IGNORED

The official Knightmare thread

opcode

The Big N won't liscence anything

If you were referering to them

No, I was referring to Taito, back when they were a separate company... Not even tried to deal with Namco. But I know for a fact that Coleco has the rights for Zaxxon, so maybe that would be an option...

• Like 1

No, I was referring to Taito, back when they were a separate company... Not even tried to deal with Namco. But I know for a fact that Coleco has the rights for Zaxxon, so maybe that would be an option...

I see , would be nice if you could get liscence from either Taito or Namco

As for the Big N ... Well... They NEVER bothered to answer my mail

...So I took this for a Yes! .... Just kidding ;) :D

Yeah, they gave me lscence for the Pong boxset

I am pretty sure the Japanese companies operate under pretty different rules, they don't fight for crumbs, except perhaps for Nintendo... And I have near zero interest on Atari arcade games...

But I digress... getting back on topic...

Edited by opcode

I agree licenses are good if you can get them...but my point is this...

* to my knowledge, most of the CVs current homebrew games are unlicensed

* Homebrew Publisher A decides to try to get a license for game xx

* The rights holder of game xx says no...this kills game xx from homebrew release

* Meanwhile, the rights holder decides to watch to make sure game xx isn't unofficially released

* Rights holder sees a number of other unlicensed games, including some of its own titles spread among several homebrew publishers and has lawyers send out nasty threatening letters.

* This effectively kills the unlicensed releases and any future releases of this type from these publishers.

Had Homebrew Publisher A simply published the game without trying to get a license, chances are they would have flown under the radar and not drawn attention to themselves.

Just my opinion of course, but considering the small production number of these games and limited scope of distribution, is a major game publisher going to take notice unless you purposely draw attention to yourself by trying to get a license?

I think this is an overstated fear. It's not like all of this stuff isn't on the Web everywhere and there are official sites from the publishers of these wares. That's one of the reasons why we won't be getting any more than one or two homebrews at best on the upcoming ColecoVision Flashback from AtGames because of some type of fear of "alerting those in the know to the presence of unlicensed ports." To me, it's a real loss for the community that these opportunities for greater exposure for the stuff that is actually free and clear isn't explored for fear of exposing the stuff that isn't free and clear. Again, it boggles my mind to think that all of this stuff is not already well known.

And yes, I'm 100% behind the idea of getting licenses whenever possible, though obviously most larger companies are not equipped to handle/conceive of low run (maybe 200 cartridges at best) requests.

• Like 1

* The rights holder of game xx says no...this kills game xx from homebrew release

* Meanwhile, the rights holder decides to watch to make sure game xx isn't unofficially released

* Rights holder sees a number of other unlicensed games, including some of its own titles spread among several homebrew publishers and has lawyers send out nasty threatening letters.

* This effectively kills the unlicensed releases and any future releases of this type from these publishers.

Had Homebrew Publisher A simply published the game without trying to get a license, chances are they would have flown under the radar and not drawn attention to themselves.

Just my opinion of course, but considering the small production number of these games and limited scope of distribution, is a major game publisher going to take notice unless you purposely draw attention to yourself by trying to get a license?

I agree 100%...

I kind of agree but in the end, this's not our intellectual property

What if it was your creation and then people make port of your game(s) without authorization?

I know that Big N won't loose much (to not say anything) if homebrewers are making ports of their games

But it's NOT always the same! In example the creator I contacted yesterday did not make tons of cash from his game back in 1983-1984 ... Companies were making all the big money on programmers (creators) back

I'm kind on the fence on this subject...

I like having ports of Arcade games, but I also like (and feel alot better) when I could get liscences to make them

• Like 1

I think the important lesson here for everyone is that gameplay cannot be protected. Classic gamers should embrace original titles that play like their favorite games (perhaps with some nice twists!). Only getting excited about direct ports means homebrew publishers have to wrestle with legal grey areas. Not fun.

I see both sides of it...on one hand it would be best to do it the properly licensed way, on the other -- chances are few games would get published if everyone obtained licenses...or tried to obtain licenses...

I kind of agree but in the end, this's not our intellectual property
What if it was your creation and then people make port of your game(s) without authorization?
I know that Big N won't loose much (to not say anything) if homebrewers are making ports of their games
But it's NOT always the same! In example the creator I contacted yesterday did not make tons of cash from his game back in 1983-1984 ... Companies were making all the big money on programmers (creators) back

I'm kind on the fence on this subject...

I like having ports of Arcade games, but I also like (and feel alot better) when I could get liscences to make them

I think the important lesson here for everyone is that gameplay cannot be protected. Classic gamers should embrace original titles that play like their favorite games (perhaps with some nice twists!). Only getting excited about direct ports means homebrew publishers have to wrestle with legal grey areas. Not fun.

