IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

1 minute ago, fdurso224 said:

Oh man! Amazing history and that's fantastic you came across an Irritating Maze a Dedicated Beast Busters: Second Nightmare. The stories you can tell us all could take us weeks to sit back and enjoy.  Same here Shaggy, I use to read those classic Gamepro mags in the 90's just to dream I had one in the collection. :)

Anthony..

Thanks! If 10 year old me could've seen what kind of game stuff I'd have 20-30 years later, I'd have lost my mind :P 

For whatever reason, I was always really drawn to their review of Viewpoint, even though I'm not a huge fan of isometric shmups like Zaxxon and whatnot. But I can remember reading that and then wondering why on earth the game's MSRP was $300. Little did I know why it looked so good and cost so much!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Thanks! If 10 year old me could've seen what kind of game stuff I'd have 20-30 years later, I'd have lost my mind :P 

For whatever reason, I was always really drawn to their review of Viewpoint, even though I'm not a huge fan of isometric shmups like Zaxxon and whatnot. But I can remember reading that and then wondering why on earth the game's MSRP was $300. Little did I know why it looked so good and cost so much!

Hahaha. That's makes to of us Shaggy. :D

Interestingly , Viewpoint is my brothers favorite game for the Neo-Geo. Such a fun game. But just so difficult. Taken me months just to get by the first level growing up.

Anthony..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Also Shaggy, to show appreciation for explaining your Neo-Geo background with us, here's my story regarding it.

I've been a Neo-Geo buff since 1990. I was 7 years old at the time. I first witness the Neo-Geo by playing on an MVS cabinet being rolled off a distributors truck at a local Dairy Queen in Paramus, NJ. At first, I didn't know what to make of it because it was all red and had a 4 slot marquee on top of it. The manager explained to me that it was called Neo-Geo, and MVS stood for "Multi Video System", and you can insert multiple games into the unit for gamers to select and play. I was truly amazed by the Neo-Geo by first understanding the technology. I've never seen anything like it before.

Next was the game that had me addicted ever since, and that was Magician Lord. I must've spend so much in quarters to play it that I wanted to stay there all day till closing time. Since that day, I was hooked since. ;-)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より7月20日まで新イベント「UGLY FRIEND」を開催中! ステージをクリアして「エレファントスラッグ(ストーム)」や「正規軍ライフル兵」をゲット! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210714_01h4c8x.html

Translated from Japanese by

[MSA Notice] A new event "UGLY FRIEND" is being held from today to July 20th! Clear the stage and get "Elephant Slug (Storm)" and "Regular Army Rifle Soldier"! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210714_01h4c8x.html

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 「ASSAULT BOOST ITEM」の販売を開始しました! 期間限定販売となっておりますのでお見逃しなく! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック

[MSA update information] "ASSAULT BOOST ITEM" is now on sale! It's on sale for a limited time, so don't miss it! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【限定武器ガチャ開催中】 「ギースXIV Ver武器」の専用武器・「君主のブレイサ―の魂」が登場!ほかに「紅丸XIII Ver」、「明天君」と「シェン・ウー」の専用武器も入手可能! 詳しくはゲーム内のイベントをご確認ください http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL #武器ガチャ #育成

[Limited Weapon Lotto] A special weapon for "Geese XIV Ver Weapon", "Soul of the Bracer of the Monarch" is now available! In addition, special weapons for "Red Maru XIII Ver", "Mitenkun" and "Shen Woo" are also available! Check out the in-game events for more details http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL#武器ガチャ#育成

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【ルオンが新たに参戦!】 新格闘家「ルオン」降臨!イベント期間中、限定アイテムを購入してLR格闘家を手に入れよう!お見逃しなく! 詳しくはゲーム内のイベントをご確認ください http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL #メリオダス

[Luon is newly participating! ] New fighter "Luon" is coming! Purchase exclusive items to get LR Fighters during the event! Do not miss it! Check out the in-game events for more details http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL#メリオダス

Anthony..

Hi guys,

/ 『DEAD OR ALIVE 6』X『KOFAS』コラボ決定! \ 『KOF ALLSTAR』の世界に 『DEAD OR ALIVE 6』から新ファイターが参戦予定! コラボイベントもお楽しみに #KOFAS #KOF #DEADORALIVE6 #DOA6

Anthony...

