IGNORED

DOAD .DSK files on Mac V9T9 help!

Ed in SoDak

did you ever get the java v9t9 going? just got it going on my Mac VM.

downloaded JRE and changed the v9t9.sh to v9t9.command to execute as a terminal shell command.

More great tips! Thanks! My old Mac current snag for V9T9j is the Java runtime version I have is too old and the updated one from the Apple site is corrupted in their own files.

It works fine on Sandy's newer laptop. Matter of fact, she just asked me to get it going for her and she played a couple rounds of Ms. Pacman and TI Invaders. Woot! I tried the renaming trick and now she can launch it from the desktop as an alias without any fuss. Now we need a USB joystick that works for it.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

More great tips! Thanks! My old Mac current snag for V9T9j is the Java runtime version I have is too old and the updated one from the Apple site is corrupted in their own files.

It works fine on Sandy's newer laptop. Matter of fact, she just asked me to get it going for her and she played a couple rounds of Ms. Pacman and TI Invaders. Woot! I tried the renaming trick and now she can launch it from the desktop as an alias without any fuss. Now we need a USB joystick that works for it.

-Ed

here's a fun little item I have been thinking about buying. Atari joystick to USB adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Controller-Adapter-to-PC-USB-Cable-RetroLink-NEW-Cord-Adaptor-/371039564488?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5663ae72c8

adds a real retro to the emualtors :)

I found a Syzygy usb Atari-type that looked good and had decent reviews. I have a couple vintage Atari sticks, but I cut off the plugs and wired them to a TI connector, so they're no longer "standard."

My old Macs are running 10.4.11. I still have another Java angle or two to pursue. Even given that, it seems V9T9 in any flavor all share the same disk-read issues. Time to now check out PC99, Mess or other emulations.

-Ed

love PC99. it's my main emulator. only down side is that you have to convert all your disk to PC99 format. (if you need any in PC99 format, let me know.)

be sure to run PC99a light version. PC99 standard runs too slow in DOSbox.

if it's been a while since you used it it can be a little tricky to setup. let me know if you need help.

I don't think I ever tried to run PC99er yet, but I have a copy of it several years old.

Much as I like V9T9, it falls down with disk emulation. Large disk-based programs like Legends don't port over well from my TI and I get a lack of screen updates when the map screen changes. Changing to a different Mac monitor setting finally forces V9T9 to update to the new screen.

You can use V9T9 to edit a large XB program that gets stored in IV/254 format, but if you then save it, the save won't run. I have to edit those programs on the real iron and re-port it to the Mac. That alone makes updating my Catman or Timer program for use with V9T9 a real stumbling block. If the listing is small enough to store in Program format, it seems ok.

There's also an issue getting a disk catalog to complete, there's often garbage files or incorrect disk used/space issues. I hoped the DOS or Java version would behave better, but the problems remain consistent. Yet, other things work fine from disk.

I'm about ready to move my Real TI out to the living room, noisy and boxy as it is. I like emulation for many reasons and wish it worked better on my old Macs.

I tried your latest shared zipfile from your PM. It halts with a "can't find Moules.inf" or similar wording. So far, I've only been able to modify the Modules.inf file to get one cartridge to show up. I see this V9T9 directory has many folders, many of them each with their own .inf file, so I'm instantly lost with that added layer of subdirectories. Your zip had DOSbox .74 on it, which won't run. I have to use the older v.72. It's hard to make a fully-customized disk for a different system than your own when there are so many layers of complexity.

I'll hammer away at Modules.inf and it's got to be my lack of experience with getting the pathnames and proper syntax down.

For an example, on my own copy of DOS V9T9, I started with an .inf file with two carts listed, XB2.5 and Pacman. XB would show but Pacman would not, same exact syntax, except for filenames. Moving Pacman to the top of the list made the .inf file not load at all and V9T9 wouldn't launch. So, thus far, I have played with it using XB2.5 only, but enough to see it behaves disk-wise pretty much like any other flavor of V9T9.

I guess all this has held me back from my true objective of moving my TI disk collection over to emulation. A lot of it does port alright, but enough of my own major XB programs do not.

