IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I think there is obviously a demand, whether from nostalgia or for other reasons, for the tabletop form factor. The iCade proved that as have many DIY projects.

A tabletop market is different than a handheld market.

There are already countless handheld options for retro gaming. I don't see a Coleco branded handheld selling because there simply isn't market demand.

Even if expense is a factor, there are dozens of Chinese Android gaming devices out there that can run MAME. Coleco can't offer anything that isn't already available.

Unless they take one of those Chinese Android gaming devices and put it into a tabletop. That would be cool.

Or maybe they are planning an iCade-like device but styled like the classic Coleco tabletops with BT physical controls. That would probably sell as well.

Simply make CV Flashback in a tabletop

That's a pretty good idea. It should be easy enough. Heck, how hard would it be to make these:

frogger.jpg

(which BTW, are not that old. 2006 I think. Chances are the molds still exist for them.)

But have it running something like this:

lexibook-cyber-console-center.jpg

Just for the record I own one of these Lexibook devices. Very cool. It has a ton of games. Some of them are rip-offs of classic games with updated graphics. Everything runs smooth and I'd say the graphics is on par with 16/32 bit. BTW, mine only cost $15.00 new!

Of course I would just be happy with the table top recreations (which btw, don't need to be 100% like the originals).

Here's an idea. Didn't Coleco make some colored hand held's a few years back? Why not put those games in one table top game called the "Coleco Arcade" Just a thought.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 1

Rasberry Pi have a nice arcade cab...

FZ6E71ZHWNFNVK9.MEDIUM.jpg

Porta-Pi Arcade! :D

Kits are fairly expensive too. If hobbyists are willing to sink $200+ on a custom table top arcade cab, then demand for tabletop product certainly exists. A $25-$40 arcade recreation would sell like hot-cakes! :D

Edited by stardust4ever

But who wants plywood hot cakes?

The existence of an expensive product is not evidence of market demand.

If that plywood tabletop doesn't convince you, just try the keywords "tabletop arcade cabinet" under Google Images. Some of these tabletops look rather impressive. :)

I especially like this one for its small and sleek form factor: http://www.coolthings.com/nanocade-netbook-arcade/

EDIT: Just found another nice one. Beyond the cool esthetics, I like it for the fact that it supports two players: http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/stepweecade.htm

• Like 1

Pixelboy -- I'm not saying I hate the idea. I miss arcade games terribly and I love having ways to bring them back into my life.

I just think that a prediction that a little arcade machine "will sell like hot cakes" isn't supported by pointing to fancy bespoke one-offs. The stuff you've linked to is all beautiful, but also very expensive. I don't think that a cheap, junky version will sell millions of units. I don't think the market demand is as big we might wish it were. It will probably sell like hot cakes at a gathering of celiacs.

I recently bought an iCade Core for next to nothing and think it's great (the seller has a bunch of these, new in the box, free shipping, all for $16). It didn't include any screen or computer or software, of course. This is the arcade experience, for cheap, and it's being liquidated, probably because of soft demand. I love it, but I can see how it isn't setting the world on fire.

Look no further than elsewhere on this board to see people crapping on a nice product that works wonderfully for retrogames.

• Like 1

Look no further than elsewhere on this board to see people crapping on a nice product that works wonderfully for retrogames.

To be fair, the early shipments of the Ouya severely underdelivered in terms of build quality, particularly in regards to the controllers. It does point to how difficult it is to design and manufacture such products even with solid funding. Of course, we can also point to the RetroN 5, which, again, outside of the controller and final retail price, delivered on its promises in spades, yet that too gets savaged for everything from build quality to how the regular system updates are implemented. As I've stated before, retrogaming fans are a particularly tough crowd - we know what we want and how we want it and are not afraid to express it - but that's not always the most practical response.

I can't talk much about it, but I can say AtGames is considering all types of future physical products in addition to their digital stuff (which is naturally going to allow for more flexibility). The catch comes down to cost. For them to do some of the more sophisticated stuff (like proper arcade emulation as one relevant example to our discussion), they have to go to the next level in terms of technology and cost, which means a whole different approach with retailers. It's the difference between being able to sell and stock something for $40 versus $80 or more, with some retailers not wanting to touch the latter. I'm sure comparable challenges face other companies with similar ideas.

• Like 1

It's not just you. I just checked with their chat agent. The person told me that it's possible that pre-order stock has been sold out. The item would be re-listed on the website when it is available to purchase.

I think it can only be a good thing for them to have sold out of their pre-orders for the Coleco, Intellivision, and Sega units. I guess a lingering question would be, "how large was that allocation?" but since we will never know, let's just pretend it's awesome news!

