IGNORED

And other things......

marc.hull

There was a bit of teaser in the Jump man post that stated I am overwhelmed with material received from Bill. I guesstimate that the total of disks are around the 6000 mark and I simply do not have time nor the desire to scour them all for lost data. I have talked to Bill and he has given me permission to redistribute this trove provided the following conditions are met....

1) No selling, either on Ebay or privately. If you get the disks and decide you don't want them any more then you offer them up for the cost of shipping with the same conditions to the new receiver. I hope this goes without saying but it is extremely important to Bill that this term be respected. There will be more to come if it is. If this stuff starts showing up on Ebay then the goose will be dead. If I don't know you, or of you and someone I know doesn't vouch for you then I'm most likely going to ignore your request. I know this seems like a dick move but there are people who would take advantage of this situation and the future stakes are too high to just get this stuff out willy-nilly.

2) If you find something unique or neat then you share and make it available. Pretty much what I think will happen anyway but just stating for the record.

The disks are a scrambled Hodge podge of everything and anything from BASIC blunders to commercial software. I am not going to sort them out with the exception that I will cull all the Geneve related stuff and assembly source and make them available to those I feel could produce the most benefit from them for us all.

In order to read these things you obviously will need a 5.25" drive. A double density controller will also be handy as there are plenty of those varieties in each lot. Each box will contain anywhere from 200-300 disks. I'll cram them as full as possible. There will be duplicates and possibly blank disks in them as well so don't get upset if you find these, fair warning. If you don't know or are not willing to learn how to clean a 5.25" drive head then you may want to pass. 99 percent of the disks are in good shape but every once in a while you get that grinding sound and need to do a quick clean.

I plan on doing this starting in May and it's first come first served. Depending on how many people respond will determine how much material is sent to each. I work work on shipping rates. Media Mail seems most practical but it also depends on the number of shipments. IE if it works out to 3 boxes per person then it may be more practical to use a large flat rate boxes. I have not gone that far so we will see.

You will need to pay for shipping via PayPal plus the associated fees I will incur from that (PayPal charges a percentage.)

As an interest check please respond to this thread and I'll tally up and contact those interested. It ideally would be no more than 10 individuals as more than that would dilute it too much IMHO but we'll see. I would prefer not to ship overseas but am not dead set against it. Be aware though that a box of 300 disks weighs a surprising amount.

So if your interested in a treasure hunt then please respond.

• Like 7

I'd help on this one, Marc. Let me know when you're ready to start sending things off and I'll send you the necessary postage payment. This also explains the random disk or two I got in the mail from Bill this month--he knows some of the things that interest me. . .

• Like 1

HI THERE!, MY NAME IS BUDDY BEAR!, I WOULD GLADLY TAKE THEM ALL OFF OF YOUR HANDS.

AND I PROMISE NOT TO DISTRIBUTE THEM ON EBAY-HONESTLY, I SWEAR I WILL NOT MAKE A PENNY FROM THEM OR COPY THEM FOR FUTURE PROFIT/DISTRIBUTION, HONESTLY-I REALLY MEAN IT.

Disclaimer-all of the above may be total bullshit and is in no way indicitave of the actual truth, any similarity to persons living or deceased is purely co-incidental, no animals were harmed in the making of this email.

• Like 3

In fact, we could even crowd source it. Once the website is established, it doesn't matter *who* indexes and uploads the disks. It could be one person, 10 persons, or 100 persons, and they could be located anywhere in the world.

And......... BINGO...... ;-)...

• Like 1

I would help but shipping to this location in tropicals is long, risky, costly.

But since I own myself a ton of servers, I am more then willing to supply a website setup, server space, tons of bandwidth, ftp access for uploads, etc, even register a domain name, if there is need to upload anything from these discs that can be useful as archive for people and to help keep the ti99 history alive and well into the 22nd century. :)

• Like 1

Cool! :thumbsup: Can you support classic ASP and a Microsoft Access database? I can do (classic) ASP. ASP.NET is on my "to do" list but I haven't got around to it yet! For the database, I just MS Access MDB files and query them with SQL. That's what planet-99.net and turboforth.net is built on.

