IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Weird, I can't edit my previous post.. anyhow, I was going to say, it has to be the Arcade Sticks. I'm noticing it depends on *where* I press the buttons as to whether or not they'll work, if I fully press in the middle or towards the top it's almost always fine, if it's towards the bottom or with not as much pressure, it won't register nearly as often.

• Like 1

Weird, I can't edit my previous post.. anyhow, I was going to say, it has to be the Arcade Sticks. I'm noticing it depends on *where* I press the buttons as to whether or not they'll work, if I fully press in the middle or towards the top it's almost always fine, if it's towards the bottom or with not as much pressure, it won't register nearly as often.

Ah man. Sorry about that Chaos. How did you make out with them as the hours passed?

Anthony..

Does anyone here play KOF14 on PSN?

If so and you don't mind having random people (Me) add you, can we all post our user names for some KOF14 battles!

Talking of KOF14 - NEWS just in! https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/dec/18/new-king-fighters-14-character-be-playable-evo-japan/

Edited by 16Bites

Hi guys,

This evening, were with Virtua Boys. The fellas enjoy Neo-Geo just as much as we do. Here we see them in action playing Magician Lord on the Nintendo Switch. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"MAGIC! We’re back playing Neo Geo games on the Switch. Let’s play some Magician Lord from 1990. Neo Geo time!"

Anthony...

• Like 1

One more NEO review:

PUZZLED/JOY JOY KID (1990 SNK)

One of the earliest games for the NEO GEO MVS, this is a blatant ripoff of TETRIS-- it even has the same exact pieces! There are slight cool differences though; you must free a dirigible (blimp or balloon) that is trapped at the bottom by blocks you must make Tetris lines with to eliminate them. When the dirigible is freed the level ends. Said dirigible has the ability to release a bomb blast with can destroy a swath of blocks but only once (the higher the bomb meter the wider the blast radius), and to replenish it you must clear stages. There's a neat Mt. Olympus motif-- between every 10 stages you get keys from gods to go to the next series of stages, and twice during the game you play bonus stages (you don't need to succeed with them). When you beat the game you have to do it ALL AGAIN with player 2! Bogus.. still kind of interesting for a blatant ripoff.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure it's my sticks, the buttons just don't feel right, the way both pads are firing feels like it's an issue with location and pressure and not with connection, but who knows lol

Understood bro. If you have them checked out. Feel free to let us know how you made out with them. If you need help getting parts, I'll be glad to help you out to locate them for you. :)

Anthony..

One more NEO review:

PUZZLED/JOY JOY KID (1990 SNK)

One of the earliest games for the NEO GEO MVS, this is a blatant ripoff of TETRIS-- it even has the same exact pieces! There are slight cool differences though; you must free a dirigible (blimp or balloon) that is trapped at the bottom by blocks you must make Tetris lines with to eliminate them. When the dirigible is freed the level ends. Said dirigible has the ability to release a bomb blast with can destroy a swath of blocks but only once (the higher the bomb meter the wider the blast radius), and to replenish it you must clear stages. There's a neat Mt. Olympus motif-- between every 10 stages you get keys from gods to go to the next series of stages, and twice during the game you play bonus stages (you don't need to succeed with them). When you beat the game you have to do it ALL AGAIN with player 2! Bogus.. still kind of interesting for a blatant ripoff.

Hey Russ.

Thank you for taking my request with Puzzled bro. Personally it's on my like list for the Neo-Geo. Great to see you doing what you do best my good man. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【予告】【累計消費イベント】 イベント期間中、ダイヤの累計消費が一定に達すると紅丸2003の破片などのレアアイテムが獲得できます! 紅丸2003の破片を入手するチャンス、ぜひお見逃しなく! イベント期間: 2017年12月20日5時-2017年12月24日5時pic.twitter.com/YiIpxhLhMD

Translate from Japanese
Translated from Japanese by Bing

[Notice] [Total consumed event reaches certain diamonds total consumption during the event, and earn rare items such as benimaru 2003 pieces! Chance to get shards of Crimson circle 2003, don't miss! Event duration: 12/20/2017: 5 - 12/24/2017 5:00

DRX6gHzU8AAEDZp.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【お知らせ】 「英雄結晶キーキャンペーン」を開催中!ダイヤの購入数に応じて「英雄結晶キーSSR」をGET可能!「英雄結晶キーキャンペーン」は12/22(金) 3:59まで開催です! #キミヒロpic.twitter.com/Twvnx7S53k

Translate from Japanese

[Announcement] In "hero Crystal keycampern"! Depending on the number of purchases of diamond can GET "hero Crystal key SSR"! Is "hero Crystal keycampern" 12 / 22 (Friday) is held up to 3:59! #キミヒロ

DRYLoMyWAAAcLvk.png

Anthony..

