IGNORED

Can someone help me to contact Jay Smith ?

TXG/MNX

As you've now realised, the 3DO forums also created an additional section in light of JS-II's demise. Not to 'poach' anyone, but just to offer a place to chat and discuss Jaguar. I too even made suggestions of members to "invite", just to make them aware that there are multiple platforms of discussion available to discuss the Jag, Atari and whatever.

Yeah, and to be fair, they have had a Jaguar section for years now. Never was that active (nor was the main 3DO forum, TBH), but still, a few semi-regular posters were also members of JS-II, so when it shut down they began posting a little more frequently in the 3DO Zone Jag section.

Personal feelings aside, it's asshat comments like:

'It won't happen. At least, I don't think so. It doesn't help either that Reboot aren't very open to "Fan Feedback". If you are in on their little group, all is cool, but if you dare to question something they are doing, all Hell breaks loose. It is what it is. AND, I might add that those guys are also partially responsible for the death of JSII, so that doesn't help me feel any other warm and fuzzy feelings towards this or any other project they may be working on in the near future.'

The fuck is that shit?

CJ, sh3, and JagChris...if I see any more snipes from any of you, you're going on permanent mod preview.

Time to repeat myself: The fuck is that shit? Don't roll me in with that idiocy, I have JagChris on ignore so haven't seen what he's posted and CJ is posting stuff from who knows where but it's got nothing to do with me so...?

As you've now realised, the 3DO forums also created an additional section in light of JS-II's demise. Not to 'poach' anyone, but just to offer a place to chat and discuss Jaguar.

nah, it was already there, I posted there last year.

EDIT: Ah OK, there was another page and Austin already posted that :0)

The fuck is that shit?

Time to repeat myself: The fuck is that shit? Don't roll me in with that idiocy, I have JagChris on ignore so haven't seen what he's posted and CJ is posting stuff from who knows where but it's got nothing to do with me so...?

Then I suppose there's no more excuse for you to get embroiled in any kind of flame war.

I'm pretty sure thats a liard quote on that 3DO forum

No, I will take responsibility for my own comments. That was not said by Laird, it was said by me, and it was an unfair comment to make actually, especially in that particular thread as it was talking about a new game coming. Personal feelings aside, I should not have went there in that thread as my personal feelings towards certain members of a team or group should not have a baring on what they produce for the community. It was the wrong place and the wrong time, especially since some of us, myself included, are trying to get away from all of the political bickering and nonsense that happens "Behind The Scenes" as it were. I have taken it upon myself to edit the comment as it was hateful and unnecessary to have said it in the first place as I was angry and lashing out at people I probably should not have been. I was not asked to do so, but did it on my own and am not trying to bury it either as I am here stating that I said it. I apologize for hurting, insulting, or irritating anyone with said comment as it was not appropriate given the circumstance. Just trying to move on and be a better person. In short, I am sorry for what I said and should have thought about it before I said it.

*This post was edited for typos.

Edited by T2KFREEKER
  • Like 3

No, I will take responsibility for my own comments. That was not said by Laird, it was said by me, and it was an unfair comment to make actually, especially in that particular thread as it was talking about a new game coming. Personal feelings aside, I should not have went there in that thread as my personal feelings towards certain members of a team or group should not have a baring on what they produce for the community. It was the wrong place and the wrong time, especially since some of us, myself included, are trying to get away from all of the political bickering and nonsense that happens "Behind The Scenes" as it were. I have taken it upon myself to edit the comment as it was hateful and unnecessary to have said it in the first place as I was angry and lashing out at people I probably should not have been. I was not asked to do so, but did it on my own and am not trying to bury it either as I am here stating that I said it. I apologize for hurting, insulting, or irritating anyone with said comment as it was not appropriate given the circumstance. Just trying to move on and be a better person. In short, I am sorry for what I said and should have thought about it before I said it.

*This post was edited for typos.

Hi T2K - another name from the past :) Cool to see you are still into Jag.

Hi T2K - another name from the past :) Cool to see you are still into Jag.

Yeah, I am. Just trying to get out of the politics and all that garbage. Not just a problem in the Atari scene these days, seems to be everywhere and I grow weary of it.