Hi guys,

/ DEAD OR ALIVE 6 人気投票開催! \ コミュニティにて お気に入りのDOA6ファイターに 投票してみましょう! 開催期間:7/17~7/19 23:59 報酬はコミュニティにて 7/29コラボアップデートもお楽しみに 事前登録もお忘れなく! https://kofallstar.netmarble.net/ja/summerupdate

#KOFAS #KOF #DEADORALIVE6 #DOA6

/ DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Popularity vote held! \ Vote for your favorite DOA6 fighter in the community! Holding period: 7 / 17-7 / 19 23:59 Rewards in the community  Stay tuned for the 7/29 collaboration update  Don't forget to pre-register! https://kofallstar.netmarble.net/ja/summerupdate

#KOFAS#KOF#DEADORALIVE6#DOA6

Anthony..

Hi guys,

イベント開催カヤのスペシャルミッション!BINGO GAME 期間中、ビンゴミッションをクリアして 様々な報酬をGETしてみましょう ルーレットイベント AS サマーバカンス・クーラを 仲間にできるチャンス! ソウルを集めて彼女と 彼女のメモリーなどを製作しよう #KOFAS #KOF

[ Event holding  ]  Kaya's special mission! BINGO GAME During the period, let's clear the Bingo mission and get various rewards   Roulette event Opportunity to join AS Summer Vacation Coola! Collect souls and make her and her memory etc. #KOFAS#KOF

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【コミュニティイベント開催】 全問正解を目指して KOFASクイズにチャレンジ! クイズに参加して報酬を獲得しよう ギルドレイド[ギース・ハワード]攻略大会 ギルドレイド[ギース・ハワード]の攻略を 掲示板に投稿するとルビー獲得のチャンス! 詳細はコミュニティにてチェック #KOFAS #KOF

[Community event held]  Aiming for correct answers to all questions Take the KOFAS quiz! Take the quiz and get rewards   Guild Raid [Geese Howard] Strategy Tournament If you post the guild raid [Geese Howard] strategy on the bulletin board, you will have a chance to win Ruby! Check the details in the community  #KOFAS#KOF

Anthony..

Hi guys,

イベント開催ラッシュイベント:NESTS ネスツラッシュコインを集めて [ランダムボックス:属性パープルメモリー]など 様々な報酬を獲得しましょう! 闘争の章 新規コンテンツ[闘争の章]がオープン 星/月刻印石を製作できるチャンス! イベントミッションも開催中! #KOFAS #KOF

[ Event holding  ]  Rush event: NESTS Collect Nests Rush Coins Earn various rewards such as [Random Box: Attribute Purple Memory]!  Struggle Chapter New Content [Struggle Chapter] Opens  A chance to make a star / moon engraved stone! Event missions are also being held! #KOFAS#KOF

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【新ファイターとバトルカード追加のお知らせ】 ★5 ボスシンドローム・イグニス/ ★5 ボスシンドローム・ゼロ(オリジナル)が登場! SPカード2種と新バトルカード4種の出現率が UPしたピックアップガチャも開催! 開催期間:6/29~7/20 09:59 詳細はこちら▼ https://forum.netmarble.com/kofas/view/4/6286

#KOFAS #KOF

[Notice of new fighter and battle card addition] ★ 5 Boss Syndrome Ignis / ★ 5 Boss Syndrome Zero (original) is here! The appearance rate of 2 types of SP cards and 4 types of new battle cards An UP pickup gacha will also be held! Holding period :6 / 29-7 / 20 09:59 Click here for details ▼ https://forum.netmarble.com/kofas/view/4/6286

#KOFAS#KOF

Anthony..

21 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

I found this interesting.

How many sprites on the same line without flickering?

I thought neo geo is limitless.

Hi Serguei,

This looks really interesting. Yeah. A good read and caught my interest too. Makes you wonder what other finds are out there bro. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

Hi guys,

ivsKBb1g_bigger.jpg

【更新予告】 コミックヒュー7月19日(月)更新予定作品はこちら!! ・王国へ続く道 奴隷剣士の成り上がり英雄譚 ・THE KING OF FANTASY 八神庵の異世界無双 月を見るたび思い出せ! ・ヘルドッグス 地獄の犬たち ・孤狼の血 #王国へ続く道 #八神庵の異世界無双 #ヘルドッグス #孤狼の血

[Update notice] Comic Hugh Click here for works scheduled to be updated on Monday, July 19th !! ・ The road leading to the kingdom The rising hero Tan of the slave swordsman ・ THE KING OF FANTASY Iori Yagami's different world Remember every time you see the moon! ・ Helldogs Hell's dogs ・ The Blood of Wolves #王国へ続く道#八神庵の異世界無双#ヘルドッグス#孤狼の血