I was looking things up about kraut buster and it's poor reception at first. I realised that the first video was taken down because of this. I could not find the video anywhere. Does anyone know where footage is of this first build?

Hey Evan,

The last time I remember was when someone on neo-geo.com had posted it up after saving the video footage in the Kraut Buster thread. I don't know the exact posting since a good amount was accumulated with postings. But here's the link to see if you like to search for it.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257633-Kraut-Buster-New-NGDEV-2015

Hope this helps. :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

So the new delivery this morning was none other than a NEO•GEO AES! This has been on my Santa list for many many years! Will certainly go well with the NEOSD I got yesterday! 1f385.png1f60d.png1f60d.png1f60d.png1f619.png1f44c.pngpic.twitter.com/CfAIGI2ofJ

DRYSAOtVQAElEJo.jpg
DRYSDs6UEAADElp.jpg
DRYSE2WVAAE6Huq.jpg
DRYSGMqV4AE3S1g.jpg

Anthony...

I recognise that packaging! Hit JPN?

Enjoy!!

Edited by 16Bites
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

I always wondered why fried chicken is so popular on Christmas in Japan. Now I know. So its true, knowledge IS power.

:-D

Also a big hint is why Andy is wolfing down the fried chicken. :lol:

Long ago, an American male bought a fried chicken at Christmas. Because turkeys are not readily available in Japan. So in Japan there are many families who eat fried chicken at Christmas. A white suit with a white beard is a trademark, very famous fried chicken shop1f601.pngpic.twitter.com/CQW5Gdc3yV

DRaVk_iVQAAKTqC.jpg
How a fast-food marketing campaign turned into a widespread Yuletide tradition for millions.
  • By Eric Barton
19 December 2016

Every Christmas, Ryohei Ando gathers his family together for a holiday tradition. Just like their father did as a child, his two children will reach deep into a red-and-white bucket and pick out the best piece of fried chicken they can find.

Yes, it’s a Merry KFC Christmas for the Ando family. It may seem odd anywhere outside Japan, but Ando’s family and millions of others would never let a Christmas go by without Kentucky Fried Chicken. Every Christmas season an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to fried chicken from the American fast-food chain, in what has become a nationwide tradition.

Every Christmas season, an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to Kentucky Fried Chicken, in what has become a nationwide tradition

“My kids, they think it’s natural,” says Ando, a 40-year-old in the marketing department of a Tokyo sporting goods company.

p04lq35s.jpg

Demand is so high for KFC at Christmastime that people can queue outside for meals (Credit: KFC Japan)

While millions do celebrate Christmas with KFC, others in Japan treat it as a romantic holiday similar to Valentine’s Day, and couples mark the occasion with dinner in upscale restaurants. For other Japanese families, Christmas is acknowledged but not celebrated in any particular way.

But for those who do partake, it’s not as simple as walking in and ordering. December is a busy month for KFC in Japan – daily sales at some restaurants during the Christmas period can be 10 times their usual take. Getting the KFC special Christmas dinner often requires ordering it weeks in advance, and those who didn’t will wait in line, sometimes for hours.

The genesis of Japan’s KFC tradition is a tale of corporate promotion that any business heading to Japan ought to study, one that sounds almost like a holiday parable.

‘Kentucky for Christmas’

According to KFC Japan spokeswoman Motoichi Nakatani, it started thanks to Takeshi Okawara, the manager of the first KFC in the country. Shortly after it opened in 1970, Okawara woke up at midnight and jotted down an idea that came to him in a dream: a “party barrel” to be sold on Christmas.