The Jaguar is still one of my all time favorite systems, although there is still a bad taste in my mouth from all of this petty BS, but it is slowly fading and I find the system more desirable every day. Doesn't help there's been tons of drama in my life of late too. Then again, what else is new, eh? I guess it's just a part of getting older and having people in your life, not being a hermit and all. People bring baggage. Nice to see you still around too, man!

Yeah, I am. Just trying to get out of the politics and all that garbage. Not just a problem in the Atari scene these days, seems to be everywhere and I grow weary of it.

The Jaguar is still one of my all time favorite systems, although there is still a bad taste in my mouth from all of this petty BS, but it is slowly fading and I find the system more desirable every day. Doesn't help there's been tons of drama in my life of late too. Then again, what else is new, eh? I guess it's just a part of getting older and having people in your life, not being a hermit and all. People bring baggage. Nice to see you still around too, man!

Well, if you want to see a very active, very supportive Atari scene, come over to the 8-bit area. It's a totally different atmosphere.

Good to see you here Freeker :)

Hope to see even more of you around in future, eh?

Nice avatar btw...

Oh, that old thing? I designed that quite a long time ago. Sometime in 2009 I think? LOL

@Stephen, I remember the area well. Back in my 7800 days I was WAY active there. Maybe it's time to dust off the system, eh? Just loves me some 2600. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Dear friends,

Like many of you I find JSII closing down to be a huge loss for Atari Jaguar community. My registration number on JSII was 49 and before JSII I remember JS and other even older forums and mail lists. I do understand and fully support Jay decision to close down JSII, especially when I’ve found out about the background of the whole situation. In this place and moment I would like to thank Jay Smith for creating JSII and keeping with all of us for such a long time. THANK YOU JAY!

JSII has been unique place that will always have a place in my heart. However missing JSII and not being able to even browse the forums any longer has left me as other JSII member without great place we all loved and had great fun. As a true Jag fan, although one who did not have time for it recently (which turns out to be a good thing after all since I’ve skipped all that nonsense drama), I can’t just agree that there will not be a place like JSII any longer. Therefore I’ve created Jaguar64.eu forums – I’ve been hosting this domain for number of years already trying to put it into good use and I think finally it is high time to exploit it. I don’t want to do it alone, but with all of Jag fans and members of JSII who are now scattered around different forums and communities.

JSII members: I give you http://jaguar64.eu forums and I would like to see our JSII community to unite again under new name. I honestly invite you all there! Let’s stop crying over what is done and move forward to not blew away what Jay build for us for years.

Jaguar64.eu besides small number of forums comes already with few exciting features:

* Email boxes from @jaguar64.eu – if you like to have this address there is already a poll about it. Current hosting options allow me to do it so why not take advantage of it.

* Jaguar64.eu on github – yes, we have a github account already starting to be populated. Please help us with it but also if you have a great Jag project and you are looking for an option to host it, this is the place to do it hopefully. If you are new to git don’t worry, Jagdev forum contains all the instructions you will need.

Also if you feel we need another wiki there is a poll going on over the forum and it can be setup with just few clicks.

Since I want Jaguar64.eu to be community effort run by true and real Jag fans I’m sure there are plenty of other options and opportunities we can exploit. Just let me know about your ideas!

I’m sorry for this long post – in short: if you are missing JSII and looking for a new place that could be a JSII replacement in a not very distant future please give a chance to Jagaur64.eu. Together we can rebuild JSII community!

Best Regards

• Like 1

Alex - I've registered in your new site although I am unable to actually log in yet and don't have any confirmation emails. I registered on JS2 a while back but never actually had the time for it as well as this one. Personally I think people find it easier to visit one place (AA) not two, but I stand to be corrected. However all the best with this new endeavour.

Many Thanks.

• Like 2

Discussion of Jaguar forums:

What I have found to be the greatest challenge is you want to pool all the talents and skills of everyone, but you have some basic fundamental differences in Jaguar users/gamers:

1) Those that think the Jaguar should keep the rom images on cartridges. Period.

2) Those that like to distribute the images and even explore them.

