IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

In reply to NeoGeo X it’s great value and remember it’s firstly a portable device

Hey Allan,

Glad to see you making your first post here and were certainly glad that you expressed you opinion on the NGX. Always a pleasure to see your pics that you post for us for anything Neo-Geo and SNK. Keep up the fantastic work you always do and were happy to have you as a member here on Atariage.com. Will be looking forward to the many postings and conversions from you soon Allan. :)

Thank you as always and keep up the great work you always do. :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Believe the main issue with the Neo Geo X now is that it cost almost as much as a Nintendo Switch, which has ported a lot of the Neo Geo Titles over.

I haven't seen a reasonably priced Neo Geo X for quite sometime enoofu. :(

The cheapest I've seen is $140 dollars used. Still too much for me and the minds of many on a unit that SNK only licensed it to a company like Tommo that I never even heard of before in the first place. :ponder:

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Back with karanba 72 with another great soundtrack to listen to. Here is Garou Densetsu Arrange version.

00:01】 01 Garou Densetsu Title
00:31】 02 The Ocean Knows [ Theme of MICHAEL MAX ]
03:59】 03 The Rampage Man of Downtown [ Theme of DUCK KING ]
07:32】 04 The King Cobra is Coming [ Theme of HWA JAI ]
10:27】 05 Haremar Religion Capoeira Faction - Song of the Fight ( Believers Will Be Saved ) [ Theme of RICHARD MEYER ]
14:09】 06 Four Thousand Years of Chinese History [ Theme of TUNG FU RUE ]
19:15】 07 Brave RAIDEN [ Theme of RAIDEN ]
23:11】 08 Hit by a Stick If You Walk Along the Bridge [ Theme of BILLY KANE ]
26:12】 09 Kiss for Geese [ Theme of GEESE HOWARD ]
30:17】 10 Just a Little Smart Fighting Fellow [ 2P Battle BGM ]
33:33】 11 If You Gaze at Reality [ Ending ]

SNK was released as an Arcade Game ( MVS, Multi Video System ) in November 25, 1991.
In addition, NEO GEO version was released in December 20, 1991.
NEO GEO CD version was released in September 9, 1994.

This game is a Match-type fighting game.
It is similar to the game that was released from other companies at the same time.
However, because of the high story nature, a sequel was made, and it contributed in the match - type fighting game boom.
Moreover, it can be said that it is a game representing late stage SNK.
I think that it was a fact.

This game was ported to various models, and many sequels and derivative works were made.

Anthony..

what do folks think of the NeoGeo X? I see them on eBay at around $200, and I always loved arcade NeoGeo games growing up. Not sure if I have $200 worth of nostalgia, though...

It's just an extremely old example of one of those garbage game-playing, MP4 players that was lazily skinned into a licensed handheld. Anything in the current crop of 'xingbong mp4 fun-time super mech players' hiding out on ebay is probably under $50 and considerably better. They spent more of their effort securing licensing than thinking about what kind of product a neo geo fan required.

Funny thing about software emulation--the more money they charge for something that is otherwise free (like their stolen freaking emulator), the worse it gets. You'd think spending money on it would yield a product that just works, and the user doesn't have to at all mess with because somebody already has properly configured it, but it's really the opposite. Because they've put no effort into making it good, and all the effort into methods of protecting their license so they can sell you even more half-baked garbage later.

...and I've toned that down--catch me on a bad day, and I'll tell you how I REALLY feel.

Edited by Reaperman

It's just an extremely old example of one of those garbage game-playing, MP4 players that was lazily skinned into a licensed handheld. Anything in the current crop of 'xingbong mp4 fun-time super mech players' hiding out on ebay is probably under $50 and considerably better. They spent more of their effort securing licensing than thinking about what kind of product a neo geo fan required.

Funny thing about software emulation--the more money they charge for something that is otherwise free (like their stolen freaking emulator), the worse it gets. You'd think spending money on it would yield a product that just works, and the user doesn't have to at all mess with because somebody already has properly configured it, but it's really the opposite. Because they've put no effort into making it good, and all the effort into methods of protecting their license so they can sell you even more half-baked garbage later.

...and I've toned that down--catch me on a bad day, and I'll tell you how I REALLY feel.

Yeah, it's garbage. SNK themselves wanted it off store shelves.

From wikipedia:

Reportedly due to the low manufacturing standards employed by Tommo, in October 2013, SNK Playmore has publicly ordered Tommo to cease not only manufacture of the Neo Geo X, but to pull all existing stock from store shelves.[21] Tommo in response claimed to be in compliance with the contract between the companies, which had recently been extended until 2016, and demanding that SNK retract the cease and desist claim.[22]

In early 2014, in a press statement sent to gaming magazine Polygon, Tommo once again claimed full contractual compliance, and accused SNK Playmore of using underhanded tactics to undermine sales of their product, while failing to follow the routes of resolution put forward in the contract in the first place, and declining Tommo's offers of peaceful resolution. The CEO of the manufacturer said they were planning on "taking action" against SNK to protect their contractual rights

I'm sure shelf decorators will claim otherwise though. :roll:

Edited by keepdreamin

what do folks think of the NeoGeo X? I see them on eBay at around $200, and I always loved arcade NeoGeo games growing up. Not sure if I have $200 worth of nostalgia, though...

Hello!

I have a Neo-Geo X and while I like the system and would recommend it to some people, depending on what they want, I'd say $200 is a bit much. However, if you can get it cheaper, maybe it's worth it!

