IGNORED

RF Toroid?

xucaen

I have some that open and "clip around" the cables that I have, taken from other junk.

I believe they can help, and I use what I have.

They were in the old switch boxes, but we are now (if not, you should be) connecting to the antenna in directly, and that leaves these out of the connection, unless you add one on.

There is no longer TV channels over the air for Ch 3 or Ch 4, but all the devices we use these days can and will emit RF that those Toriods may absorb?

Do they work? An expert would have to explain.

It's interesting that the old switch boxes had toroids in them. I didn't know that. Anyways, yes I am using the RCA adapter to plug in to the coax on the back of the TV. I have 50" LCD, along with a WII, PC, Blu Ray, Ouya, wifi, modem, not to mention mobile phones - everything pretty much stays on so there is a lot of RF interference in this room. No wonder I am getting static!

I'm doing more research into a toroid solution. Thanks for your input!

The toroid was a choke, to remove remove spurious signals. However I believe they were mainly to stop the machine from broadcasting. If you had rabbit ears on your tv, and you don't have the choke, you could pick up the signal over the air. This was especially true of the later machines such as the NES. The FCC was pretty strict on devices not interfering with other things, especially TV and Radio signals. So a cheap fix was for the manufacturer to simply put a toroid on the wire, to stop it from acting as an antenna. It does help stop incoming signals, but it's true purpose was to comply with FCC rules.

I just wanted to add an additional note to this thread in case anyone ever finds it in a search or something. In my case, the static was not RF noise, it was actually the connector soldered onto the board that needed to be replaced. Also, after fixing it, the RF modulator will sometimes produce static. Hitting the console directly underneath the RF modulator seems to fix the static (others have reported flipping the channel select switch back and forth will also clear up the static.). I think an AV mod would solve the problem permanently.