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【連載更新】 『THE KING OF FANTASY 八神庵の異世界無双 月を見るたび思い出せ!』 第24話「竜と宝剣の伝承」 ヨード女王に面会した庵たち。 国を救ってほしいと頭を下げる女王に庵は――? #八神庵の異世界無双 今すぐ読む!▼ CW:https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF09000003010000_68/

ニコニコ静画:https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/watch/mg577411

[Serial update] "THE KING OF FANTASY Iori Yagami's Different World Musou Every time I see the moon, remember! 』\ Episode 24 "Tradition of Dragons and Treasure Swords" The hermitages who met Queen Iodine. What is the hermitage to the Queen who bows to save the country? #八神庵の異世界無双 Read now!▼ CW:https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF09000003010000_68/

Nico Nico still image:https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/watch/mg577411

Anthony..

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

WOW! Amazing Serguei. So the answer is 96. Interesting. I have to make a note of that now in my books. Thank you for letting us know. :thumbsup:

So that's your Twitter account Serguei? I'll be glad to follow you on there to show support for you bro. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

This might look like a red Neo Geo MVS but it’s actually an IGS PGM, a Chinese made arcade system that uses cartridges sort of like the MVS. Just arrived in the mail so I’ll hook it up this weekend. Anyone have any game recommendations for it?

Anthony..

Hi guys,

The  Poly GameMaster. An interesting inspired Neo-Geo MVS unit that is worth looking into. Enjoy. :)

TOY LIBRARIES (VIDEO GAME) October 24, 2015 at 1:12 p.m.

210617.png

After many videos dedicated to the Neo Geo MVS support that I particularly like, I offer you a small presentation of its direct descendant that we owe to the Taiwanese company IGS : the Poly Game Master , " PGM" for close friends. Very few players know this support and the game library that goes with it (totally absent from the Gameblog database !!!) and I would like to show it to you because if what it offers is not fully provided, we type all the same in what is done best in the matter.

Like the MVS support: YES, it is a support intended for arcades, but NO, it is not inaccessible so far. Indeed, today, it is easy to consolidate an arcade slot or to bring a supergun to make it work on your TV via scart (this is my configuration and I have no worries).

210619.png

The Poly Game Master is therefore an arcade slot wired in the standard JAMMA format and equipped with interchangeable cartridge connectors whose shape easily recalls its affiliation with the   famous MVS slot from SNK (well OK, at this level, we could almost speak of "copy "). But PGM and MVS share something other than a similar design and operation. Level technical specifics, it is also almost the same thing and for good reason, the two systems are equipped with a Motorola 68000 CPU, the famous (we know him well because it is he who is in our Mega Drive). Only their frequencies vary with a big advantage obviously for the PGM (12 MHz for MVS / 20 MHz for PGM) considering its more advanced release date (1990 for MVS / 1996 for PGM). And even if the PGM support has seen titles unworthy of its power (Oriental Legend, The Killing Blade etc.), if you know the Neo Geo and what it was able to offer us in 1996, we are easily at the top of the basket in 2d hardware.

210629.png

But enough technical gibberish that says nothing about the quality of the support. Because, in absolute terms, the quality of a platform is expressed to us as a player through its game library, and only it. In this file, I will tell you about 5 games only (ouhaip, I only have 5 titles in my game library and I do not want more on the support). 5 games, that may not seem like a lot, but I hope to make you put this quantity into perspective as it seems ridiculous to me in view of the amazing quality infused into these 5 cartridges.

As usual, here is the "video" (commented) version of the article for those who would like to enjoy moving game clips.

NB: I will tell you about the 5 titles that I have on the PGM game library below. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. For example, I hesitated for a long time to quote DoDonpachi II and Spectral VS Generation but not having them (for reasons that I will mention at the end of the sentence ^^), I preferred to simply avoid them from the file (after several tests at friends, I had to get used to the idea that this is the less good Dodonpachi and an average fighting game +).

210623.png

1 / Everyone knows Metal Slug, this cult run & gun series with high-powered action and ultra-polished animation? Well know it, no need to procrastinate for ages, its only rival is undoubtedly on PGM with Demon Front . And I say rival, and not alter ego, the nuance is important to me, you will see it later.

