IGNORED

FLAPPY BIRD: Maybe coming into A8... and also C64!...

José Pereira

Alright, I played "Flappy" for the first time. It actually has an appeal in it's simplicity. But, it doesn't adhere to one simple concept, gradually increasing difficulty. This is not to say a game should be easy for 5 levels. But crap, it doesn't even give you a reasonable amount of time to get used to controlling the bird. To me, how a game's difficulty increases is one of the most important design factors in creating a game. Anyone who doesn't quickly master the skill of flying and continues to play this game is either a knucklehead or a sadist. It could be a decent little game, but as far as I'm concerned, the way it is, it's a piece of rubbish.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

@MrFish: The 'way hows difficulty' on the original doesn't need to be the same way on ours 8bits.

Remember that we are converting not porting. It's the original that is used. All the code have to be done from scratch so its up to the coder to implement the increasing difficulty.

That's why I said, "could be".

Even with a port it could be tweaked to be playable, since controlling the character alone is half the problem.

Indeed I am more worried and thinking is 'hows the controls?' because there no possibility to use the finger.

How? Anyone already thought or can have some ideas?

Just had a crazy idea but even if it works: Had more people the Atari LightPen and we could move it on the base. Maybe it doesn't work because the pen it's not above the T.V.

Indeed I am more worried and thinking is 'hows the controls?' because there no possibility to use the finger.

How? Anyone already thought or can have some ideas?

Just had a crazy idea but even if it works: Had more people the Atari LightPen and we could move it on the base. Maybe it doesn't work because the pen it's not above the T.V.

You could configure the controls as follows:

Spacebar = Flap

any other key = Pause

:D

Edited by fibrewire

Alright, I played "Flappy" for the first time. It actually has an appeal in it's simplicity. But, it doesn't adhere to one simple concept, gradually increasing difficulty. This is not to say a game should be easy for 5 levels. But crap, it doesn't even give you a reasonable amount of time to get used to controlling the bird. To me, how a game's difficulty increases is one of the most important design factors in creating a game. Anyone who doesn't quickly master the skill of flying and continues to play this game is either a knucklehead or a sadist. It could be a decent little game, but as far as I'm concerned, the way it is, it's a piece of rubbish.

Yes, the achievements aren't very impressive, and after 30 successful flaps you get a gold medal. Top score is 9,999 for any user.

For identical gameplay and actual achievements, try Splashy Fish.

really? my copy shows a top score of 65535, and the hex editor shows way more digits available :)

I'm reading the bitching about the original and other suggestions between builds, so I'm taking it on board. I might add a few other little things if I can to perk the game up a bit if possible

• Like 1

really? my copy shows a top score of 65535, and the hex editor shows way more digits available :)

I'm reading the bitching about the original and other suggestions between builds, so I'm taking it on board. I might add a few other little things if I can to perk the game up a bit if possible

Ahh, i should have been more specific. The top score in the Apple IOS version when looking at the in-game scoreboard.

I just played...(on PAL 130XE with Joystick)

Bats (Stan Ockers - Perhaps a Page 6 Magazine game?)

post-19705-0-91132600-1393027214_thumb.jpg

Superfly 1K+ (Matthias Luedtke)

post-19705-0-09922500-1393027213_thumb.jpg

Hopp2012 (PP's)

post-19705-0-93175500-1393027216_thumb.jpg

All three fire to go up and let go to descend and touching the scenery is bad news

In Bats you scroll from L to R (the background stays put) and the missiles travel R to L - collect them for points. The bright one kills you. After a few rounds the caves get narrower. Not bad and a BASIC game too!

Superfly - Wow! Superb! Really nice float and gravity effects; you can get on a roll going under and over the walls. Very slick movement using momemtum and great scrolling, simple sound effects and good use of colours too.

Hopp2012 - Not bad, has fixed rate lift and heavy fall, making it very tricky. If you do survive long enough there are moving obstacles independent from the borders. Bigest improvement would be to add some in game sound effects (has explosion only)

These games don't really appeal to me but might make a good bonus game in the HSC. Perhaps if they had short levels with variations to keep them interesting or a 2 player head-to-head would be a nice idea. Superfly was by far the best and did make me want to have 'one more go', but after a while I thought wish I could shoot... then I thought I might as well fire up Fort Apocalypse and turn the gravity on :-D

post-19705-0-30626800-1393028115_thumb.png

Maybe I should just switch tracks a little, play with the parallax a bit more and go for the theme of an empty, dull game with lots of graphics and do 'Shadow of the bird' :)

I think the better by now is to have the game like original and if possible use those gfxs I sent you.

Get it running and using that code (parallax) I have an idea for other, not bird and some different gameplay ;) ...

:)

I think parallax could be the way to go. The barriers are simplistic enough that all the permutations shouldn't be too great when merged with a background of mountains, buildings or whatever.

Leaving most/all of the PMGs free then means a nice colourful bird could be done.

There's actually a second port for the C64, don't think it's been released though:

Hey folks, I've tried Flappy Bird for C64 and it plays great. High score so far is 7. (Does anyone know what the highest score on any Flappy Bird is ever?) I'd really like to try Happy Flappy as well as it seems to have an awesome soundtrack. Anyone know where the ROM download is available?