IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I love the Frenzy music! Better than the arcade voices, IMHO.

I miss these little man-in-a-maze-shoot-your-way-out games. "Twin stick shooters" aren't the same.

But Robotron was a "twin [joy]stick shooter", maybe it set the precident for all FPS games yet to come! :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Yeah, obviously Robotron and Berserk/Frenzy are completely different from each other. Although I readily acknowledge Robotron's status, I personally prefer the more deliberate action of Berserk/Frenzy. It would be nice if we got a few more games like that these days rather than all of the twin stick shooters that can trace their lineage back to Robotron.

• Like 1

Earlier today, I finally remembered that discussion from waaaaaaaaay back in this thread in which we debated whether or not we could figure out, from the final product's copyright notices, which of the CV FB's titles had to be licensed and which were apparently owned entirely by Coleco Holdings LLC. To check this out, I took a look at Flojomojo's pictures of the CV FB manual. I found that no copyright notices for any of the original third-party games were in the manual (they're not on the box, either). All the homebrew games do have copyright notes next to their titles in the manual, but as far as the games from 30 years ago go, there are lots of "" marks (including an amusing positioning in "Super Cross Force") but no copyright notices. Thus, I'm not sure what to make of what licensing actually went on behind the scenes for the CV FB. Surely this doesn't mean that Coleco Holdings LLC actually owns all of the non-homebrew copyrights?

Is this ugly-ass Pac-Man plug-n-play new? $24.99.

No, those were originally released in 2012 (at that same price). Jakks Pacific's Namco license had ended, and Bandai America decided to pick up the baton with their own release, though they took the odd route of only including titles which had already appeared in Jakks' releases. Bandai claims that the system "runs the original code," which sounds like it means it's emulation-based, but I was never able to confirm that for certain (parts of some games' UI are not where they were in the original games--but that kind of thing could be done via either porting or emulation). Anyway, there's a thread for it over in Dedicated Systems.

onmode-ky

P.S. I'm a fan of K-On! (though not quite enough to own Sega's rhythm game for it), so I rather like tremoloman2006's current avatar.

• Like 1

Earlier today, I finally remembered that discussion from waaaaaaaaay back in this thread in which we debated whether or not we could figure out, from the final product's copyright notices, which of the CV FB's titles had to be licensed and which were apparently owned entirely by Coleco Holdings LLC. To check this out, I took a look at Flojomojo's pictures of the CV FB manual. I found that no copyright notices for any of the original third-party games were in the manual (they're not on the box, either). All the homebrew games do have copyright notes next to their titles in the manual, but as far as the games from 30 years ago go, there are lots of "" marks (including an amusing positioning in "Super Cross Force") but no copyright notices. Thus, I'm not sure what to make of what licensing actually went on behind the scenes for the CV FB. Surely this doesn't mean that Coleco Holdings LLC actually owns all of the non-homebrew copyrights?

That doesn't mean much. When I wrote the game descriptions, I didn't include any copyright notices in the manual. There is a somewhat random element to them in other places, as is the norm with AtGames.

Yeah, obviously Robotron and Berserk/Frenzy are completely different from each other. Although I readily acknowledge Robotron's status, I personally prefer the more deliberate action of Berserk/Frenzy. It would be nice if we got a few more games like that these days rather than all of the twin stick shooters that can trace their lineage back to Robotron.

That twin stick bit was really a joke. FPS games are no more related to Robotron, then well...

I'll admit there is one striking similarity. One stick controls the direction of your shot; the other stick controls the direction of your movement. :P

My source told me they should be in Friday but may take a bit to get on shelves. Just FYI.

What area of the country are you in? I'm pretty sure people closer to distribution centers such as the west coast or up north will get them sooner. Honeslty, they couldn't have botched up the special edition launches worse than they already have.

Good news if I absolutely have to fight the black friday crowds, I'll be the only one going into the store with one item in mind.

What area of the country are you in? I'm pretty sure people closer to distribution centers such as the west coast or up north will get them sooner. Honeslty, they couldn't have botched up the special edition launches worse than they already have.

Good news if I absolutely have to fight the black friday crowds, I'll be the only one going into the store with one item in mind.

I'm in central IL. Small town. Don't know how many they're getting or how much they'll be in demand. May have some extras. I'll have to see when they put them out. They didn't know when they would be out.

Question for those who have this unit...

Do the CV flashback controllers work in an original Atari 2600?

Strange question, I know. But I have 2600 adapter for my Wii with the ColecoVision Emulator. If the controller works on the 2600, then it should work on through the adapter. I'm not expecting the keypad to function, but the basic joystick and at least one fire button would be nice.

Edited by nox

Question for those who have this unit...

Do the CV flashback controllers work in an original Atari 2600?

Strange question, I know. But I have 2600 adapter for my Wii with the ColecoVision Emulator. If the controller works on the 2600, then it should work on through the adapter. I'm not expecting the keypad to function, but the basic joystick and at least one fire button would be nice.

No, the CV Flashback controllers are only compatible with the CV Flashback. If you get separate wired Atari Flashback joysticks or paddles, those are compatible with the classic ports.

Still $39.99 at Bed Bath 7 beyond with $7.99 shipping (or free if you spend over $49). http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/colecovision-flashback-classic-game-console/1042999812

Something tells me TRU upped the price so they could claim a heavier discount percentage next month with Black Friday sales approaching. Call me skeptical. :)

• Like 2

I was at the Walmart by work today and they had all four consoles on an end cap in the video game department. Price was $39.99 each. I had picked up the Coleco and Intellivision consoles at Toys R Us previously. I picked up the Atari one today. The deciding factor was that it was a variant model that had wired controllers. I read some less than positive reviews about the wireless ones so I had been holding off on buying the Atari.