IGNORED

HSC11 Round 1: "A" Atari Invaders & AE

AE - 30,800 PAL

attachicon.gifDSCF3958.jpg

This is a tricky one... gets you to walk that fine line between saying "just one more go" and hurling your controller at the screen.

That looks like a CRT you have there. If you are using a CX40 hurling it at the screen will probably do no harm. Perhaps your cat will be scared.

Throwing any controller at an LCD is not recommended.

For me after several encore games of AE at or below 25K I've resorted to closing my eyes. That's not working either but then I don't have to see the result.

Edited by a8isa1

Atari Invaders Scores:

9,590 - Level 1. Reached "Invasian 9." (Real NTSC 130XE)

4,740 - Level 9. Reached "Invasian 3." (Real NTSC 130XE)

I'm not sure what the protocol is for posting scores. Should I edit my postings with any new scores, or just post them again?

I'm posting my score screenshots as attachments... which I think will appear at the bottom of my posting. How do I place a picture in-between my text? For example, I want to state my score, followed by a picture #1 and then a state my other score, followed by picture #2.

My strategy for "Atari Invaders" is awful. I shoot the left and right-side invaders so that they don't all come down the screen and crusm me and then I pick off the bottom rows of invaders. Anyone have any tips for this game, as this "strategy" is about as basic as it gets!

My thumb is tired...

post-4925-0-05619000-1390432788_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-05311900-1390432802_thumb.jpg

Atari Invaders Scores:

I'm not sure what the protocol is for posting scores. Should I edit my postings with any new scores, or just post them again?

I'm posting my score screenshots as attachments... which I think will appear at the bottom of my posting. How do I place a picture in-between my text? For example, I want to state my score, followed by a picture #1 and then a state my other score, followed by picture #2.

My strategy for "Atari Invaders" is awful. I shoot the left and right-side invaders so that they don't all come down the screen and crusm me and then I pick off the bottom rows of invaders. Anyone have any tips for this game, as this "strategy" is about as basic as it gets!

My thumb is tired...

Spill my Space Invaders strategy when McKong's listening... hmmm... ok a few hints - it's all about not missing so better to wait and chisel through your barricades than to fire and miss. I take out column 2 then 1 when I can, then generally stay left and take out columns, when it's low do a triple shot fly past on each ;)

I like to post tables as we go instead of having one that is updated. This way I can keep track on the posts since the last one, so edit posts only after the last table you see - I usually miss a few (normally my nearest rivals as they can testify) so just shout if I do miss any. I'll put a new table on in a while...

After attaching files there is an "add to post" on the right of them, position the cursor first, or cut and paste the link when inserted.

This particular version of Space Invaders, termed Atari Invaders, was created by some guy named Joe Hellesen. I though this rang a bell, he's the author of Deluxe Invaders, Pac-Man and Wizard of Wor no less 8) I'd better put that for my W pick :ponder: talking of which the "B Games Poll" will start on Sunday so thinking caps on and suggestions on the Play List thread if you've not already done so. If you make multiple suggestions for the same letter please highlight which is your main pick if there is one :)

Brace yourselves here is the New Scroring This Season :-o

Stilll 12 HSC pts for 1st place but going down in 1s until 12th place. For every extra player there will be an additional high scoring place starting with 5th place 9pts. The top four always get 12,11,10,9 and the bottom place always 1pt, but more points in-between, making it closer overall to stop some of us running away with things!

If we have a round with more than one game, as we do in here, each gets place points (I've provisionally used 20 for 1st), these are totalled and used to make an overall table. Ties are decided by total score for both games. Lets just see this in action shall we...

Latest Tables

Round 1 Overall - real HSC points!

rank, name, (pal or ntsc), score, points

1st McKong (p) 36 12pts

2nd therealbountybob (p) 36 11pts

3rd powersoft (p) 33 10pts

4th darthkur (n) 33 10pts*

5th adam242 (n/p) 32 9pts

6th a8isa1 (n) 31 8pts

7th Gury (p) 29 8pts

8th ballyalley (n) 29 7pts

9th Algus (n) 23 6pts

10th krupkaj (p) 14 6pts**

11th Sikor (p) 11 4pts

12th roadrunner (n) 11 3pts

13th devwebcl (n) 10 2pts

14th JK40001 (p) 9 1pt

Bonuses (1pt):