Demon Front has everything Metal Slug has: the same gameplay, the same frenzy and the same level of goldsmithing when it comes to animation of the sprites. He nevertheless manages to forge his own identity by offering a little more here and there. Quickly, we can quote finer and more colorful graphics, the ability to choose the order of the first 3 levels, and more than welcome additions to the gameplay. It is on this last point that I will focus.

Indeed, the gameplay of Demon Front is enriched by the presence of a small familiar unique to each playable character. First of all, it offers the possibility of hovering when we want during a jump (it doesn't look like that but it makes the game more aerial and rich in attack possibilities). Then, it allows to charge an attack when it is by your side by maintaining the pressure on the fire button (like in a good Megaman of the families). But above all, it allows you to transform into a barrier that holds back all kinds of shots at the push of a button, and at will. However, be careful not to overdo it because the more shots the barrier receives, the more the familiar's life decreases until it disappears (and there, no more charged attacks!).

The gameplay of Demon Front is therefore sublimated by this familiar system which, once apprehended and mastered, allows you to do something other than walk and frantically shoot anything that moves. The management of the pet's life and its transformations literally exhilarates the gameplay reworked to the limit in the 7 episodes of Metal Slug released to date. It's very simple, for me, Demont Front arises without batting an eyelid on the same level as Metal Slug 1, X and 3, if not a little higher ... but shh, I dare not myself there 'confess.  

210622.png

2 / On PGM, I remember only one title from Versus Fighting which is worth it, and it is little to say it: it is about Martial Masters . SNK's Neo Geo has its Garou Mark of the Wolves, Capcom's CPS has its Street Fighter Third Strike, and IGS's PGM has its Martial Masters. Three monumental titles of appreciably equivalent qualities according to your affinities.

Martial Masters is beautiful, FUCKING BEAUTIFUL !!! We have here most certainly the best animated 2d sprites of the creation (but mash, how many frames are there in some of these monstrously fluid movements !!!). And this is a detail for some but personal, I love the fact that it is inked in Chinese legends and folk tales ( Peregrinations to the West, There was once in Chinaetc.), very original in this type of game! In order to give back to Caesar what belongs to him, we must all the same quote the great inspiration (once again, we are on the verge of plagiarism) of the graphic designers / animators of Martial Masters on Third Strike (on some sprites, it is is obvious!). Apart from that, we have a sublime fighting game with precise mechanics, easy to access and demanding at the same time. And those who like combos will be delighted because the game offers a lot of possibilities to combotters of all stripes !!!

210621.png

3 / If the genre of predilection of the Neo Geo MVS is versus fighting, on PGM, it's beat them all. Inked in the historical context of the Three Kingdoms at war for the unification of the country, here are 3 titles that should not be missed under any circumstances!

The very first is Knights of Valor Superheroes . This is the most complete ++ version of  Knights of Valor. What can I tell you about it ... hummm, if I tell you:   possibility of choosing 12 characters each with their own fighting style AND their combo system which is among the richest ever seen in a beat them all ... adds to this a multi-branched progression to the Gardian Heroes which allows a huge replayability ... And if I also offer you a multiplayer mode playable up to 4 without EVER slowing down the framerate of the game ... I can pick you up with a teaspoon?

On a more serious note, Knights of Valor is a 2d beat them all monster. Everything is there for fun, fun, and more fun with a degree of technicality and richness that make the game almost indestructible in the long term.

210620.png

4 / Its sequel Knights of Valor 2 Plus: Nine Dragons (the most complete version of Knights of Valor 2) is of the same ilk. Do you realize? All the qualities that I just mentioned about the violently solid Knights of Valor can be found in Knights of Valor 2 !!! (many playable characters, multi-branch progression, rich range of moves, mind-boggling combo system, simultaneous 4-player game, etc.). Whaouuuuuu, One Million Troups, whouah, EXTREEEEEME ....

210618.png

5 / Finally, I present to you The Gladiator , which (and you see me coming) also has the same qualities as the 2 Knights of Valor. The sprites are a little smaller (suddenly, there are often more people on the screen and it is not to displease us!) But the game is of an unfathomable precision and technicality.

210624.png

So there you have it, I hope that this little overview of the 5 monstrously good games from the PGM game library of IGS will have pleased you and will have made bud in your little gamer heart the desire to try you out. Be careful, however, due to a special encryption for each title, PGM games have long been impossible to emulate. Some are today, at the cost of impaired graphics quality and precision in gameplay. The best way is therefore to play it natively on original media, especially since as I told you in the introduction, the system and its best cartridges are accessible.

Anthony..