IGNORED

Walmart Launching Used Video Game Exchange

Walmart Launching Used Video Game Exchange

18 Mar, 2014 By: Erik Gruenwedel

Walmart March 18 announced it is bowing a used video game exchange program in an effort to grab a share of the $2 billion pre-owned gaming market.

Starting March 26, consumers will be able to trade in their video games and apply the value immediately toward the purchase of anything sold at Walmart and Sam's Club, both in stores and online. The traded-in games will then be refurbished and made available for purchase in like-new condition starting this summer.

Available at more than 3,100 Walmart stores nationwide, the trade-in service will accept physical games for consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Trade-in values will vary depending on market demand of titles and their condition, including original packaging, among other criteria.

“This is a new category for us and something our customers have been asking for,” Duncan Mac Naughton, chief merchandising and marketing officer for Walmart U.S., said in a statement. “Ultimately, when Walmart disrupts markets and competes, our customer wins.” 

Walmart contends there are more than 880 million used video games in U.S. homes. Used gaming is a principle revenue driver for GameStop — the nation’s largest video game retailer. Best Buy also deals with used games.

Indeed, news of Walmart’s entry into used games sent GameStop shares down 5.5% in premarket trading March 18. Best Buy shares were down less than 1%.

“While new releases will remain the focus of our gaming business, we’re glad to give our customers the option to buy pre-owned games,” Mac Naughton said.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/retailers/walmart-launching-used-video-game-exchange-32801?utm_source=homemedia&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnews_03_18_2014&utm_content=walmart-launching-used-video-game-exchange-32801&spMailingID=20526975&spUserID=NDQ1MzAzMzgxNzYS1&spJobID=280961230&spReportId=MjgwOTYxMjMwS0

Interesting I guess. I wonder how the publishers who decry used games as an industry killer will feel about this.

I am fairly sure Gamestop crapped their collective pants upon hearing this. :lol:

Edited by GoldenWheels

I guess it depends on how they do this. I hope by making the titles available "like new" doesn't mean the price will be 5-10 dollars cheaper than the new version, or that they'll be trying to sell gutted games like new. IE: Following gamestop's example. That wouldn't be much of a market disruption honestly.

If we're going to start seeing used games, marked as used games, being sold for about 50% the new price then that would be far more of a market disruption. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how they do this. I hope by making the titles available "like new" doesn't mean the price will be 5-10 dollars cheaper than the new version, or that they'll be trying to sell gutted games like new. IE: Following gamestop's example. That wouldn't be much of a market disruption honestly.

If we're going to start seeing used games, marked as used games, being sold for about 50% the new price then that would be far more of a market disruption. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

I agree. I don't frequent the gamestop often (actually try to avoid it) but they always try to get me to buy the used game for a measly 5$ less than the new one. Just the off chance (very off nowadays thanks to the more-durable-than-DVD-blus) of having to drive 20 minutes back if the disc doesn't work always has me go for the new one. 20$ would be a different story.

The only "decent" transactions I've made on used games has been (1) a pawn shop, (2) Ebay, (3) Amazon. I can't believe (this has been mentioned, above) how at places like Gamestop people will pay near full-price for a scratched-up, dog-eared (if you even get a manual) version of a game, when the above-3 options are available.

At the pawn shop, you physically-inspect the game. Most games are the same price. That means you may get lucky (on occasion) or may buy nothing. But if you do get lucky, such a deal! I leave empty-handed much of the time, but I've bought some absolute *gems* like Call of Duty Black Ops mint for $10 when it was still $60 in the store.

On Amazon, it's something of a gamble, as you have to trust that when they say "like new," they mean it. I've had it go both ways.

On Ebay, I only buy if there's well-lit pictures from a reputable seller. Otherwise, I'll just wait until a listing comes up as such. Rarely have I been burned with this practice.

But at Gamestop, everything's overpriced, and sometimes when I ask to look at the disc, they treat me like I'm some dick for asking, and it's only on **extremely** older (read: cheap!) titles that I'm ever interested in, to begin with - otherwise, they're just too expensive and near full retail price. I'd rather pay full retail for a nice copy. But when looking to buy older titles, the clerk usually snarks at the fact that I'd be (1) so interested in such "old trash" to begin with, and (2) so picky about the condition of my "old trash." So I rarely frequent Gamestop, as I can get a mint copy cheap from Ebay or Amazon, if I don't find it in the pawn shop where I can physically inspect it.

I strongly suspect that the Walmart business will be re-shrink-wrapped, scratched-up used games for sale. They're certainly not going to let you inspect it, as you can't even find any help in a Walmart for anything, even if you want to buy an expensive item. No thanks.

The games will likely be "guaranteed to play," if that "standard of quality" behooves you. I want nice discs. It's a relatively-low standard of care that keeps game discs from being scratched, and indeed the vast majority of my oldest disc-based games from PS1/Saturn era (when I got into discs) are mostly mint. It's too bad that so many people have such disdain for their discs, or this wouldn't be a problem. But there's no way in hell I'm paying near-full-price for a disc that looks like a bunch of kids in Romper Room took slides on it across the floor. That's probably what Walmart will be selling, since that what Gamespot sells, and it's not cheap.

