IGNORED

If you ever wanted a TI-99/4A with EVERYTHING!

Omega-TI

I'm surprised it hasn't risen higher yet than the starting bid. I suspect it is going to be a snipe-fest in the last few minutes :D

As the seller, I can only agree. My fear is that it's going to out price the folks I'm trying to target. Probably a better marketing scheme would have been beneficial. But, oh well. I was nervous as hell to put it up because I just don't know what something like that is worth. I personally invested at least the $99 in just upgrades. I really just hope it doesn't get gobbled up by someone who's gonna part it out but those are the chances one takes when selling anything. Kinda like selling a classic car only to find out the buyer is gonna chop it up and ruin the originality. In this case, I've already ruined the originality but I think the upgrades are well worth it and are reversible, if one desires.

Regardless, it's one less giant box taking up precious space. And of course, I'm keeping my primary system for myself. :-)

Cheers!

-Dano

I'm surprised it hasn't risen higher yet than the starting bid. I suspect it is going to be a snipe-fest in the last few minutes :D

It's a bummer, but I'll be at work when this one ends. I think you are right, it might get ugly at the end. :twisted:

I'd love it if somebody captures the last minute or two in video or makes an animated GIF of it... so I can watch it later.

Despite having many classic

As the seller, I can only agree. My fear is that it's going to out price the folks I'm trying to target. Probably a better marketing scheme would have been beneficial. But, oh well. I was nervous as hell to put it up because I just don't know what something like that is worth. I personally invested at least the $99 in just upgrades. I really just hope it doesn't get gobbled up by someone who's gonna part it out but those are the chances one takes when selling anything. Kinda like selling a classic car only to find out the buyer is gonna chop it up and ruin the originality. In this case, I've already ruined the originality but I think the upgrades are well worth it and are reversible, if one desires.

Regardless, it's one less giant box taking up precious space. And of course, I'm keeping my primary system for myself. :-)

Cheers!

-Dano

Despite having many classic computers, I have resisted the urge to re-buy them. I got rid of all my own c64 stuff (most not working) and I've just avoided classic computing in favor of consoles. However, your auction made me consider getting into the TI-99. I simply didn't know what all the stuff was you were selling with it. I read the auction multiple times, but you kinda scared me away thinking that this wasn't really a "starter" package.

I'm certainly not going to get into a snipe war for something that I don't really understand or know the value of. If I had found out about this differently, I might have been exactly the guy you wanted to get this as a package.

Where's the PHA-4100A color monitor?? :-o

This is a sweet setup. Wish I had the money for it.

What would you want with puny hard to read hunk of junk monitor?

You would be much better off getting the VGA upgrade for your TI (pictured below).

45469165.jpg

... and hooking it up to a modern monitor. Of course if you want to take that extra step, you can get a pretty good match in the silver by finding an old old Proview 766 VGA monitor with built-in speakers, or any other monitor for that matter. While it will not be truly authentic, it's fairly close as far as aesthetics goes.

Proview-500x500.png

Retro goes only so far, I just cannot live with the fuzziness and blurred colors of the old CRTs.

Good price so far, but would end up getting sniped at the very last second. Pretty much despise the timed auction concept at this point.

Also not willing to take the gamble that any of this would show intact. Cannot express enough how disappointed I am between sellers not knowing how to pack and our lovely transit services (all_of_them) going out of their way to destroy packages these days. Especially those that originate from the west coast. :mad:

Good luck with the sale and be prepared to deal with an insurance claim, unless the buyer picks this up! ;)

Good price so far, but would end up getting sniped at the very last second. Pretty much despise the timed auction concept at this point.

You never know unless you try. I've been amazed at some of the auctions I've won. In the end though I'm not sure if the sniping at the end is any different than the person who bids manually. In the end the winner is just the last person who bid, "What it's worth to them". From what I've seen this one has been looked in on quite a few times, to me that is a dead giveaway when it comes to interest. People may be holding back afraid that early bid might spook someone into out bidding them, because they want to get it cheap.

When I bid on anything I give a 'reasonable' bid as my "robo-bid" and a lower one as my opening. I go into auctions figuring I'm going to pay a fair price IF I HOPE TO WIN, Trying to steal an item cheap is not worth my time or effort, and besides, I just cannot bring myself to do it as I would not want someone to screw me either.

Also not willing to take the gamble that any of this would show intact. Cannot express enough how disappointed I am between sellers not knowing how to pack and our lovely transit services (all_of_them) going out of their way to destroy packages these days. Especially those that originate from the west coast.