Here one Atariage for the other Atari systems (2600, 5200, 7800 and Lynx) the rom images that could be hosted without objection were made available. Jaguar, though now old enough to drink at this point, still remains the exception. Other than that Atariage remains a place where you can have most of the Jaguar talent in one place, but almost as a reference point. Watch what you say, and be sure not to say anything too piratey. But Atariage walks this tightrope of "Ok, we need to maintain the middle ground between all these diverse users... but let's not have anything offensive... and let's make sure all play nice... and for those that don't like a download section, we won't have downloads." So in the end, Atariage is a general meeting area where you can announce new releases, and maybe talk some programming... but watch it!

I believe what I miss the most about the Jaguar Sector was the file area. Jaguar Sector 2 at least tried to provide a archive of Jaguar information. Beta copies, scans of magazines, CD images. It was there I got to see all the movie photage for American Hero.

The discussion area was quite large and had number of users and considering the diverseness of users Jay Smith did as good a job as anyone at trying to have everyone play nice. I applaud his efforts for trying.

Other notable mentions, when we had the FreeJag Project:

http://freejag.atari.org/forum/

I actually learned the most I have about how the game images work. That was where I learned how the images were compressed and how to compress and uncompress them. We also had few of the older developers come in from back in the commercial days. One of which talked about the mod player used in Raiden, Bubsy and a few other games. A short lived forum but great stuff.

JagWare

http://jagware.org/

Actually provided the help on looking at some of the image files once we had a rom image disassembled. I have received a lot of good technical help there.

And the crew at Reboot:

http://reboot.atari.org/new-reboot/news.html

Reboot Has not only provided ongoing game projects for free downloaded, but have even offered help to quite a few when others when ideas came up. The Brett Hull Hockey modification tool is one example. But they have provided a lot of programming resources as well.

In summary, there is are a lot of resources for the Jaguar available today (Here, Jagware, Reboot, and others). Will we have them under one roof, seems unlikely with the diverseness of the Jaguar users/gamers. Will we have a place with a good discussion area and a good file area that brings it all together? Doubt it because of the diverseness of the Jaguar users/gamers.

I think Jaguar Sector 2 came the closest in that balance. And Jay's tightrope walking worked well enough till someone threatened legal action. When that legal action happened at that point I would say the "Jaguar Community" died. Or the concept. I don't think we will ever have all you want to find for the Jaguar in one place. But if you are willing to travel around at this point, and willing to be diverse, you can find more for the Jaguar than ever before.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I agree, that splintering the community, for the sake of splintering, seems unnecessary. But having said that, if there ARE individuals who would prefer to have somewhere else to congregate and discuss all things Jaguar, then so be it. After all, I was a JS-II member originally and now, as a JS-II refugee, now a member here at AA.

And, for my tastes, discussion point mentality and personality, this place seems to suit me more than JS-II ever did, if I'm honest. It was perhaps a little bit too 'straight-laced', oversensitive and lacking an element of objectivity vs my standpoint as a gamer and a Jaguar enthusiast: I love my Jaguar, but I'm not blinded by it or Atari in any way. Seemingly, many here feel similarly and, it's a balanced standpoint I tend to share.

Not only that, but JS-II was more focused on discussing the technical ins and outs and jargon > gaming discussions. Very few people ACTUALLY put all that theory and knowledge to use, so... it was of little value to me I'm afraid.

Still, I wish you all the best with this endeavour Alex and hope it, both, turns out to be what you envision AND serves those you seek to reach out to in the best way possible!

It's obvious to me now, in my short time here, that AA isn't the best fit for everyone and I think those individuals would be very grateful for another nesting place to settle down and get all involved in the heart of the Jaguar!

• Like 2

Discussion of Jaguar forums:

What I have found to be the greatest challenge is you want to pool all the talents and skills of everyone, but you have some basic fundamental differences in Jaguar users/gamers:

1) Those that think the Jaguar should keep the rom images on cartridges. Period.

2) Those that like to distribute the images and even explore them.

