IGNORED

Idea for a port to 7800...Thexder

swlovinist

Look at recent releases like Scramble and (the name escapes me) the 4-way platform scroller currently in development.

Some compromises might be necessary but I'd say it's doable on standard hardware - I've only had a quick look at YT videos though, can't recall ever having played the game.

It's also been rehashed, found a video of it on PS3 as a DLC game.

From good ol Whackypedia:

The MARIA’s approach had advantages and disadvantages when it came to generating graphics in software during the lifespan of the 7800. It excelled at moving around large numbers of sprites on a static screen without the screen flickering that plagued other 8-bit systems. Its flexible design enabled it to play games which used display list manipulation to generate a pseudo 3D appearance such as Ballblazer (1987) and F-18 Hornet (1988). While side-scrolling games in the vein of Super Mario Bros. are possible on the system (1990's Scrapyard Dog is the best example), it is significantly harder to develop such a title than on a tile-based system such as the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Just an idea, nothing else. I was speaking with a very good friend Lord Thag. We both are huge 7800 fans. We agreed that Thexder could probably be ported well on the 7800...Thoughts?

It could probably be "ported well". It largely depends on the talent and ability of the programmer.

What makes you (guys) think Thexder is well suited to the 7800? Thexder HEAVILY leans on the hardware being tile based.

Also agree here to an extent. However, whether it is "well suited" or could be "ported well" are two different things; although not necessarily mutually exclusive of one another.

Yes, it would be worlds easier (I would think) to port Thexder to the ColecoVision or NES; and it may not be an ideal title to port for the 7800 - perhaps not "well suited" for the 7800; however...

Maybe this wikipedia page should be updated.

I wonder if the talented PacManPlus still considers that it is significantly harder to develop a title such as Bentley Bear Crystal Quest.

Spot on, Marco. :)

Again, a lot is dependent on the developer. Someone as talented as Bob has more than proven a side-scroller with 7800/Maria graphics is more than doable. Not the greatest of games, but we do have Scrapyard Dog too. Again, it would come down to the talent, ability (and more importantly) interest of a developer regarding a port of it on the 7800.

Personal feelings on the game...

It's a 'love it' or 'hate it' (Hi, AtariBrian :-D ) title for many I have interacted with and I fall under the LOVE it category. Even when I first played it with PC Speaker sound, and CGA 4-color graphics; I still thought it was fantastic. It made any "Transformers" game I played and seen on the C64 look like junk. Of course, the utilization of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" automatically put it in a class if its own, IMHO.

Seeing it later on a Tandy (16 color) with 3-Voice made me love it even more.

One last note, the controls of this game would actually work pretty well even on stock 7800 controllers as your player is constantly moving for the most part in flight with just taps in directional movement and to 'transform', while walking/running there is no constant jerking of movement, and there is no 'button mashing' regarding shooting. You would utilize the second button for turning on/off shields, which is a quick tap too and not continuous firing.

• Like 1

I had the tandy 16 color 3 channel voice. Still have the computer and all the games somewhere...

Thought it was cool, but frustrating. I hated the fact you use power to shoot. Makes sense tho. Not a simple game and I forget how far I could get..

I remember stellar 7 and my little brother running away after you die and that guy saying "Now to punish the earthlings for their foolish resistance! " he would cry and say litdent litdent!! funny 2 year old..of course I made sure he was in the room every time it was game over.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

If we're talking Thexder for the 7800, how about Game Arts other big hit - Silpheed. Maybe a little easier translation than Thexder.

Not so much. Silpheed really pushes some polygons. In contrast the 7800 was a 2D sprite champ.

You could fake it with CPUWIZ boards and lots of ROM. Also some fake 3D effects like Ballblazer could be rigged to look like the background.

Good idea and not well suited to the system :)

How bout Area 51 while we are at it..

geez!

Yeah Thexder would be kinda cool..

doable yes.

But id much rather have gradius..hell give me Rtype. Or something along them but original.

That would be worth the time for me.

I will keep pushing for a 7800 shooter till I die.

• Like 2

I vaguely remember what the the 7800 do better than a tile based game. The stuff I do remember suggests that games like Gremlins, Solaris, Space Harrier, or F-Zero would be easier to program than Super Mario Brothers or side scrolling shooting game on the 7800.

Why don't we figure out what the 7800 is good at and make an original game that pushes those features to the fuggin edge?

No lawsuits.

No forcing the machine to do shiz it isn't good at.

Just 7800 goodness that we can all play with no worries of licensing or limited cart runs.

Much agreed ... plus I would rather watch paint dry then play Thexder :rolling:

Thexder would be an easy port to the Colecovision since the original version was for the MSX. Same with Metal Gear.

If I recall, there was a C64 version of Thexder so that would be the logical place to start with a conversion.

Thexder was ported to the Coleco this last year. It was the same as MSX version

http://www.teampixelboy.com/thexder.php