IGNORED

TI-99/4a PEB Upgrade Questions

CudaSales

I am going to be doing the RS232 upgrade this week and will be adding the switch to an RS232 card but had an issue. I noticed that the DPDT switch shown on the Mainbyte page actually looks more like a SPDT switch especially with just the 3 wires being attached to it. Can anyone verify this?

I am going to be doing the RS232 upgrade this week and will be adding the switch to an RS232 card but had an issue. I noticed that the DPDT switch shown on the Mainbyte page actually looks more like a SPDT switch especially with just the 3 wires being attached to it. Can anyone verify this?

That is, indeed, a mistake. It is, in fact, a Single-Pole-Double-Throw (SPDT) switch.

...lee

That is, indeed, a mistake. It is, in fact, a Single-Pole-Double-Throw (SPDT) switch.

...lee

When doing project with a SPDT switch, I like to use a DPDT so if one pole fails or has problems the other pole is (usually) still operational. Does anyone have a reason why this would be bad practice?

When doing project with a SPDT switch, I like to use a DPDT so if one pole fails or has problems the other pole is (usually) still operational. Does anyone have a reason why this would be bad practice?

Can't hurt—especially, if you happen to have the DPDT switch handy. Otherwise, it does seem like overkill. How often have you had one fail, anyway?

...lee

Old CS1

I see your point and it is valid. My concern would be the other 3 bare connections on that switch possibly making contact with something and zapping them. I dont know if any current goes through them so it may not even be possible. I also like the small size of the SPDT switch as it is much smaller and i will be having it coming out of the back of the card enclosure so I can switch it easily and not have to get back into the card. I know that some people leave the external casing off but I have always preferred to keep it on.

Can't hurt—especially, if you happen to have the DPDT switch handy. Otherwise, it does seem like overkill. How often have you had one fail, anyway?

...lee

I have had a lot of them get "dirty" on me in the past. May have been that I bought Radio Shanty mini switches. In audio circuits they would develop a crackle when barely touched. One particularly annoying semi-failure was in the stereo SID expansion I built for my 128D: the second SID would sometimes be there and sometimes not be there, often in the middle of playing. Of course I did not suspect the switch until after rebuilding the circuit and replacing the SID at which point it was the only thing I had not replaced.

The kicker for non-failures was a circuit I built in which the DPDT switch sat outside exposed to rain and what-not, both poles used for different parts of the circuit. That damned thing never failed. Maybe that is what I did wrong: I never left my computers out in the rain.

Yes there is. Bob Carmany uses his TI with two PEBs connected at the same time. There are restrictions. Only one box can have a 32K memory expansion (obviously). Running the same cards across the boxes can cause CRU conflicts, just as it would with two identical cards in the same box.

Yes there is. Bob Carmany uses his TI with two PEBs connected at the same time. There are restrictions. Only one box can have a 32K memory expansion (obviously). Running the same cards across the boxes can cause CRU conflicts, just as it would with two identical cards in the same box.

I am assuming Bob has some kind of massive setup which requires the use of two boxes? Or what this just for fun? How does he have them connected?