It would give you a nice handful of games that you can play and enjoy and unless slightly inaccurate emulation puts you off, I'd say you'd get a lot of nostalgia out of it with the very high quality arcade stick and overall build quality of the handheld.

Here is a review I made of it but take into account that I made it years ago. That said, I hope this has helped in any way. :)

• Like 1

I appreciate all the responses on the NeoGeo X. I was mostly interested in it for the home console aspect. Those joysticks looked sweet. In that vein, are there good USB joysticks that have that Neo Geo feel that are popular? It's not so much about just playing the games - I can do that on my modded OG Xbox - it's about the arcade feel. If there are better ways to capture that, then I'd gladly skip the NeoGeo X. I've just never researched it.

The prices on AES consoles on eBay is just too much for me justify. They're insanely cool, though.

• Like 3

I appreciate all the responses on the NeoGeo X. I was mostly interested in it for the home console aspect. Those joysticks looked sweet. In that vein, are there good USB joysticks that have that Neo Geo feel that are popular? It's not so much about just playing the games - I can do that on my modded OG Xbox - it's about the arcade feel. If there are better ways to capture that, then I'd gladly skip the NeoGeo X. I've just never researched it.

The prices on AES consoles on eBay is just too much for me justify. They're insanely cool, though.

The Neo Geo X joysticks are garbage as well. You're better off grabbing some USB arcade sticks (from brands such as Hori), plugging them up to your PC and running MAME or Final Burn Alpha.

Just an example:

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Arcade-Pro-V-Fighting-Stick-Windows/dp/B0136JP894

Even some of the older Madcatz sticks are leagues ahead of those crap Neo Geo X ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Street-Fighter-FightStick-Playstation-3/dp/B001M22WLU/

or mod some of the cheaper Mayflash ones with Sanwa/or Seimitsu buttons and joysticks.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Hello!

I have a Neo-Geo X and while I like the system and would recommend it to some people, depending on what they want, I'd say $200 is a bit much. However, if you can get it cheaper, maybe it's worth it!

It would give you a nice handful of games that you can play and enjoy and unless slightly inaccurate emulation puts you off, I'd say you'd get a lot of nostalgia out of it with the very high quality arcade stick and overall build quality of the handheld.

Here is a review I made of it but take into account that I made it years ago. That said, I hope this has helped in any way. :)

Sorry, Byron. But the Neo X sticks are not high quality. They aren't even comparable to the originals SNK put out back in 1990. Any modern USB arcade stick from Hori, madcatz etc... is going to be a MUCH better option. Neo X sticks are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1

Tommo royally cheaped out and SNK in a weaker period in life looking for cash let these tools take advantage of them and put out something that's really not good on most levels. The base handheld itself is sleek and nice, but not super powerful. I think it's one of those mid tier Dingoo handhelds from a decade plus ago, so you could just stuff whatever you really want on there hacking it and make it a better experience. The dock itself puts out crap video so bad the RCA cable is better than the HDMI and that's not saying much. The sticks are flimsy, they work, but they don't feel like an arcade stick or anything much quality from all I've read. I had a standing interest in them for awhile, hoped someone would hack/fix the thing to make it a non-turd but the Neo community got so turned off and pissed at it, it just got thrown under the bus to be ignored or mocked.

You're better off with a cheap chinese android tablet with it's bone stock install, the arcade roms thrown on a micro-SD card, and just grabbing Neo.Emu. Just mini-hdmi to hdmi that to a TV with a cable (instead of the NGX dock) and use a bluetooth or a wired joystick and you'll be far better off probably at a similar or less price too.

Well that's a shame. I was hoping for an officially licensed device to be better than that. Reminds me of the cheaper AtGames consoles with Sega's logo.

I posted this video here not too long ago regarding a NGX owner and feels that it wasn't as bad as people make out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxynW2sZ3o

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

I posted this video here not too long ago regarding a NGX owner that stands by the unit and feels that it wasn't as bad as people thought it make out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxynW2sZ3o

Anthony..

Yeah, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I got a chuckle out of the wrap up.

"if you want something more than a hacked PSP or a cheap chinese whatsit" The Neo Geo X IS a cheap chinese "what'sit", just with a Neo Geo logo on it.

But there's folks here who think the game.com is a neat piece of kit, some I'm not surprised you were able to find a youtube video defending a product SNK themselves wanted gone.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Well that's a shame. I was hoping for an officially licensed device to be better than that. Reminds me of the cheaper AtGames consoles with Sega's logo.

Sad or funny depending you're outlook on it, but the effort Tommo put into the NGX even with the so called firmware to fix it makes the Sega/ATGames stuff before it went HD look good. I really wanted the Tommo device for a long while but I kept waffling on pulling the trigger as I was a long time off/on lurker at that gruff neo-geo forum and they were just blasting it to pieces once they figured out what kind of scam was going on there. Even attempts to bypass to put more games or hack to try and fix it didn't get anywhere much worth while as it was just garbage design. You'd basically have to blank the thing and put your own new dingoo OS on there or whatever and start from scratch not to make it suck, and even then the DOCK still was crap internally and the sticks so lazily built it would be a wasted effort.

Glad I ended up just lucking into the cabinet I have because that broke my temptation along with getting Neo.EMU for my android tablet 100%. I wouldn't turn one down if I found one lying in a pile of dirt or a table at a flea market for $50 or less for a laugh but I'd never pay retail on it or the bs rates on ebay now idiots seem to throw at it.