I think all the devs that have released products for sale, and had them sell out 100% just about every time has by itself put an end to the line of the pointlessly ridiculous 'piracy discussion' People are sitting around just waiting to throw money at Jag products, not hiding in the shadows plotting some massive piracy conspiracy.

All folks need to do is just act like a normal human being and respect active developers wishes, treat the Jag like every other long dead console in history, and move on with enjoying it...

• Like 9

Dear friends,

Like many of you I find JSII closing down to be a huge loss for Atari Jaguar community. My registration number on JSII was 49 and before JSII I remember JS and other even older forums and mail lists. I do understand and fully support Jay decision to close down JSII, especially when I’ve found out about the background of the whole situation. In this place and moment I would like to thank Jay Smith for creating JSII and keeping with all of us for such a long time. THANK YOU JAY!

JSII has been unique place that will always have a place in my heart. However missing JSII and not being able to even browse the forums any longer has left me as other JSII member without great place we all loved and had great fun. As a true Jag fan, although one who did not have time for it recently (which turns out to be a good thing after all since I’ve skipped all that nonsense drama), I can’t just agree that there will not be a place like JSII any longer. Therefore I’ve created Jaguar64.eu forums – I’ve been hosting this domain for number of years already trying to put it into good use and I think finally it is high time to exploit it. I don’t want to do it alone, but with all of Jag fans and members of JSII who are now scattered around different forums and communities.

JSII members: I give you http://jaguar64.eu forums and I would like to see our JSII community to unite again under new name. I honestly invite you all there! Let’s stop crying over what is done and move forward to not blew away what Jay build for us for years.

Jaguar64.eu besides small number of forums comes already with few exciting features:

* Email boxes from @jaguar64.eu – if you like to have this address there is already a poll about it. Current hosting options allow me to do it so why not take advantage of it.

* Jaguar64.eu on github – yes, we have a github account already starting to be populated. Please help us with it but also if you have a great Jag project and you are looking for an option to host it, this is the place to do it hopefully. If you are new to git don’t worry, Jagdev forum contains all the instructions you will need.

Also if you feel we need another wiki there is a poll going on over the forum and it can be setup with just few clicks.

Since I want Jaguar64.eu to be community effort run by true and real Jag fans I’m sure there are plenty of other options and opportunities we can exploit. Just let me know about your ideas!

I’m sorry for this long post – in short: if you are missing JSII and looking for a new place that could be a JSII replacement in a not very distant future please give a chance to Jagaur64.eu. Together we can rebuild JSII community!

Best Regards

Hey Alex, nice to see that you are active again. I remember asking a few times at JS2 what happened to you since you just dissapeared for quite a long time. I remember having good discussions and good deals ( I think you got one of my Procontrollers...??? ) :-)

Anyway I wish you good luck with your forum although right now I don't see the need for another one and there are quite a few already. I think the real wealth of JS2 would now be to be able to read all the archives and interviews and Informations about Betas, programming and whatnot that was accumulated over the years especially in those hardcore collecting days of Jay. Also the participation of Ex-Atari employees was really cool back then with a lot of information.

I would love to see it as an archive and am sad that it is lost because truth to be told I don't think you can recreate whatever it is that felt like JS2. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of people with the same hobby that talk about it and that you can have almost everywhere and then it clicks or does not. With that said I still hope that you'll have success with your forum, have you talked to Belboz? He is trying something similar with his Reddit effort, maybe you could combine forces since he is also trying to keep that spirit alive.

All the best

Alex - I've registered in your new site although I am unable to actually log in yet and don't have any confirmation emails. I registered on JS2 a while back but never actually had the time for it as well as this one. Personally I think people find it easier to visit one place (AA) not two, but I stand to be corrected. However all the best with this new endeavour.

Many Thanks.

Dear Guitari

Thank you for registering in Jaguar64.eu forum. Your account is already activated so feel free to post ;)

I have nothing against AA and Jaguar64.eu users will be still visiting AA due to several reasons including J64 lacks other Atari consoles and computer subforums. I'm old AA user but I've felt like at home at JSII and not AA. This is why I've donated the space and domain for a new forum. Don't want to split the community since it has been done long time ago anyway - this is just a fill up for an empty space after JSII.

All the best