IGNORED

POLL: Interested in more ADAM Super Game conversions?

NIAD

To convert or not to convert  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy?

• Donkey Kong Super Game
    • Donkey Kong Junior Super Game (5 screen version)
    • SubRoc Super Game
    • DK & DK Jr. Super Games
    • DK & SubRoc Super Games
    • DK Jr. & SubRoc Super Games
    • Would buy all three (DK, DK Jr. & SubRoc)
  2. 2. What style box, manual and cart label?

• With permission, Team PixelBoy style
    • Coleco style box with Arcade Cabinet pictured
    • CBS Electronics style box with all new artwork

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As we all know, Mystery Man and Team PixelBoy have done a tremendous job of converting three ADAM specific games (Dragon's Lair, Zaxxon and Buck Rogers) to ColecoVision format using the MegaCart PCB and of course requiring the Opcode Super Game Module for the CV, not the ADAM. The down side is that PixelBoy has stated that he does not have any further interest in publishing the remaining ADAM Super Games that are worthy of such an endeavor due to his need to concentrate on other projects that have been pushed back for far too long as well as another exciting project, the Trading Cards. that he is currently working on. Also, it seems that Mystery Man may not be interested in doing any further ADAM to CV conversions from what has been mentioned previously... but hopefully never doesn't really mean never if you know what I mean.

It hasn't been said, but I wonder if the possible/upcoming/one day/etc. release of DKA by Opcode and his interest in possibly developing DKJrA may play a part in why the ADAM Super Games haven't been considering for conversion as well as the current limbo state of Opcode producing further SGMs. I personally feel that possible Opcode releases of these two games would NOT hurt sales of the Super Game conversions and in turn the Super Game conversions would not hurt sales of the possible Opcode versions... they could co-exist very nicely and all would be very good sellers especially considering the ADAM Super Games are true Coleco programmed games based off what their programmers envisioned for the games and Opcode's version will/would be true Arcade ports with numerous inclusions like we see in Pac-Man Collection.

Also, the fact that enhanced proto versions of these two games have been available for years in rom image format might make it worriesome to produce a large enough quantity of each to justify production even those these protos have their respective issues. Thankfully SubRoc doesn't have these problems.

I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is as far as financing the conversion by Mystery Man, but from there, perhaps someone like CollectorVision could take over with the box, manual, cart and distribution seeing as they have everything in place already (not to mention a pretty lengthy release schedule for the year!) and it wouldn't seem smart to try and reinvent the wheel which could lead to higher retail pricing on each game. I would also "LOVE" to see any possible releases made in the same style (box, manual, cart label) as the other ADAM Super Games that have been released by Team PixelBoy for consistencies sake, but with some small additions to credit CollectorVision as well. This, of corse, would all be dependent on PixelBoy giving his permission, otherwise Coleco and CBS style boxes would be the fall back choice.

For those that may not have ever played or seen these three ADAM Super Games that I am talking about, I have provided links to YouTube videos for your viewing that were supplied by AtariAge member ed...., (no, not Eduardo ;-)). The Hall of Fame screen are not shown.

BTW, the version of Donkey Kong Junior - Super Game that would be converted is the 5 screen prototype version that Coleco originally intended to release, but Nintendo would not allow seeing as they did not want their intellectual property changed in any way... even making it better by adding new levels. This proto does not require a keypad sequence to be entered to activate the 5th screen, unlike some version floating around, so it is complete.

So what say you?

Donkey Kong Super Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFF8JCfBS0&feature=player_detailpage&list=PL6E8742BD1C44CB71

Donkey Kong Junior Super Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35fBcsORTCo&feature=player_detailpage&list=PLC5D531A62475BD13

Donkey Kong Junior Super Game (Prototype but complete) - 5th Screen only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9CqzBNxJ3k&feature=player_detailpage

SubRoc Super Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxmV8a0X4X4&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

If Luc is not interested in publishing those, maybe he could ask the Mystery Man to port them, then CollectorVision could release them

Just an idea

Exact;y. Like I said, why re-invent the wheel when you have all the resources in place already. As I said, I could front the money that Mystery Man would require or step aside altogether and just be glad to get the ball rolling on this endeavor. If I fronted the money, then I could be reimbursed after so many sales and all I'd ask is one copy of each game as I don't want to be greedy with multiple copies which mean more people would be able to obtain the game(s) if there was a cap placed on how many would be produced.

