to finish german edition this week.

Than I can start put the already finished textes into the layout.

I think we are good in time.

Already first pre-orders are in also...

So if you want to have the english issue please drop me a line to

8bit at proc-atari.de

with request "proc atari issue 1"

I will get in touch with you than one week before english issue will be released so you can pay by paypal or bank transfer.

All the best

Markus

Let's see... no promises. I have a lot on at the moment, but I will remain optimistic.

Markus,

I offer myself to translate the magazine from english to spanish. I will have a short 10 days vacations by the end of April.

Regards,

- Y -

Interesting thought. Not sure if printed magazines in the age world wide internet - one of the most important inventions in mandkind beside the »wheel« and »print« in my own private opinion - isn't a bit outdated. But anyway: Homebrewers develop whole cartridges for the Atari 800 on their own ... so why not? :)

I am writing the following without having read the whole thread. So some things might have been already defined.

As a long term professional Journalist (german magazines »Happy Computer«, »Power Play«, »PC Player« beside others non-hobby oriented ones) keep in mind making a magazine is not an easy task. So you should maybe also consider a PDF-magazine where you have way more freedom with the layout (no limitations in the number of pages).

As a collectable item - I think this is the intention - the magazine should meet some professional standards in print, look and »feel«. Which in all honest respect instantly forbids self-printed magazines. Please have a look at the various online-print-shops (like the german »Flyeralarm.de« and such). They offer all kind of print products with professional attitude for a very reasonable price. I seriously doubt you are cheaper when doing it on your own.

Crossing all available fingers for your project. :)

Kind regards,
Henrik (Island2Live)

P.S.: (German language) Wo kann ich das in Deutschland bestellen? :P

Edited by Island2Live

As a long term professional Journalist (german magazines »Happy Computer«, »Power Play«, »PC Player« beside others non-hobby oriented ones)

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

P.S.: (German language) Wo kann ich das in Deutschland bestellen? :P

Hmm,

Henrik who ? Henrik Fisch ?!?

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Do you see we can sell at least 25 units in spain language?

To be sincere, I have no idea how much demand there would be among spanish readers for a printed magazine. Maybe it would be better to have a digital download version (PDF) for them. Anyway, this might be the chance to (if possible) have the first Atari publication translated in three (or more) languages :cool:

- Y -

Hallo Henrik,

the intension of the PRO© ATARI is to bring back some 90ies feeling to the Atari. The magazine MUST look like the available Atari Magazines from the 90ies. On the Atari we never got so many pro-Magazines in Germany so it is like in the glory days for us.

Releasing on PDF format makes no sense for me. This is just a 0 and 1.

All the things you can read somewhere in the net.

So PDF makes really no sense.

PRO© ATARI is a collectible for any ATARIan bringing back the feeling of the good days. And only with this homebrew intension there is possible to make german and english version.

Thanks for keeping fingers crossed, we will rock the scene :)

Cheers

Markus

Markus,

I offer myself to translate the magazine from english to spanish. I will have a short 10 days vacations by the end of April.

Regards,

- Y -

It would be interesting for a German/Spanish speaker to compare the two. Even from moving from German to English, some phrases need amending to sound better in the printed language. By the time that it gets to Spanish, it will be like a "Chinese Whisper"! But that won't matter, as long as the same sentiment is carried through all of the translations.

To be honest:

I do not think I can make several language editions.

It is not a matter of want to have.

It is a matter of time...

But if someone will translate to spain AND able to make the finished printing layout into the original document (we got no additional pages and so on) why not...

Hmm, maybe we start now with german and english issue and if everyone have seen, we can discuss about more languages...

Deal?

Cheers

Markus

Hey, that's me! :D

Greeting back from Germany/Munich/Rosenheim/Bad Aibling! :)

Henrik (Island2Live)

"Totgesagte leben länger..." (Zitat aus Happy Computer, Atari Sonderheft 2)

Hier ein Bravo-Starschnitt, ähem, Photo aus dem Sonderheft 2:

post-3782-0-17444800-1394300985_thumb.jpg

Schön zu wissen, dass das Interesse an Atari noch immer nicht erloschen ist.

Nur die Haare sind bei uns wohl etwas grauer und weniger geworden...

Gruß, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I still enjoy printed magazines. Sure, I have an ipad and read PDFs too, but magazines provide a tactile experience that is just reassuring to me.

So I am glad that this will be a throw-back project with full printing. I hope enough people buy into this to make with worthwhile. I know it will be a lot of work.

Best of luck!

( German language follows )

Ich möchte den Thread von powersoft hier nicht mit meiner Person blockieren - auch wenn ich mich logischerweise gebauchpinselt fühle - aber eigentlich soll es hier ja um das Print-Magazin von powersoft gehen.

Ich war so frei und habe deswegen einen neue Thread aufgemacht. Bitte hier klicken:

Former German magazin editor - (in German)

Liebe Grüße,

Henrik (Island2Live)

@Henrik: Thanks for moving - guess otherwise it will be ended as chaos here, haha with too much confusion and mixed up answers and questions...

All others:

I will give a call here soon for collecting pre-orders. I will do this as soon the english version is translated and I need just to fix the layout. Give me and Steve please one or two weeks :)

Cheers

Markus