IGNORED

Anyone on AA use RPG Maker?

Algus

The latest RPG Maker is 75% off on Steam so I figured what the heck, for 18 bucks it might be fun to fool around with and maybe make some edits to a few sample games or something. Been playing through the sample on Entebrain's website and it's not bad. Anyone here ever make a game with it though? I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

I downloaded VX or whatever version off Steam during a sale a while back. I tinkered with it a bit, but never dove seriously into it. I've been thinking about converting a recent pen and paper story arc I ran into a RPG Maker scenario though.

I've owned all three of the Playstation console verions. The PS1 iteration is the only one I'd actually consider usable enough to create an adventure. Of the PS2 versions, the second one is absolute broken trash (no hyperbole) and the third is too imprecise in it's map editing to feel usable.

• Like 1

I have it as well through Steam. I liked the older one called XP. I tried a few tutorials I got off the web and am comfortable with it. I plan on doing a D&D type module with it someday. A small dungeon romp maybe based on an old D&D module.

I never used the Playstation versions. I created two games in the 90's using Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) and another port of it called Dungeoncraft.

I own it; never finished a game.

If you put the effor to make a huge story the potential is great. I've seen some finished games using it.

It's very easy to start but you need to truly put in the effort to complete the game.

I usually quit after making a few dungeons and 1-2 towns. :(

Man, make it perfect setup with shops, enemies, stuff. Then have the innkeeper turn into the final boss when you go to heal after leveling.

Now that would be funny!

I've been having a lot of fun just checking out what other people have made but it seems like most of the finished stuff out there is all for older versions of the editor. It's a shame as I was thumbing through the add-on packs on Steam and they've added some really cool content. Most of the games I've found that were good also happened to be rather short but eh, I ain't gonna complain when people are providing me with free entertainment.

I used to use RPG Maker 2000, 2003 and XP during their heydays. I've not used it for quite a long time but I did buy RPG Maker VX ACE in a Steam sale a couple of weeks ago, not had a mess with it yet but it will probably be fun like the older ones were.

I bought a couple of the resource packs as well. (The arabian nights one and the horror one)

The most impressive RPG Maker game I ever saw is To The Moon, which is actually being sold on Steam now.