Okawara dreamed up the idea after overhearing a couple of foreigners in his store talk about how they missed having turkey for Christmas, according to Nakatani. Okawara hoped a Christmas dinner of fried chicken could be a fine substitute, and so he began marketing his Party Barrel as a way to celebrate the holiday.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas. It took off quickly, and so did the Harvard-educated Okawara, who climbed through the company ranks and served as president and CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984 to 2002.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas

p04lq2z7.jpg

People walk beneath Christmas decorations in the Marunouchi shopping district of Tokyo on December 2, 2016 (Credit: Getty Images)

The Party Barrel for Christmas became almost immediately a national phenomenon, says Joonas Rokka, associate professor of marketing at Emlyon Business School in France. He has studied the KFC Christmas in Japan as a model promotions campaign.

“It filled a void,” Rokka says. “There was no tradition of Christmas in Japan, and so KFC came in and said, this is what you should do on Christmas.”

Advertisements for the company’s Christmas meals show happy Japanese families crowding around barrels of fried chicken. But it’s not just breasts and thighs – the meals have morphed into special family meal-sized boxes filled with chicken, cake, and wine. This year, the company is selling Kentucky Christmas dinner packages that range from a box of chicken for 3,780 yen, ($32), up to a “premium” whole-roasted chicken and sides for 5,800 yen. According to KFC, the packages account for about a third of the chain’s yearly sales in Japan.

It also helped that the stores dressed up the company mascot, the smiling white-haired Colonel Sanders, in Santa outfits. In a country that puts high value on its elders, the red satin-suited Sanders soon became a symbol of a holiday.

‘One of the strangest things I’ve heard’

This phenomenon is unique to Japan – and can seem strange to some outside the country. The idea is unlikely to take off in the home of KFC, says Kevin Gillespie, chef of two restaurants in Atlanta, Georgia.

“KFC on Christmas. It’s one of the strangest things I’ve heard,” Gillespie says. “If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you.”

If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you

It isn’t a crack on KFC’s products necessarily, says Gillespie. The general idea of bringing fast food to Christmas dinner “would be viewed as rude by most anyone,” Gillespie says.

In Japan, however, where around 1% of the population is Christian, Christmas isn’t an official holiday, Rokka says. So the idea that families are going to spend all day cooking a ham or turkey and side dishes just isn’t practical. Instead, they show up with a bucket of chicken.

“This is another sign of globalisation, where consumer rituals spread to other countries and often get translated in different ways,” Rokka says. “It’s not abnormal now to have an Ikea store everywhere in the world. This KFC for Christmas is just taking our consumerism and turning it into a holiday.”

This is another sign of globalisation, where rituals spread to other countries and get translated in different ways

p04lq37w.jpg

After the manager of Japan’s first KFC overheard foreigners talk of how they missed Christmas turkey, a nationwide tradition was born (Credit: Getty Images)

An excuse for a reunion

Having done some travelling abroad, Ando knows that his country might is alone in celebrating Christmas with a bucket of KFC. But for him, he sees the tradition as more than just a company promotion.

For Ando, he’s still planning to get KFC for his kids this year. But he goes to a bakery for the Christmas cake. On Christmas night, the family will gather around the KFC bucket, just as Ando once did as a child, and just as his children will do in another generation.

It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together

“It’s kind of a symbol of family reunion,” Ando says. “It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together, and then there just happens to be chicken as part of it.”

To comment on this story or anything else you have seen on BBC Capital, please head over to our Facebook page or message us on Twitter.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 4

Hi guys,

ちょいと花札探してて出てきた。 こんなの描きましたねぇ(^_^;) 原画スキャンして間違えて400dpiで描いてクソ重かった思い出。データはmac版MOの中なのでもう見ることはないだろなwpic.twitter.com/fCnt2j0eLO

Translate from Japanese

And nice looking Japanese came out. I drew this? (^_^;) original scan by mistake at 400 dpi, XO heavy memories. Since the data is in the mac version MO to watch it again won't be a w

DRbAcwNU8AAncmP.jpg
DRbAcwRUEAAQZuJ.jpg
DRbAcwNVoAAth5i.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

