IGNORED

Atari 5200 System Reset Possible?

thegamezmaster

6502 hardware Reset, possible, yes.

And probably the easiest way but would involve internal modification. IIRC, there's also built in detection of cart removal but doesn't that just power it down?

Antic provides "System Reset" ability but only the 400/800 computers use that, 5200 ignores it.

All up, proper reset would probably be best.

But be aware that reset without power down might not initialize the cartridge to it's powerup state (that is the case on Atarimax carts for the computer, unsure what the 5200 ones would do) - like the computer, the 5200 doesn't present the Reset signal to the cartridge port.

Stock, just a dead board that was stripped, trace the signals, there is a very easy spot to solder a switch into. It's been so long, I really did that 11 years ago. I'll have to open my old 5200 and see where the spot is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic. Two questions, what kind of switch is that and does it matter where you put the white and red wire to? Thanks for the help!

Wire color does not matter and the switch is a "normally open" push button.

For those that don't know, the switch may be called a momentary normally open push button. Normally open means, the switch is normally not connecting the two wires (leads) and electricity will not flow between them. Momentary because the moment you fully press it, it changes states - in this case the open switch closes when you press the button allowing electricity to flow from one lead to the other. A spring in the switch returns the switch to the open state when you release the button. When you press the button, the two wires are physically connected by the conductor in the switch so you essentially have one wire. So, in this case it does not matter what color of wire is connected to which indicated spot because, the whole thing becomes essentially one wire when you press the button.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the switch. Need to see if I have one. Is the switch mounted somewhere or just out the back or whatever?

If it were mine, I would look for a panel mount type momentary normally open push button switch. Then I would drill a hole in the console case plastic somewhere discrete but accessible to mount the switch. You are going to want to use the switch so it should be mounted somewhere convenient but, maybe not too obvious so as to destroy the sexy look of the 5200. The switch will probably have a threaded shaft with a nut. Remove the nut, put the switch up through the hole in the plastic and gently turn the nut on. Sometimes the switches also have a keyed washer (disk with an arm sticking out) that is meant to keep the switch from rotating.

Edited by SIO2