Sounds like what K-mart and Toys R Us had going on in the 90's with SNES and Genny cartridges. Remember the cart only, in a small cardboard box with printed abridged instructions. :lol:

No way would I trust what Wal-mart said about being "like new". They're going to take the time to replace cases, scummy/damaged manuals and resurface discs? BS.

Btw: I'm seeing used games everywhere these days. Best Buy and Toys 'R Us still. Speaking of TRU… has anyone been to their video game department lately? Literally HALF of what used to be the video game corral is now made up of tablets and assorted tablet accessories and/or cheesy consumer electronics. Swear, they've got a larger selection of tablets than Best Buy does today. WTF? What's next, TRU going to start pushing cell phones? :mad:

• Like 1

The only way it will work is if the make a real game section.....no one wants to sift through a hug bin of used games like their crappy 5 dollar dvds.

...or hope that some hungry chuck biscuit with the appropriate keys, finally gets around to unlocking a case. Then hovering over your shoulder, heavily breathing their Cheetos/cigarette combo stench down your neck as you try to check the game out. All the while thinking that you might try to steal the damned thing as they repeat: "I can ring you up, right over here". :lol:

• Like 2

seems to me mom and pop stores are the way to go, always get a much better deal there,both on my trade and on used buys and the variety is much better. Walmart is the last thing mom and pops need, however I will enjoy watching Gameslop take a beating! :D

never could figure out why ANYONE shopped there, bad prices,lousy trades. I pass through often when at the mall, never buy anything.

Sounds like what K-mart and Toys R Us had going on in the 90's with SNES and Genny cartridges. Remember the cart only, in a small cardboard box with printed abridged instructions. :lol:

No way would I trust what Wal-mart said about being "like new". They're going to take the time to replace cases, scummy/damaged manuals and resurface discs? BS.

Btw: I'm seeing used games everywhere these days. Best Buy and Toys 'R Us still. Speaking of TRU… has anyone been to their video game department lately? Literally HALF of what used to be the video game corral is now made up of tablets and assorted tablet accessories and/or cheesy consumer electronics. Swear, they've got a larger selection of tablets than Best Buy does today. WTF? What's next, TRU going to start pushing cell phones? :mad:

seems like when companies start doing that it is a sign they have no idea and the end is near, see Radio Shack..

Edited by atarian63
  • Like 1

If Wal-Mart price their used games similar to Best Buy's prices then I'll pass. I could never find a good deal for used game at Best Buy. we'll see when the program launches.

As far as GameStop used prices, I think you can find good deals and some are reasonably priced, and speaking of used pricing on newer games that are only $5 cheaper, I think is little misguided. When you become a PowerUP member you get additional 10% discount on the used game price, so $55.00 game becomes 55 - 5.50 = 49.50 which is $10.50 cheaper then new game. I usually wait till is $20 or less, but that's because I can wait.

The best place to find cheap used games are PAWN shops, if you are lucky, you can get super deals. Personally I have 2 favorite Pawn shops I like to visit every week. In both of them ALL used PS3/X360/DS games are $8.00 each and it does not matter if is newer of older. Just recently, I got "The Las of Us" for $8 bucks! even some Pokemons for DS (which my kids love).

If Wal-Mart price their used games similar to Best Buy's prices then I'll pass. I could never find a good deal for used game at Best Buy. we'll see when the program launches.

As far as GameStop used prices, I think you can find good deals and some are reasonably priced, and speaking of used pricing on newer games that are only $5 cheaper, I think is little misguided. When you become a PowerUP member you get additional 10% discount on the used game price, so $55.00 game becomes 55 - 5.50 = 49.50 which is $10.50 cheaper then new game. I usually wait till is $20 or less, but that's because I can wait.

$10 dollars cheaper than a new 60 dollar game is still 20 dollars too expensive. That you have to jump through hoops to get that extra 5 dollar discount is bad enough honestly.

All this being said, I do pick up used games from them from time to time. But they're a LOT cheaper than a couple dollars off before I bother with them. I can find better quality games rummaging through Walmart's 10-20 dollar video game bargain bins.

$10 dollars cheaper than a new 60 dollar game is still 20 dollars too expensive. That you have to jump through hoops to get that extra 5 dollar discount is bad enough honestly.

All this being said, I do pick up used games from them from time to time. But they're a LOT cheaper than a couple dollars off before I bother with them. I can find better quality games rummaging through Walmart's 10-20 dollar video game bargain bins.

Agreed.

My local Gamestop is. Phones and tablets. I can just imagine the corporate meeting a few years ago:

"hey guys, you know all those retro games we carry at GAMEstop?? Get those the F out of here! We gotta sell some PHONES!!!!"