Not being a business means that in the end it is all a matter of personal taste, I make the games that I would like to play or see on my CV, which in my case means mostly ports. Others will prefer to create original titles. It isn't like I am thinking which games could make me more money or something like that because, as I have said a million times, I make peanuts from my CV games and real money from my job. And in addition to that, I have learned that every single time I tried to deal with Opcode Games like it was a real business, I got really burned, stressed or frustrated. So I am not going that route anymore...

• Like 1

There's more to the picture than meet the eyes

Don't be fooled guys, those companies are lurking those forums

I know...C&D's are scary!

On a similar note, I am just waiting for Shatner to show up at my doorstep one of these days...I expect he will want to bitch slap me for photo-shopping his head on anything & everything, all over the internet!!! :lolblue: :lolblue:

• Like 2

On a similar note, I am just waiting for Shatner to show up at my doorstep one of these days...I expect he will want to bitch slap me for photo-shopping his head on anything & everything, all over the internet!!! :lolblue: :lolblue:

Who do you think will be delivering the XM units?

• Like 1

Not being a business means that in the end it is all a matter of personal taste, I make the games that I would like to play or see on my CV, which in my case means mostly ports. Others will prefer to create original titles. It isn't like I am thinking which games could make me more money or something like that because, as I have said a million times, I make peanuts from my CV games and real money from my job. And in addition to that, I have learned that every single time I tried to deal with Opcode Games like it was a real business, I got really burned, stressed or frustrated. So I am not going that route anymore...

It MUST be a matter of personal taste! Original games or not

Homebrewing is not a buisness, it's a hobby and people must see all this as a hobby

And true. There's not much money to make out of this

I like how Team Pixelboy, Opcode, newcoleco, nanochess, youki, bfgpassion, electric adventues, crazyboss etc etc.. are doing their things

Each is different and brings joy to the CV fans

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

Lol! You've bastardized his image so many times I think you may in fact now own him. :)

• Like 2

It MUST be a matter of personal taste! Original games or not

Homebrewing is not a buisness, it's a hobby and people must see all this as a hobby

And true. There's not much money to make out of this

I like how Team Pixelboy, Opcode, newcoleco, nanochess, youki, bfgpassion, electric adventues, crazyboss etc etc.. are doing their things

Each is different and brings joy to the CV fans

It's not a "real" business, true, but the reality is there are commercial opportunities out there for talented homebrew coders in our community. For instance, I was trying to put AtGames in touch with the major ColecoVision homebrew publishers for their original content (as few as those items are), but because of said major ColecoVision homebrew publishers' dallying in IP grey areas, they're all reluctant to even speak with AtGames out of fear of somehow catching the eye of the IP holders of the world. It does not seem like a rational concern to me, because again, that's not how such things work and it's trivial to find the IP "violations" with a simple search already, but, that is nevertheless the reality. My interest is in watching our hobby - and overall appreciation for vintage gaming and computing - grow (the history part), but I do realize that realizing that ideal is not always possible. Still, it's disappointing to me.

• Like 1

It's not a "real" business, true, but the reality is there are commercial opportunities out there for talented homebrew coders in our community. For instance, I was trying to put AtGames in touch with the major ColecoVision homebrew publishers for their original content (as few as those items are), but because of said major ColecoVision homebrew publishers' dallying in IP grey areas, they're all reluctant to even speak with AtGames out of fear of somehow catching the eye of the IP holders of the world. It does not seem like a rational concern to me, because again, that's not how such things work and it's trivial to find the IP "violations" with a simple search already, but, that is nevertheless the reality. My interest is in watching our hobby - and overall appreciation for vintage gaming and computing - grow (the history part), but I do realize that realizing that ideal is not always possible. Still, it's disappointing to me.

We're kind of heading this way actually

Sure, it will take us some time to get everything in place, but we're still heading there

You will probably see the fruits of our labor over the next year (2015)

We have alot of changes to do and we already did a few actually

Things won't just be the same next year

:)

We're kind of heading this way actually

Sure, it will take us some time to get everything in place, but we're still heading there

You will probably see the fruits of our labor over the next year (2015)

We have alot of changes to do and we already did a few actually

Things won't just be the same next year

:)

2015 is the year we'll all be playing on brand-new CollectorVision Coleco compatible machines with Opcode Games SGM modules using PixelBoys BASIC homebrew carts running on it?

One can dream - may as well make it big :)

• Like 1

Your dedication to the cult of Shatner is impressive! :D

I was lucky enough to actually meet Mr. Shatner in Raleigh a couple of months ago... I have to say he's a pretty awesome guy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

SGM version includes easy mode, with extensive modifications. Game can save high score and progress, so you can use warp doors between playthroughs (as long as you know their locations).

Back on topic, will Knightmare not be designed for the standard MegaCart? There's no saving on the cartridge with the original MegaCart, so you mean that high score, progress and warp doors are preserved as long as the console is not turned off or reset, right?

I don't want people to have false expectations. ;)