IGNORED

The Weirdest Place You've Hooked Up Your Classic Computer

We all like to have fun with our Classic Computers, but did you ever take your excitement and enjoyment of the hobby just a little too far (by someone else's non-understanding and judgemental standards)?

For instance, I know a guy who once took his entire TI-99/4A system camping with him and plugged it into a power inverter so he could play games while the wife and kids did their own thing.

What's your story?

The summer of 1984, was traveling with my Uncle from Western Oregon to Eastern Oregon, and we could not bring all the Items in a small Truck and Trailer up the Willamette Pass, I got left with the items from the Truck, while my Uncle went back down the Pass to get the Trailer.. ( Right About Here, plus or minus 1/8 of a Mile )

I connected my Sinclair ZX-81 to a 2.5 KW Generator and Loaded a program from Cassette Tape and added 20-40 lines of Code, then saved back to the Tape.. Really kind of cool....

MarkO

• Like 2

Mac Plus... carted around that computer like it was portable and would setup at various places on campus and work on a report.

More fun than that was taking my Mac Plus camping and playing Cap'n Magneto. We had this LOONNNG extension cord going to the tent from the one power pole. The tent had this eeiree glow to it. :)

• Like 1

My parents had a tiny trailer up north. It was sometime in the 90's. I bought an Apple IIgs at a flea market up there. It was pretty much complete. It came with the cpu, a physically huge hard drive (I couldn't tell you what the actual capacity was), monitor, 3.5" floppy drive, keyboard, mouse, tons of discs, even a surge protector that must have been made by apple too cuz it stacked on the cpu and the led's and the plastic matched perfectly. There just wasn't any room in the trailer to hook it up unless I took up the whole dinner table. But that dinner table also folded into my bed. I knew I couldn't wait to get home to play with it. There was a little pavilion in the middle of the park that actually had power. It was called the "Campers Cove". I took over a picnic table in there and set up the whole thing for about half a week. I even risked leaving it out there over night. Couple years my parents got a new pc, and I gave that apple away. It actually didn't bother me that I gave it away until about 3 years ago. It's not my biggest regret but its up there. :_(

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 3

setting up my pc back then in a room full of amiga owners. Hauling a amplifier and speakers with me and hooking it up to the pc with a selfbuild covox cable. Then asking the amiga guys for mod files. Until then they didn't know that you could hookup a speaker to the pc for "rich" sound.

• Like 1