Small beans in the big picture, but it's bordering on an obsession with me. Ah, part of the "fun" with the real TI was finally getting some bit to work as intended! That's how I learned. Before the "internet," and into its dawning years, hacking on the TI was my relaxation and mental diversion.

Finding this forum has rehooked me it seems!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

The reason I have so many subdir under CFG is that I have V9t9 setup up different for what cartridge I use.

Here is an example:

run DOSbox

at prompt type (with comments)

-------------------------------------------------

mount c: . (this mounts C: as root)
C: (change to C: drive)
path c:;c:\v9t9; (set path for .exe)
cd \v9t9 (change to dir with v9t9.exe)
v9t9 /c cfg\XB25\XB25.cnf /m cfg\XB25\XB25.inf (execute v9t9 with configuration for XB25)
---------------------------------------------------
.inf file example:
("name for menu", .BIN file name minus the G C D extension, type extension G=GROM C or D=BANKED )
"Record Keeping",recordk,grom
"Extended Basic 2.5",XB25,BANKED,GROM
"Disk Manager III",DISKm3,GROM
pacman in the .inf, I think, would be: "Pacman",pacman, banked
if you can't see more that one cartridge check the line in the .cnf file: Modules = 1,2,3
v9t9 will only show how many modules you have listed here no matter how many you have in your modules file.
The game Legends, is it copy protected?
Many, many years ago I transferred my TI tapes to v9t9 format, I used MESS for that. Have you tried using MacMESS?
PC99 has better file transfer utilities than v9t9.

Just want to say, don't get discouraged. A little over a year ago I decided to start back into the TI-99 world. I spent months and months trying out and figuring out ever TI-99 emulator out there, Each one seemed to have it's pluses and minuses. After many frustrating trials I finally settled on DOSbox with PC99 for programming and MESS v.7 for games. PC99 seemed to be the more polished, even being DOS, and, if you have the CYC disk, it included lots, and lots of documentation and resources.

MESS v.7 I choose because that was the last version MESS had the useful menu on top which makes loading game disk easy. It also uses the arrow keys for joysticks.

I'm sure you'll find your right combination in time.

Wow, now why didn't the original docs have this type of syntax and example info in it? I'm indebited to Ed Swartz and others for creating the program, still, there's maybe a good reason why you have other people write the docs on how to run it.

Did you ever try the Mac V9T9 version? All that config and path stuff is left behind. Unfortunately, the dsk image support also got the axe as smply never completed in the Nabet-authored Mac port of the original DOS version. Lucien to the rescue on that one, well and ably done! Mizapf's help on the java end has guided me on that quest.

The only time you need to specify path in Mac V9T9 is when using the quickly ported utility programs. Keep folders and files you're working on in the same directory as the utility program and the path is kept simple. Give the folder a one-character name and all you need type is TICOPY MYFILES :A: for example. Move the folder afterwards to the working V9T9 directory and rename as DSK1-DSK5 on the fly as desired. You only need visit the utility for conversion of files. Modules are loaded as needed from a pull down dierectory menu. Add or subtract files or folders by dragging them. No pre-loading, .inf files or configuring needed. So all that is very new to me to do in DOS what are otherwise simple things on the Mac version.

I can see the DOS version is far more full-featured. A lot was left out of the Mac version. Your walk-through examples above ought to get me in the door with it. I have the V9T9 source code if I really want to delve into it (as if!). :grin:

I am a bulldog when given a problem but I had to call in the big dogs for this hunt. Thanks to all of you!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

-------------------------------------------------

mount c: . (this mounts C: as root)
C: (change to C: drive)
path c:;c:\v9t9; (set path for .exe)
cd \v9t9 (change to dir with v9t9.exe)
v9t9 /c cfg\XB25\XB25.cnf /m cfg\XB25\XB25.inf (execute v9t9 with configuration for XB25)
---------------------------------------------------
.inf file example:
("name for menu", .BIN file name minus the G C D extension, type extension G=GROM C or D=BANKED )
"Record Keeping",recordk,grom
"Extended Basic 2.5",XB25,BANKED,GROM
"Disk Manager III",DISKm3,GROM
pacman in the .inf, I think, would be: "Pacman",pacman, banked
if you can't see more that one cartridge check the line in the .cnf file: Modules = 1,2,3
v9t9 will only show how many modules you have listed here no matter how many you have in your modules file.
The game Legends, is it copy protected?
Many, many years ago I transferred my TI tapes to v9t9 format, I used MESS for that. Have you tried using MacMESS?
PC99 has better file transfer utilities than v9t9.

