José Pereira

FLAPPY BIRD: Maybe coming into A8... and also C64!...

Hi.

Some days ago Sack posted a video of this Modern 'RETRO looking&feeling' game here:

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

And as usual I posted my proposal :) .

The game seemed good and easy for the same coder do the A8 and the C64 versions.

It would be a shame if only one of the two will have a version. So my proposal to Sack is that I convert the gfxs/sprites and idea (colours apart it's almost the same for the two) but he must code the two versions.

It isn't 100% confirmed but I hope he gets some free-time to code it.

Just to share because some of you may not know or go into FormatWar.

:)

Edited by José Pereira

Actually, I was going to try and do it for the 10-liner BASIC comp.

It's one of those games that could be done simply, or throw everything at it, ie do a slow-scrolling background with non-participating graphics then either use softsprites or PMGs to do the stuff in the foreground.

A game similar to Flappy Bird released 11 years ago

Eleven years... ELEVEN?? No wonder i'm feeling so old!

Wait - the game 'Bats' (http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-bats_20892.html) has the same principle but is 32 years old... :)

I LOVE that game. It was one of the first games I bought on a tape at the SAG (Atari Foundation) in The Netherlands. There it is called Vleermuis. It is still a nice game.

I tried that Superfly 1k+ game btw. Well... that is a keeper, that is for sure. What a nice game, and that in 1023 bytes. That is awesome!

As one of the few users of Windows 8 (at least from what I read on the web). I noticed a game called Flap Flap being featured in the Windows store. It looks a lot like Flappy bird, but has more detailed graphics and multiple layers of parallax scrolling going on. Here's a screen shot.

post-18691-0-80772100-1392574826_thumb.jpg

Actually, I was going to try and do it for the 10-liner BASIC comp.

It's one of those games that could be done simply, or throw everything at it, ie do a slow-scrolling background with non-participating graphics then either use softsprites or PMGs to do the stuff in the foreground.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing! But my idea has changed to a game like Glider for the Mac, with static screens.

My first response on reading the thread title was "Good grief I hope not!".

I had Flappy Bird on my iPhone for about 5 minutes before I deleted it.

• Like 1

If you want to play a beautiful, fun yet still challenging version of Flappy bird with a lot of variety and loads of levels get Badland for iOS or Android: http:/www.badlandgame.com

Best game on the iPAD IMHO.

Edited by Level42

My first response on reading the thread title was "Good grief I hope not!".

I had Flappy Bird on my iPhone for about 5 minutes before I deleted it.

Lol!

But the superfly game in this thread rulez bigtime

Eleven years... ELEVEN?? No wonder i'm feeling so old!

You ARE old...Willock...Me, 53 this bloody year, still feel mentally in my 20's...

I'm soo old my pictures in B&W!

Edited by Mclaneinc

I had the same feeling as Spookt, so much hype over a rather daft game with gfx stolen from Nintendo....Gimme a platformer any day...

I once had a friend... he was a VERY old man (95 years old) and he was very healthy and loving his life, with a boat and friends. I loved it to chat with him about anything. I once asked him whether his thoughts were different when he was 30. He told me that he still thinks and feels the same way as when he was 30. I loved that idea.

Unfortunately he passed away.

But his idea gives me a nice feeling. It is not bad to grow old... you do not change!

• Like 2

The flappy game is So crap... I downloaded it before it was pulled off the App Store...

not sure what is addictive on that game and the guy made probably 50k on inapp adverts per day... :)

Perhaps he felt guilty for plagiarizing 30 year old Atari game concepts and in remorse removed his app from the store.

(hey, it could happen)

I thought it'd be nice to prove that you could do it on a 1/1.7mhz machine in very little time and *actually not bugger up the collision detection*

It's pretty much a nice to have throwaway game that someone was going to do sooner or later sdo I figured I'd give it a try...

Edited by sack-c0s

I'd like to see it on the NES, with a Bullet Bill for the bird, to make a point.

On an Apple ][, the only 8-bit I can really code for, I thought I could create the logic, but implementing the very rudiments - the pipes scrolling by - was beyond me. :(