I'm glad I ordered mine already. :-)

tumblr_n7udqmQmli1squ785o1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Weird! :o

Maybe some kind of re-listing?

I'm sure it's an anomaly as they're a confirmed retailer, but it is quite strange. I wonder if it still shows up on the Order Status for those who pre-ordered from there?

As was stated, the Atari Flashback 5 still shows up, as does the Sega Classic Console.

EDIT: Never mind, I see it still shows up for Flojomojo's pre-order.

As far as I know, TRU was the only place doing preorders. We know that they will have it in store. Dollar General will have Antarctic Adventure as a bonus game on theirs. I have heard that Sam's Club should have these as well, and previous AtGames products were available at Target and Walmart. They'll certainly be at the AtGames online store, and possibly on Amazon at launch.

As far as I know, TRU was the only place doing preorders. We know that they will have it in store. Dollar General will have Antarctic Adventure as a bonus game on theirs. I have heard that Sam's Club should have these as well, and previous AtGames products were available at Target and Walmart. They'll certainly be at the AtGames online store, and possibly on Amazon at launch.

Toys R Us, Dollar General, and Sam's Club are the main stores quoted to me by AtGames, but it's likely it will also be available at at least some of those other places you mentioned. There are special editions for all of the upcoming products except for the Sega handheld. As it relates to the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks, Dollar General will have the special editions with the extra game, and Sam's Club will have the special editions with the extra overlays.

Does anyone know if Dollar General will be stocking these things on day one, or will they slowly trickle into stores? Reason why I ask is I plan on walking into my local Dollar General on October 1st to pick up a Coleco unit, but they've always seemed like a kind of discount store, so I'm wondering if they have the infrastructure set up to do things like "place stock on store shelf on X date." Or do I have to ask the clerk/manager to check the stock room for me?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Dollar General will be stocking these things on day one, or will they slowly trickle into stores? Reason why I ask is I plan on walking into my local Dollar General on October 1st to pick up a Coleco unit, but they've always seemed like a kind of discount store, so I'm wondering if they have the infrastructure set up to do things like "place stock on store shelf on X date." Or do I have to ask the clerk/manager to check the stock room for me?

Thats my plan...I pass probably 5 Dollar Generals on the way to my closest TRU......I'm hoping I run into them there, and save me a 100 mile roundtrip drive to TRU

Releasing in October does not mean October 1. It means "some time" in October. No exact dates were given nor do I think they can be given. These chains have to receive stock, then distribute the stock, etc. It could even be sooner than October 1, but it almost certainly will be some time after. If there are any updates, I'll let everyone know, but right now there are no hard dates.

Toys R Us, Dollar General, and Sam's Club are the main stores quoted to me by AtGames, but it's likely it will also be available at at least some of those other places you mentioned. There are special editions for all of the upcoming products except for the Sega handheld. As it relates to the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks, Dollar General will have the special editions with the extra game, and Sam's Club will have the special editions with the extra overlays.

Do you know if there are any concrete connections with any Canadian retailers yet? On Twitter, "Coleco Holdings LLC" announced it would be available in Canada but has given no further details.

Do you know if there are any concrete connections with any Canadian retailers yet? On Twitter, "Coleco Holdings LLC" announced it would be available in Canada but has given no further details.

AtGames themselves is only distributing through US retailers at the present time. Coleco Holdings is able to use a sub-distributor if they so choose, but neither AtGames or I have insight into that. That's up to them. In other words if they're saying Canada (and are not simply mistaken, which is possible as if you just read through this thread you'll see how things have evolved over time), then presumably they have bought x number of units and worked out a deal with another distributor. The same would obviously apply to other territories, but it's not direct from or through AtGames.

Now makes me wonder if CollectorVision could not be a Canadian distributor for the ColecoVision Flashback :?

I imagine the relationship with Intellivision Productions and ColecoVision Holdings is a bit different (like it is with Atari and Sega), but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't see why if a sufficient volume was purchased that any reasonable entity couldn't act as a distributor. Of course, you'd have to be up on Canadian business law for that type of thing, etc.

I imagine the relationship with Intellivision Productions and ColecoVision Holdings is a bit different (like it is with Atari and Sega), but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't see why if a sufficient volume was purchased that any reasonable entity couldn't act as a distributor. Of course, you'd have to be up on Canadian business law for that type of thing, etc.

I think we must be able to handle all Canadians orders

No problems, we are registered buisness

Bill, I'll send you a PM :)

• Like 1