So far my favorite game for my NGCD is Viewpoint. I'd only ever played the Genesis version before, which never really impressed me. I find the movement and gyrations of the sprites to be very hypnotic and mesmerizing. It almost seems to flow along to the music, which brings up another thing I love about it: the music heavily relies on FM synth which seems sadly uncommon on many Neo Geo games that I've played. The gameplay has a heartfelt simplicity to it, you just have your standard blaster and bombs. It's not too hard to recover after blowing up, which makes it less demoralizing than say, Pulstar (which is my 2nd favorite game so far). It's so very satisfying to weave your way through the bullet storms and I find that it helps more to pay attention to the boss enemies than your own ship. I've really fallen in love with this one.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

METAL SLUG ATTACK: 新ユニット"クリスマスヴェロニカ"のプレイ動画を公開!#MSA

Translate from Japanese

METAL SLUG ATTACK: gameplay videos of the new unit "christmasveronica" released! https://youtu.be/t28EyjgNJZI #ttps://t.co/2HkipVEmiO

DRYKgO_UEAAVlue.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より12月24日(日)までイベント開催中!ステージをクリアして、「ルーツマーズ X」や「パーティー・ピープル X」をGET! #MSA http://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20171219_02taab6.html pic.twitter.com/Leo8iw0sBj

Translate from Japanese

[MSA announced today 12/24 (Sunday) throughout the event! Clears the stage roots Mars X, "and the party people X" GET! http://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20171219_02taab6.html #ttps://t.co/cg6Hiqfz8u

DRYufciUMAAaR-Y.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

EVO JAPAN(池袋:1/26・1/27)にてSNKブースを出展! 『KOF XIV』新DLCキャラクターの先行試遊や物販などを実施! イベント参加は無料です。ぜひお越しください! #SNK #KOFXIV #KOF14 https://evo-japan.net/ pic.twitter.com/P9yhePknQF

Translate from Japanese

SNK booth at EVO Japan (Ikebukuro: 1 / 26_1/27)! "KOF XIV' new DLC character leading test and playing things conducting sales! Event is free of charge. Please take a look at! #SNK #KOFXIV https://evo-japan.net/ #ttps://t.co/Hqkj4SWmfF

DRUmL8vVAAAiDIl.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

I always wondered why fried chicken is so popular on Christmas in Japan. Now I know. So its true, knowledge IS power.

:-D

Also a big hint is why Andy is wolfing down the fried chicken. :lol:

Long ago, an American male bought a fried chicken at Christmas. Because turkeys are not readily available in Japan. So in Japan there are many families who eat fried chicken at Christmas. A white suit with a white beard is a trademark, very famous fried chicken shop1f601.pngpic.twitter.com/CQW5Gdc3yV

DRaVk_iVQAAKTqC.jpg
How a fast-food marketing campaign turned into a widespread Yuletide tradition for millions.
  • By Eric Barton
19 December 2016

Every Christmas, Ryohei Ando gathers his family together for a holiday tradition. Just like their father did as a child, his two children will reach deep into a red-and-white bucket and pick out the best piece of fried chicken they can find.

Yes, it’s a Merry KFC Christmas for the Ando family. It may seem odd anywhere outside Japan, but Ando’s family and millions of others would never let a Christmas go by without Kentucky Fried Chicken. Every Christmas season an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to fried chicken from the American fast-food chain, in what has become a nationwide tradition.

Every Christmas season, an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to Kentucky Fried Chicken, in what has become a nationwide tradition

“My kids, they think it’s natural,” says Ando, a 40-year-old in the marketing department of a Tokyo sporting goods company.

p04lq35s.jpg

Demand is so high for KFC at Christmastime that people can queue outside for meals (Credit: KFC Japan)

While millions do celebrate Christmas with KFC, others in Japan treat it as a romantic holiday similar to Valentine’s Day, and couples mark the occasion with dinner in upscale restaurants. For other Japanese families, Christmas is acknowledged but not celebrated in any particular way.

But for those who do partake, it’s not as simple as walking in and ordering. December is a busy month for KFC in Japan – daily sales at some restaurants during the Christmas period can be 10 times their usual take. Getting the KFC special Christmas dinner often requires ordering it weeks in advance, and those who didn’t will wait in line, sometimes for hours.

The genesis of Japan’s KFC tradition is a tale of corporate promotion that any business heading to Japan ought to study, one that sounds almost like a holiday parable.

