IGNORED

Project Morpheus

Master Phruby

Sounds pretty cool. Always looks stupid. I guess between this and Oculus Rift its actually something not to be laughed at anymore.

Here's a more hands on link:

http://kotaku.com/we-just-tried-sonys-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-we-l-1547417858

Not sure what to think about this stuff except that I have to see it for myself to make up my own mind.

• Like 2

Not sure what to think about this stuff except that I have to see it for myself to make up my own mind.

Agreed.

I don't know. I mean, everyone that tries these insist that they're supercool, and that you do have to see it to believe. I'd want to make sure that it'd be supported after 2 years and have more than 5 or 6 games for it to buy one. I have the kinect for the 360 and can count the games that are actually good for it on one hand.

Right now though, as soon as I see one I immediately flash back to The Lawnmower Man and Johnny Mnemonic, and can't help but dismiss it as "cheesey" out of pure reflex.

Edited by HuckleCat

The Oculus team has stated that they need a minimum of 90fps at 1080p to make things in VR look 'right' (that is, minimal motion blur, screendoor effects or motion sickness). In order to get something like say Skyrim in VR at those framerates (with decent textures), you'll need a lot more power than what the PS4 or XBone have.

Sony will have to crank the texture resolution down so low to get the fps up, I don't hold out too much hope that the games will look very good. I suppose they could go oldschool and do vector style graphics like Battlezone and Star Wars though. That might look cool in VR.

Interesting.

Like HuckleCat, Lawnmower Man (The movie, not the short story) immediately popped into my head.

In the early 90's I just knew these VR helmets were going to be common place in the future, and every day was going to be AWESOME!!!!

This gives me some hope my psychic (?) vision of the future is still on track!

" I AM GOD HERE!!"

• Like 1

Yeah, I really think the Facebook deal just killed the Oculus Rift. They're losing more developers over this than just Notch. And judging from the reactions on Neogaf and Reddit, they just pissed away most of the gamer support they've spent the last three years gathering.

Maybe, just maybe, Valve will step in and offer an open VR alternative.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really think the Facebook deal just killed the Oculus Rift. They're losing more developers over this than just Notch. And judging from the reactions on Neogaf and Reddit, they just pissed away most of the gamer support they've spent the last three years gathering.

A couple of billion dollars can do that...faster than you can snap your fingers.

Maybe, just maybe, Valve will step in and offer an open VR alternative.

I hate to say it, but Valve doesn't have "facebook" kind of money. The marketing alone, necessary to compete with the likes of FB, MS and Sony would be cost prohibitive...to say the least. Total bummer IMHO.

A couple of billion dollars can do that...faster than you can snap your fingers.

I hate to say it, but Valve doesn't have "facebook" kind of money. The marketing alone, necessary to compete with the likes of FB, MS and Sony would be cost prohibitive...to say the least. Total bummer IMHO.

Valve already had a VR prototype before the Oculus Rift came out; hardware is not an issue. Marketing wouldn't, either. Sometimes people forget that Valve has 90%+ of the PC gaming market cornered. All they have to do is throw their prototype on the frontpage of steam and millions of people will see it. Besides, they wouldn't even be competing with Sony or Facebook. Facebook is looking to make the "ultimate social experience" (ie waste their money), and Sony is looking to have VR for the PS4 exclusively.