IGNORED

where to get replacement track 0 sensor for 1050 disk drive?

knusperfisch

More of a confession then helpful. At some of the track zero sensors can be ~hacked apart. Invariably, it is the infrared LED that has gone out. Just jerking around, I ground a regular red LED down to size, flat and square IIRC, and used it. Worked fine. I wish I still had that much energy and time! Probably only took me 8-10 hours.

If you are absolutely sure the sensor is bad, probably would save you a couple of bucks and some delays for shipping.

Thanks for the answers.

I know that there is a small sqare shaped IR led inside the case, but it is glued in place. I need to break the housing to remove it. The LED is dead because one pin broke off with my attempt to pull it out. I don't know if the photodiode works. Maybe not, because I accidentally plugged the header connector on the pins for the drive motor which maybe destroyed the diode as well.

I think I'll first experiment with a common fork sensor, to see if it works electrically. To mount that thing in place will be a bit of a challenge...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Working on an Indus GT - same mech - tandon.

I am getting a G5 error - which is a read error.   If I get the diags program running and switch this drive in.. so I can test.. many of the tests pass. But the track Zero sensor I cannot get to work.

In fact it should say move in or move out.. but I am just getting msg no feedback from sensor? or is disk inserted. SO I figure the sensor is bad.. is there a test to make sure I am replacing the correct part?

I have a bunch of 1050s around.. I am thinking maybe swapping a mech out.. except the part of changing the indus controller card.. so.. maybe swapping a zero sensor in?

James

Mouser.com has the replacement of the sensor for 1050 according to some YouTube video I saw.

I have not tested myself if it work, but I see no problem with it.   The part number is opb842w51z as mentioned before. Not sure it will work with Indus.

2242020101232.jpg

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1