‘Kentucky for Christmas’

According to KFC Japan spokeswoman Motoichi Nakatani, it started thanks to Takeshi Okawara, the manager of the first KFC in the country. Shortly after it opened in 1970, Okawara woke up at midnight and jotted down an idea that came to him in a dream: a “party barrel” to be sold on Christmas.

Okawara dreamed up the idea after overhearing a couple of foreigners in his store talk about how they missed having turkey for Christmas, according to Nakatani. Okawara hoped a Christmas dinner of fried chicken could be a fine substitute, and so he began marketing his Party Barrel as a way to celebrate the holiday.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas. It took off quickly, and so did the Harvard-educated Okawara, who climbed through the company ranks and served as president and CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984 to 2002.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas

p04lq2z7.jpg

People walk beneath Christmas decorations in the Marunouchi shopping district of Tokyo on December 2, 2016 (Credit: Getty Images)

The Party Barrel for Christmas became almost immediately a national phenomenon, says Joonas Rokka, associate professor of marketing at Emlyon Business School in France. He has studied the KFC Christmas in Japan as a model promotions campaign.

“It filled a void,” Rokka says. “There was no tradition of Christmas in Japan, and so KFC came in and said, this is what you should do on Christmas.”

Advertisements for the company’s Christmas meals show happy Japanese families crowding around barrels of fried chicken. But it’s not just breasts and thighs – the meals have morphed into special family meal-sized boxes filled with chicken, cake, and wine. This year, the company is selling Kentucky Christmas dinner packages that range from a box of chicken for 3,780 yen, ($32), up to a “premium” whole-roasted chicken and sides for 5,800 yen. According to KFC, the packages account for about a third of the chain’s yearly sales in Japan.

It also helped that the stores dressed up the company mascot, the smiling white-haired Colonel Sanders, in Santa outfits. In a country that puts high value on its elders, the red satin-suited Sanders soon became a symbol of a holiday.

‘One of the strangest things I’ve heard’

This phenomenon is unique to Japan – and can seem strange to some outside the country. The idea is unlikely to take off in the home of KFC, says Kevin Gillespie, chef of two restaurants in Atlanta, Georgia.

“KFC on Christmas. It’s one of the strangest things I’ve heard,” Gillespie says. “If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you.”

If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you

It isn’t a crack on KFC’s products necessarily, says Gillespie. The general idea of bringing fast food to Christmas dinner “would be viewed as rude by most anyone,” Gillespie says.

In Japan, however, where around 1% of the population is Christian, Christmas isn’t an official holiday, Rokka says. So the idea that families are going to spend all day cooking a ham or turkey and side dishes just isn’t practical. Instead, they show up with a bucket of chicken.

“This is another sign of globalisation, where consumer rituals spread to other countries and often get translated in different ways,” Rokka says. “It’s not abnormal now to have an Ikea store everywhere in the world. This KFC for Christmas is just taking our consumerism and turning it into a holiday.”

This is another sign of globalisation, where rituals spread to other countries and get translated in different ways

p04lq37w.jpg

After the manager of Japan’s first KFC overheard foreigners talk of how they missed Christmas turkey, a nationwide tradition was born (Credit: Getty Images)

An excuse for a reunion

Having done some travelling abroad, Ando knows that his country might is alone in celebrating Christmas with a bucket of KFC. But for him, he sees the tradition as more than just a company promotion.

For Ando, he’s still planning to get KFC for his kids this year. But he goes to a bakery for the Christmas cake. On Christmas night, the family will gather around the KFC bucket, just as Ando once did as a child, and just as his children will do in another generation.

It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together

“It’s kind of a symbol of family reunion,” Ando says. “It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together, and then there just happens to be chicken as part of it.”

To comment on this story or anything else you have seen on BBC Capital, please head over to our Facebook page or message us on Twitter.

Anthony...

That's cool, Anthony! I did not know about this Japanese tradition-- I would greatly prefer it over turkey, which I've never really liked that much. I might not go KFC since Popeye's is a little better IMHO, but both are good.

I guess Terry, Andy and Joe are indeed on their way to this:

fatal_fury_zpstmlgc87x_by_retrorussell-d

• Like 1