Yeah, I've seen some of those videos on You Tube with FedEx or UPS trashing stuff, but really that only happens to a small percentage of stuff. But I agree it's a risk on EVERYTHING people buy.

I will tell you, I'm friends with the seller of this item, he's a bit of a perfectionist, so if anyone will pack it properly, it'll be him.

I actually bought my one of my P-Boxes from him. This is the one I got from him...

gallery_35324_1064_2224.jpg

Also not willing to take the gamble that any of this would show intact. Cannot express enough how disappointed I am between sellers not knowing how to pack and our lovely transit services (all_of_them) going out of their way to destroy packages these days. Especially those that originate from the west coast. :mad:

Good luck with the sale and be prepared to deal with an insurance claim, unless the buyer picks this up! ;)

Definitely a valid concern regarding shipment. Hence the reason for double boxing it and the heaviness of the package.

With that said though, I will be paying the insurance on it because it gives me the peace of mind that it will arrive in good shape and if it doesn't insurance will cover the rest. I prefer to pay the insurance, that I way I don't have to worry about the seller turning insurance down.

Rest assured it will be packed to make the journey. I've boxed thousands upon thousands of routers and switches over the past 20 years and I've only lost one and that was due to MIA in transit. Not that things don't happen, they do, but I try to minimize that as much as possible.

Cheers!

-Dano

• Like 1

Despite having many classic

Despite having many classic computers, I have resisted the urge to re-buy them. I got rid of all my own c64 stuff (most not working) and I've just avoided classic computing in favor of consoles. However, your auction made me consider getting into the TI-99. I simply didn't know what all the stuff was you were selling with it. I read the auction multiple times, but you kinda scared me away thinking that this wasn't really a "starter" package.

I'm certainly not going to get into a snipe war for something that I don't really understand or know the value of. If I had found out about this differently, I might have been exactly the guy you wanted to get this as a package.

Have no fear my friend! I have more stuff and will be listing things as I have time to go through boxes that have been packed away for the past five years (possibly more).

This truly is a starter kit but if you haven't been into the TI for long or haven't tried firing up the real iron you won't understand the benefits of what is included.

The HDX just about eliminates the need for floppy drives, which is huge. 5.25 drives are beyond end of life and when they're gone they're gone. 3.5's are at least still relatively available and 200% more reliable. So, even if you have that game or program that absolutely must be run from DSK1, then you still have that capability. And since no one really trades 5.25's anymore, you're more likely going to download a program from the Internet and then try to figure out how to get that to the TI. HDX, is by FAR the easiest solution. MFM is a great alternative but not for large quantity transfers, its more of a program to just allow you to transfer files one at a time via Xmodem. I've included cabling to be used with either HDX or MFM.

The fan upgrade is obvious, if you ever heard the original, it's as loud as a jet. Now, it's so quiet I forget to turn off my PEB way too often.

The SuperCART is just a natural gotta have for the TI. Since it contains Editor Assembler and the extra 8k it works as a menu system to launch apps directly from HDX. HDX is a serial networking protocol / hardware MOD that allows you to seamlessly transfer files from the PC and TI as if you had a hard drive directly connected. Again, this is a HUGE win, I can't even begin to describe how much so.

So there's a few pointers to help out. I don't know if that made any more sense than the gobble-de-gook that I had in the auction itself but it's a shot. It's really hard to explain how simple this solution will make your TI life until you've tried to do the same thing without.

Cheers!

-Dano

Edited by CantStopClicking
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know that you could use 3.5" floppy drives with the TI ! I thought it was a 5.25 only deal! Sweet!

It has it's limitations still...

You will still only get 180k out of it with a TI controller (single density unfortunately) but it beats a SSSD full height drive and you get to double the capacity of that (90k). But it has plenty of plus's! Smaller, quieter, lower power, easier to obtain, more reliable, less realestate for disks, less fragile, etc, etc. And dammit, I just can't help but think those black 3.5's in black bezels, looks awesome! :-)))

I should have some more dual 3.5 kits together soon (this weekend I hope). So, if you're interested let me know or keep an eye out on eBay. Once this round of drives and brackets are sold, I may not do anymore due to the cost of 3.5's and the general lack of black ones.

If you do your own upgrade, stay away from ALPS 3.5" drives, they flat out DO NOT work on the TI. Unfortunately, those are MOST of the black drives on the market, IBM used those in their systems. Stick with Teac's and Nec's. Panasonic's seem doable too, not much experience testing them, and I've never had a black Panasonic so far.

Anyhow, yes, the TI can use the 3.5's, just not to full capacity, unless you have a non TI disk controller that supports higher densities (and they do exist - just barely).

Cheers!

-Dano