IGNORED

130XE with 256K

gozar

I love it when I find treasures in eBay purchases from 10 years ago...

Anyway, my 800XL was acting just a little bit flakey, so I dug one of my 130XEs out to just run a memory test and compare. The first 130XE I pulled out is only registering 64K, so that is a project for another day. :-) The second one I pulled out happened to have a 256K upgrade to it. And whoever put it in had to really work desolder all those chips and putting in sockets.

Anyway, the upgrade appears to work ok, except my MyIDE+Flash card will not boot. I get I/O ERROR - REBOOT, or the machine just has messed up video. Other carts work, my AtariMax Flashcart with SDX, my original SDX cart, all without issue. Now this same cart also won't boot my 1200XL with a 256K Newell upgrade. So it's either the cart or I have two machines that don't like it. Any ideas?

Attached is a pic of the upgrade. Looks pretty standard to me. Oh, and there is a hole drilled in the case by the SIO port, but there's nothing to it.

post-3959-0-38730100-1392953877_thumb.jpg

256K all up isn't exactly the most common upgrade, maybe those carts don't support it properly.

There's threads around re Memtest and utility disks that have SysInfo type programs that show and test various RAM schemes.

If it's the case the base 64K is OK and some of the higher memory is faulty then it could be cause of your problems.

Yeah, I thought all the 130XE users went to 512K or 1MB. :-)

I think it's a power issue with the MyIDE+Flash and the Transcend card. That would explain why my 1200XL doesn't like it either. If I remove the Transcend, it works correctly.

(Now to figure out how to power it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone removed the standard 128k(192k) / 320k toggle switch... and the separate antic access mod...

It looks like one of mine... It was a peterson 128(192k)/320 with double pole double throw switch.... two additional wire should go from the now missing switch and under the board to the pads underneath.

Ed Bachman a member of ABE's ACE's and A.C.U.T.E. designed the separate antic access mod to allow the X-COM wedge to run on these machines. It gave mio/bb swapping and spartados x formatting for a total of 17 additional command/function to disk based spartados..

complete instructions are with the compressed distribution of the wedge on how to do the antic mod.

You should have 1 row of 64k and 1 row of 256k. In position 1 it was 192k and completely compatible with 128k XE just with a little extra space for ramdisk or tsr's... in the other position it was 320k and antic sep. access to allow the wedge, video blitz, etc with the added ram.

LVAUG or Lehigh Valley Atari Users Group is where I think we all ended up...

I think I had a senior moment. I re-read this. Ed did the work while with LVAUG not Allentown Bethlehem Easton's Atari Computer Enthusiasts. L.V.A.U.G. was at Lincoln technical institute near the end and abe's ace's was at the old auditorium. The Atari Computer Users Technical Exchange BBS was where lots of information was shared. I was hoping to correct it in the first posting but it refused to edit. Anyhow I wanted to be accurate. That's about it.

did the transcend come with the myide? I you only use low power cf and solid state ide you can do this power mod

please use a fuse in place of the red wire if you might use higher draw ide devices!

the myide power jump mod

msg-21949-0-22802400-1394033085.jpg

the switch that is missing for the memory upgrade

post-21949-1231679614_thumb.jpg
use a short jumper to cross the poles on the switch as per diagram
for about 2 dollars maximum you now have it all working
Edited by _The Doctor__