IGNORED

Famicom Japanese exlusive game recommenations?

Hi,

I just acquired my first Famicom System from a fellow member and I am literally OVERWHELMED by the game selection. I am wanting to try a few cool JP games that weren't released here but there's soooooo many to choose from; I literally don't know where to start.

Anybody got any suggestions of some (non RPG -- can't read Japanese) games to seek?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Its safe to say that soooooo many Famicom games are great! The way I start my collection was to buy the inexpensive games first and work upwards to the most expensive! I personally didn't have a list on what games to acquire first and I found that 97% of the games were fun and replay value was (and still is) high!

Enjoy your system and the many games that will follow!

Anthony...

Hi,

I just acquired my first Famicom System from a fellow member and I am literally OVERWHELMED by the game selection. I am wanting to try a few cool JP games that weren't released here but there's soooooo many to choose from; I literally don't know where to start.

Anybody got any suggestions of some (non RPG -- can't read Japanese) games to seek?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Try Al Senshi Nicol on Famicom Disk if you have a chance

Awesome game by Konami

I've never bothered with any bootleg multicarts, but they're quite popular. If you like classic arcade games, and being on AtariAge I assume you do, definitely check out Dig Dug II, Mappy, Nuts and Milk, Exerion, and Galaxian. If you like shooters, Recca, Crisis Force, Gradius II, Parodius, and TwinBee might be interesting to you, ordered by quality.

To those that own a Famicom --

is the disk system add on worth looking into?

Thanks

Yes!

But be careful when you purchase them. Many have broken belts that need to be replaced. So if you see one that's a good deal. Ask the seller if the belt works or it needs replacement!

Anthony...

Yes!

But be careful when you purchase them. Many have broken belts that need to be replaced. So if you see one that's a good deal. Ask the seller if the belt works or it needs replacement!

Anthony...

The FDS I never got into, mostly because the best games on it got US cart releases. Why should we pick up a FDS today aside from the collector's urge or historical curiosity? Any must-have exclusives?

Been a famicom fan for a while. Some thoughts:

1) Pirate multicarts tend to have the same stuff on them. Don't pass one up if you can get it cheap, but don't put any real time or effort into obtaining them. Get one or two and then focus on the *real* gold.

2) Lots of games that were released in the USA were better or at least different on the Famicom. Contra and SMB3 come to min.

3) Flashcarts are often able to play FDS games. It may be cheaper to get a flashcart than to obtain a working FDS.

I've never bothered with any bootleg multicarts, but they're quite popular. If you like classic arcade games, and being on AtariAge I assume you do, definitely check out Dig Dug II, Mappy, Nuts and Milk, Exerion, and Galaxian. If you like shooters, Recca, Crisis Force, Gradius II, Parodius, and TwinBee might be interesting to you, ordered by quality.

Seconded. There is also Pac-Land and Choplifter, ironically modeled more on Sega's arcade game than on the Apple II original. Speaking of Apple II originals, the Famicom also got a port of Karateka that didn't make it to the NES.

The FDS I never got into, mostly because the best games on it got US cart releases. Why should we pick up a FDS today aside from the collector's urge or historical curiosity? Any must-have exclusives?

SMB2 and Legend of Zelda were the top because of its history with the FDS. I also have the 3D glasses and the keyboard with it as well. I got into this option because most of my Japanese acquaintances in NYC say that I should look into one because its an interesting piece to have in a collection. I found out that its a unique system overall and fun.

Anthony...

• Like 1

Yeah, in time I definitely plan to get the disk system add on. I imagine that takes its own power adapter, too? Is it the same as the Famicom?

Yes, 2 you need! An AC adapter with a red plug at the end, and a RAM adapter!

But on the plus side. Prices for the FDS complete have been stagnated for 5-8 years now. So the pricing for them won't go up anytime soon!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

The famicom/ NES is by far one of my favorite systems.

There's plenty of exclusives to the japanese market that I've enjoyed over the Years.

Some of the more well known ones like Wanpakku Graffiti and Boku Dracula-kun and Crisis Force, as well as some less common ones like:

Choujin Sentai Jetman: (by the same team who made Solbrain (Shatterhand), do I need to say more?)

Hello Kitty World: (surprisingly good Balloon Fight sequel)

Cocoron: (awesome game where you get to design your character and platform through plenty of levels with it)

Yume Penguin Monogatari: (a very interesting little platformer about a penguin that tries to get fit while enemies try to forcefeed him food)

These are just some of my pics, but the FC holds LOTS and LOTS of great games :D

Plenty of which are platformers and action games, so you don't have to worry about the language barriers on many games.

One series I have to really mention is the Kunio-kun series.

Some of these games were localized as Nintendo World-Cup, River City Ransom, Super Volleyball and Crash 'n' the Boys: Street Challenge.

But there was many many more released in Japan, including yet another soccer one, icehockey and basketball :)

Definitely some of my favorite sports titles.

Edited by robotwo