BTW, PixelBoy and Mystery Man, no disrespect intended as far as your expressed opinions on these further conversions. I, and I'm sure many others, would love to see them done, but if it doesn't happen, life will go on and there certainly is no shortage of new games being developed and released to keep us all very happy!

• Like 1

Just one thing i have in head since a while.

If Opcode decides to never release DKA , i think i will do my Own DKA without requiring SGM to run.

So what level would be missing from your "possible" version? I mean, Coleco programmers already proved that there's not enough Rom space to include all four without using additional hardware!!! :)

So what level would be missing from your "possible" version? I mean, Coleco programmers already proved that there's not enough Rom space to include all four without using additional hardware!!! :)

No they didn't, actually. The versions of DK that we got 30 years ago on the ColecoVision fit on 16K and 24K carts. With a 32K cart, there should be enough room for the fourth screen, with some good compression and ROM space management.

I already have Super Donkey Kong and Super Donkey Kong Junior on cart for the ColecoVision. Super Donkey Kong has a 4th level that doesn't work and Super Donkey Kong Junior has 4 working screens. How would these Super Games differ from what I already have?

The fourth level that works correctly in SDK, and the secret fifth screen in SDKJr. Theoretically speaking, of course. :)

I'm not a coleco programmer... ;) and we are not in 1982... :)

In addition i'm sure i can put the 4 level in 32k and probably even the cut scene ... and may be an exclusive level.!

• Like 2

If I had the funds, all three, but since DKA is technically, in theory, coming for the SGM, I'd absolutely want Subroc and DKjr. With that said, since DK will also be a fixed version, I suppose I'd also want that (plus it's different enough from the arcade version to be kind of its own property).

i know those detail always remain secret but with out all detail what is the average price tag for a programmer to port one of those games

The term "average" is not applicable here. It depends on the level of expertise of the programmer, the level of complexity of the job (whether it's a port or a brand new game), the amount of time that the programmer can put on a project on a weekly basis, and in the end, it mostly depends on how much the guy wants to be paid for his services, and by extent, how much a publisher is willing to pay (or in other words, how much he's willing to pass along to the final pricetag of the game). Some are paid a lot of money, some others don't really do it for the money so they accept a small pay to help reduce the final pricetag of the game.

If Mystery Man were to do another Adam conversion, you can be sure that it wouldn't be cheap...

No they didn't, actually. The versions of DK that we got 30 years ago on the ColecoVision fit on 16K and 24K carts. With a 32K cart, there should be enough room for the fourth screen, with some good compression and ROM space management.

I know Luc, I was just having fun with Mr. 32K.

• Like 1

I already have Super Donkey Kong and Super Donkey Kong Junior on cart for the ColecoVision. Super Donkey Kong has a 4th level that doesn't work and Super Donkey Kong Junior has 4 working screens. How would these Super Games differ from what I already have?

There are numerous differences (too many to remember without serious comparison) in the CV Prototype Super Donkey Kong cart/rom image and the ADAM data pack Donkey Kong Super Game. If you watch the video I posted above and the video below for the CV Prototype bvideo that was made by NewColeco, you will easily notice them. For instance:

- numerous graphical enhancements and added elements like the barrels next to DK on level #1, the fireballs on level #2 and #3, etc., etc.

- level #2 used blue colored girders

- all the cut-scenes are in the ADAM version, you know, "How high....."

- THE SPRINGS ARE INCLUDED IN LEVEL #3. Sorry for shouting, but everyone always complained about their omission in the cart version.

- Level #4 Pie Factory is complete and 100% working

- High Score entry screen

- Hall of Fame display screen

- pause feature

that should be a good start for differences, can you see anymore and share, that would make it worthwhile to purchase especially considering DKA is really in limbo.

I'd have to look over the CV Proto of DK Jr. and compare to the ADAM as these two are a lot closer with the exception of the 5th screen and Hall of Fame.

CV Prototype Super Donkey Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PtwNI1NO8hU

Another improvement is that Mario is no longer invincible while using the hammer. In the CV versions, the barrels collide with Mario (not the hammer) and you get points. In the Adam version, the barrels need to hit the hammer, if they hit Mario he loses a life.

Edited by ed1475