IGNORED

Atari Posters - idea of worth?

ThreepwoodMac

We found some Atari posters that were in Steve Morgenstern's house. They're pretty cool pieces, featuring cover artwork from the games and magazines, including some rare and unused designs. I'd planned on selling them on eBay after we had some of them them nicely flat-photographed in high resolution for Tim Lapetino's book. Turns out, the photographer I'd gotten in touch with is a big Atari fan herself, and is interested in buying the Pac-Man (which is 25x17") and the "In the Chips" one (26x20".) Any idea what they're worth?

pacman.jpg

inthechips.jpg

I think it seems a nice gesture to let her call "dibs" on these two, but I've got similar 26x17" posters for Defender, Berzerk, Demons to Diamonds and Yars' Revenge, as well as a bizarre alternate (?) 36x25" design for Centipede with a nude insect woman, and five posters of Atari Age Vol. 1 #1 including one untrimmed mock-up. I'll be putting them on eBay after they're photographed, but you guys can have a look at them here.

http://s859.photobucket.com/user/cinqcentcoups/library/Atari%20posters?sort=2&page=1

Hard to say. They are all rare. The In the Chips and female Centipede ones I've seen before although only a couple of times over a decade or so. The others I've never seen before. The best thing to do is announce the auctions here and just put them on eBay starting at something not to crazy like $50 each and let the market decide. There are a couple of collectors that will pay big bucks if it is something that they don't have. I've been wanting one of these AtariAge posters for years. Haven't been able to grab one yet.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Allan

I don't know much about the rarity of posters as I only deal in the hand drawn artwork but if that pacman poster really is a one of kind poster then you should put it up to auction. You might be better off to just give her the chips poster than to sell her the 2 posters cheaply.

There is a small group of loyal pacman collectors who each have to have one of everything. Most pacman items are very common so you don't see it in everyday eBay auctions but a one of kind pacman poster like this would sell for hundreds with an ending price based only on how much cash the second bidder had at the time to spend.

The nude Centipede poster while rare comes up for auction every now and then. It relates to the arcade game and was reproduced last year by collectors. I'm not sure what they would sell for these days.