Here's my current list of startup commands:

Run DOSbox Mac = easy

MOUNT C ~/VT mount folder VT as C drive, seems my V9T9 cnf and inf files wanted to see it as a subdirectory. Easier to do this than edit the configuration. My V9T9 folder is in the VT folder.

C: switch to it

CD \V9T9 change directory to V9T9 in VT folder, Needing to use that backslash character threw me for awhile.

v9t9 runs it

Module chosen then if it gets that far. ;)

Looks like the Modules = 1,2,3... is my main issue on not seeing more than one module in the launch list.

Legends is open, not protected. I own both 1 and 2 bought new on TI disks back when, ported them to the Mac and converted to FIAD V9T9. It will either run or halt when it tries to load player data and fails then. I've had somewhat better luck using downloaded dsk images running DOS V9T9. But then there's the missing screen refresh, which may be related to a bit of assembly or a short disk assembly routine that access to it fails until you leave the program and change the Mac's monitor color settings then return to Legends. Or what? Gotta be V9T9-related. Otherwise, it's fine. I think it works under the java version without the screen refresh problem.

I tried Mess and followed for a couple updates many years ago. I made even less progress with that than anything, gave up. It's on the list to have another go with it. Again, it's the constrictive rules and less than clear docs that shut me down. Hey, I learned Forth, used The Printer's Apprentice, set up a BBS, programmed databases with TI-Base and didn't have the issues I seem to experience with using the emulators. Funny my lack of comprehension with this. Meh, slow old brains happens.

Good thing I went Mac, I guess! We don't need no stinkin' command line!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

MESS v.7 I choose because that was the last version MESS had the useful menu on top which makes loading game disk easy. It also uses the arrow keys for joysticks.

I'm sure you'll find your right combination in time.

Actually, the version of MESS that has the NEWUI is still being compiled. It is part of MESSUI. This is a variant on standard MESS.

http://messui.the-chronicles.org/

Edited by mdorman

With the tips and example files from hloberg I am figuring out the DOS version. Got it working on my faster old Mac and it is still very slow. Still hitting a wall with the java end of things getting new enough java software to install and run. For now, I'm going to have to content myself with Mac V9T9, but thanks to Lucien2 I can convert the dsk images to work with it and that was my goal.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Modifications done.

1. Retain source and destination folders (You must set "Folder that is set by the application" in the "Documents" section of the "General Controls" control panel.

).

2. Export all files when none is selected (like WinZip).

3. Rename the exported files following Raphaël Nabet's rules.

The point 1 was harder that I thought, I had to find that the standard open/save file dialogs used 2 global variables for the initial folder. Then it worked with system 6 and system 7.5.5 but not with MacOS 9. I finally found this old document.

I couldn't ask for more, Lucien, thanks! Works exactly as expected on a G3 laptop. The new tracked navigation windows are great, so is the auto-select all. Auto-renaming is the icing on the cake. If you made it any more clever, it would auto-search a folder and self-extract to similar-named fiads. It's all I hoped for and then some. So much easier to use than the klunky utilities that shipped with Mac V9T9. It picks up the slack from Mizapf's TIImageTool to bring some of that to the older Macs and helps complete the Mac V9T9 port of the original DOS program.

Wow, sounds like you guys are keeping busy!

I had similar issues with my TI emulation setup and my Mac. Ultimately I ended up with getting a slightly newer, but used, Mac off of eBay that could run 64-bit apps. So I'm running Macbook Pro with Mt. Lion. I use V9T9 on the Mac, and Windows XP via Parallels (virtual machine). I use TI99-DIR in Windows for all my conversions. It's simply the easiest to use and XP runs excellent under Parallels.

Ed; have you considered running an older version of Parallels and running XP? At some point Parallels ran on pre OS-X machines.

Best of luck and keep plugging away!

-Dano