IGNORED

Installing a laptop fan

doctorclu

it ran 30+ years without a fan, now, all of sudden, it needs one?

why pokey and pia were replaced?

what is "gibberish" you get on ice-t?

this is not very informative, thus my answer, rude or not

pokey, pia, sally (or mos 6502) and antic will run burning hot in some machines (in others will run just hot) and this is normal and well within the specs of nmos technology

• Like 1

I have in one of my 800xl's a 512k SRAM upgrade with an adapter board on the Antic socket with the antic installed on that board.

This antic is getting so hot that I could bake an egg on it.

But it runs as stable as possible.

@doctorclu

Do you have other programs with same issues?

pokey, pia, sally (or mos 6502) and antic will run burning hot in some machines (in others will run just hot) and this is normal and well within the specs of nmos technology

It did not run 30+ years without a fan. It did run around 30 years without problems without incognito and without fan. Now it runs with incognito and without fan and doctorclu states that he has issues with a program and he noticed that his hardware gets hot. Whether his analysis is good or not, or his information is detailed enough or not, doesn't matter. At least he gives a report of field experience with new hardware (incognito).

Gibberish is (I guess) random data on the screen or worse.

The idea of the fan came from Itaych's example of the ice bag on the Pokey chip when his game of Joust was acting up. And with that I started to look into the possibility of a way of cooling the Pokey to see if that would help my current situation.

My information was not very informative to you so it was alright to be rude or not. Cute.

I'll hopefully answer your other points in the other responses that follow.

I have in one of my 800xl's a 512k SRAM upgrade with an adapter board on the Antic socket with the antic installed on that board.

This antic is getting so hot that I could bake an egg on it.

But it runs as stable as possible.

@doctorclu
Do you have other programs with same issues?

That is what I'm trying to figure out at the moment and in truth between life and being frustrated with the Incogneto modified 800 I haven't completely closed the loop on narrowing down the problem. However, since our last round of talks on this I put the Warerat XE (prototype) mod in my original machine, and in that machine I have not experienced the gibberish so far using the new version of ICE-T.

baking a part for 30 years will throw it out of spec no problem

True, but the Incogneto modified 800 has a new Pokey and PIA out of the blister pack. Now if there are other components associated with the SIO/serial process I have not replaced, I would try to replace those as well.

It did not run 30+ years without a fan. It did run around 30 years without problems without incognito and without fan. Now it runs with incognito and without fan and doctorclu states that he has issues with a program and he noticed that his hardware gets hot. Whether his analysis is good or not, or his information is detailed enough or not, doesn't matter. At least he gives a report of field experience with new hardware (incognito).

Gibberish is (I guess) random data on the screen or worse.

That is the way I see it.

Basically the Incogneto modified 800 runs good on most accounts. The menu works fine. Compact flash works, and the game loader is working fine. Most Atari users I believe mostly run programs, code programs, and play games. There is small percentage that uses the Atari 8 bit for serial functions like operating a modem and calling a BBS. So while the problem I'm having would not be as noticed by most Atari 8 bit users, it would be noticed by users trying to perform SIO or serial functions.

Thank you all for your follow up with this thread. I have managed to find out that the next version of ICE-T does in fact work fine on a non-Incogneto 800 with another XE mod. Since I do like what the Incogneto has to offer (internal flash storage, system clock, and a very extensive library of games) I am hoping that the BBSing and modem aspect will be working full bore in the future as well.

The next stage I am thinking is to take the Pokey and PIA out of my original 800, since we know those work, and try them in the Incogneto modified 800. If those work with the new version of Ice-T on the Incogneto-800 then we'll know I had a faulty Pokey or PIA (despite the fact they were from unopened blister packs.)

If I put the Pokey and PIA in and we still have a problem, I could possibly have a bad socket as someone mentioned earlier, or there is another issue not yet defined.

• Like 1

So far I haven't got time and motivation to install one of my Incognito boards in one of my 800's. A few days before I planned doing the upgrade, I decided I want to keep my 800's original for now. I might do it anyway. If yes, then I could do the same testing for you.

What R: device do you use on your 800... an 850?

I use a Speedier module from More Than Games.

Works good. There are two effects I am noticing with the Incogneto 800 and this module:

1) the giggerish after about an hour or so.

2) Reluctance for the computer to talk to a modem at 19.2K baud. Sometimes it sees the modem, sometimes not. Had to back the speed to 9600.

I will add, 19.2K was not a problem in the past.

Overall as someone told me the Incogneto is a thing of beauty for what I mentioned before that I like about it. The added memory, the internal flash, onboard clock, the game loader, so it is worth installing above all, especially if all you do is play games, and code programs. I see no problem with that. Just trying to get the serial functions a bit more spot on for my experience. Still trying to narrow down the cause of this not working exactly right.

But like you, it did take over a year to get around to the Incogneto install once I got it. The Atari 800 with Flickerterm was doing all I needed. But then came the beta version of Ice-T with COLOR Ansi. :D And though the color emulation is not perfect, it was worth the install.

Edited by doctorclu

Using the SpartaDos that Incogneto defaults to.

I ran a BBS with a RANA and two Indus GT. I left it on over night and I would get up in the morning and it was crashed. I believe I may have had a malicious caller, they could crash AMIS MPP. However, I had the drives

in a single three deep stack. If I remember, the digital display on the RANA was incorrect. I felt the tops of the drives and they were pretty hot/warm. I got a 10 inch desk fan and pointed it about 2 feet away and

left it on. The crashing stopped. I may have also 'unstacked' the drives.

My point is, you don't have to have an internal fan on your incognito 800. Just get a desk fan and point it at the 800. It might not solve the problem, but if it does, you know that overheating was/is the problem.

Worth a try.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1