Cool! :thumbsup: Can you support classic ASP and a Microsoft Access database? I can do (classic) ASP. ASP.NET is on my "to do" list but I haven't got around to it yet! For the database, I just MS Access MDB files and query them with SQL. That's what planet-99.net and turboforth.net is built on.

Should be possible, I will look into it tonight, just too busy today with some shit with my car front end suspension not working right.

Hello Friends, for save the floppy program is no necessary a corcomp or myarc tidisk controller.. work well Paolo Bagnaresi program ti99-pc. I used this program is two my pc computer, one in dos version and another in winxp version. Often Dos version is better, read from 90k to 720k. how configuration is better have drive 5.25 high density for read 1.2mb in dos format and read 720k (myarc) to 90k floppy. I save very old and dirty disk in very bad condition and at 90% i read all.. Then Omega friend you need only a drive 5.25 and a old computer ;-). Pity that i live in Italy otherwise an help i had give for preservation disk..

• Like 1

Hello Friends, for save the floppy program is no necessary a corcomp or myarc tidisk controller.. work well Paolo Bagnaresi program ti99-pc. I used this program is two my pc computer, one in dos version and another in winxp version. Often Dos version is better, read from 90k to 720k. how configuration is better have drive 5.25 high density for read 1.2mb in dos format and read 720k (myarc) to 90k floppy. I save very old and dirty disk in very bad condition and at 90% i read all.. Then Omega friend you need only a drive 5.25 and a old computer ;-). Pity that i live in Italy otherwise an help i had give for preservation disk..

Absolutely true. I hadn't even considered that option. +1

In fact, we could even crowd source it. Once the website is established, it doesn't matter *who* indexes and uploads the disks. It could be one person, 10 persons, or 100 persons, and they could be located anywhere in the world.

i agree ! well, i started this project on the DB of my website if you have interested...

you can see some items i already inserted in it:

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/go?CPSVJY

and also the advanced search that already exist:

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/go?QZPH8A

i can create new account for insert the programs, and for every program there are some preview screenshot and the download of the program or manuals...

the manuals and book and catalogs can be read online directly:

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/_archivio/86/book/desktop.html

because i am alone to insert all materials i have i am very slowly, so, i think that your help could be great ! :D

i have to convert also other 2500 disks about from Germany, French and other parts in the world ;)

for do this i am using an HxC SD Floppy Emulator on my real PEB (this system is very great for convert the Cassette tapes too!), a kryoflux USB card and a PC with windows XP/Seven OS (i have and using all two) and TI99-PC software.

some disks that can't be read with one system, i can try to read with another... at now i saved 100% of the floppy disks ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

ooh, ooh!!! pick me, pick me!!

I've got a PEB setup with two shiny brand new floppy drives, a nice DS/DD controller, HDX hooked up, and a vintage PC with omnifloppy raring to go! I'd also love a box of Geneve disks, but am not picky.

Disk diving is a lot of fun!

I'm 100% in.

Edited by Cory

Ah. Shame I'm not in the states. I'd build a (searchable) website out of them, making everything available online for download. :_(

I've been working on a website that leverages the peekbot technology. The peekbot technology is a bit old, so I've been updating it and am planning on launching a new website that would allow someone to login, register, then upload a disk image, submit an ftp location or a URL. The site would then scan the disk, catalog the contents, and make them available to browse online. Using the peekbot technology, the website can read basic programs, xbasic programs, and various other formats.

Taking it step further, the site would let you save or download one or more disk images in any format. The other idea I had was to allow people to subscribe to the entire catalog or specific folders or categories and then, like dropbox, automatically push updates to your machine.

I'd love to collaborate with someone on the project.

• 1 month later...

I have 12 boxes ready to go each with about 250-300 (estimate) disks per. If your still interested then shoot me a pm with your zip code so I can figure shipping. I ended up not culling them but did spread out some dips. To much to sift through.