* Highest NTSC player

** Atari Invaders Game 9

*** Beating HSC records AI: 57,510 trbb AE: 39,400 fandal

Atari Invaders

1st McKong (p) 28,060 20

2nd darthkur (n) 23,690 19

3rd therealbountybob (p) 21,750 18

4th Gury (p) 12,500 17

5th ballyalley (n) 9,590 16

6th adam242 (p) 9,000 15

7th krupkaj (p) 8,650 14

8th powersoft (p) 7,320 13

9th a8isa1 (n) 6,770 12

10th Sikor (p) 6,330 11

11th devwebcl (n) 5,510 10

12th JK40001 (p) 4,010 9

13th Algus (n) 3,610 8

AE

1st powersoft (p) 34,000 20

2nd a8isa1 (n) 32,900 19

3rd therealbountybob (p) 31,700 18

4th adam242 (p) 30,800 17

5th McKong (p) 28,300 16

6th Algus (n) 20,400 15

7th darthkur (n) 11,800 14

8th ballyalley (n) 11,100 13

9th Gury (p) 10,400 12

10th roadrunner (n) 2,400 11

Bonus Point Challenge: Atari Invaders Game 9

1st krupkaj (p) 7,750

2nd McKong (p) 7,000

3rd ballyalley (n) 4,740

Atari Invaders

24,910 Atari Invaders.

Folks, I regret to inform you that the aliens have landed in my sector.

The Men in Black are just about to flashy thing me so, I will have no recollection of this tomorrow.

I have not played AE yet for oh about 25 ish years. I am looking forward to it.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Spill my Space Invaders strategy when McKong's listening... hmmm... ok a few hints - it's all about not missing so better to wait and chisel through your barricades than to fire and miss. I take out column 2 then 1 when I can, then generally stay left and take out columns, when it's low do a triple shot fly past on each ;)

I like to post tables as we go instead of having one that is updated. This way I can keep track on the posts since the last one, so edit posts only after the last table you see - I usually miss a few (normally my nearest rivals as they can testify) so just shout if I do miss any. I'll put a new table on in a while...

After attaching files there is an "add to post" on the right of them, position the cursor first, or cut and paste the link when inserted.

This particular version of Space Invaders, termed Atari Invaders, was created by some guy named Joe Hellesen. I though this rang a bell, he's the author of Deluxe Invaders, Pac-Man and Wizard of Wor no less 8) I'd better put that for my W pick :ponder: talking of which the "B Games Poll" will start on Sunday so thinking caps on and suggestions on the Play List thread if you've not already done so. If you make multiple suggestions for the same letter please highlight which is your main pick if there is one :)

Ditto, stick to the left hand side. I knock out the first three columns, and then pick off the others as they come across the screen right to left.

These games are perfect with the lights turned off and the sound up :)

AI 37,850 Invasion 29

post-19705-0-52912900-1390517520_thumb.jpg

AE 33,700 drat! Powersoft :twisted: Made it through to stage 1 again but it's going to take some feat to beat Atari gaming supremo Fandal's HSC record of 39,400. The good news is the game gets harder; lots of the little bleeders start swarming off all over the place on the 2nd round :-o

post-19705-0-19131700-1390517515_thumb.jpg

Ae

AE 44,900

Good thing I didn't read the post above before I played. It might have scared me off the game.

I probably shouldn't give away secrets but, don't get too spooked by the "singles" as I call them. When they show up, they still follow behind each other. There is just more space between them. If you figure out where to shoot the lead, and time your shots right, you can clean take out the whole chain by repeatedly firing at the same location.

Maybe that is not always true? I was thinking maybe the game uses the same patterns as earlier but spaces the ships more. That would make the 3 way splits very hard to track. At any rate, it does make the screen look very busy when the single ships show up.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Invaders 37750

Sweat beads starting to form... looks like I have one more day to rest :D

EVERYONE:

Don't forget the "B Games Poll" will start on Sunday so thinking caps on and suggestions on the Play List thread if you've not already done so. IF you make multiple suggestions for the same letter please highlight which is your main pick, if there is one :)

post-9154-0-06153000-1390677847_thumb.png

After nearly a week of playing this bleep bleep bleeping game I finally improved my score.

Can someone explain the display error (see the lead '0' of the second score)? Part of the number is chopped off.

Could this be due to using a y-c cable? or perhaps my scan converter?

-SteveS

p.s. The usual disclaimer - old, damaged camera and bad photographer.

Invaders 50260, getting closer

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've been AEEEEEing without success so tomorrow I'm AIIIIiing :)

...Can someone explain the display error (see the lead '0' of the second score)? Part of the number is chopped off.

Could this be due to using a y-c cable? or perhaps my scan converter?

-SteveS

p.s. The usual disclaimer - old, damaged camera and bad photographer.

You could have said it happened when you rolled the scoreboard :-D

Atari Invaders 5,150 points.

Please ignore the music. It wasn't from the game, but was playing in the background on my laptop while I was playing.

Nice :music: someone should code that into the game :thumbsup:

Welcome to the HSC :)

Checkout the Invaders Hints a few posts ago... but try staying left more and blasting through that left barricade rather than going around it to the left ;)

Still time for any more "B Game" suggestions or seconds on the Play List thread EVERYONE :)