IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Mr. Do!, Frenzy, Q*Bert, Gorf, Venture, Carnival, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Smurf Rescue, Q*Bert's Qubes, Pitfall, Time Pilot, Zaxxon, Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, BurgerTime, Galaxian, Frogger, Mr. Do's Castle, Pitfall II, Time Pilot, Antarctic Adventure, Cosmic Avenger, River Raid, Jumpman Jr., Pepper II, Defender, Dragonfire, Jungle Hunt, Miner 2049er, Tutankham, War Games, Mario Bros. (HB), Galaga (HB)

Here are the ones that will never ever appear even under the most optimistic scenarios: Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Smurf Rescue, War Games, Mario Bros. That still leaves lots of cool ones left to license.

• Like 1

Mr. Do!, Frenzy, Q*Bert, Gorf, Venture, Carnival, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Smurf Rescue, Q*Bert's Qubes, Pitfall, Time Pilot, Zaxxon, Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, BurgerTime, Galaxian, Frogger, Mr. Do's Castle, Pitfall II, Time Pilot, Antarctic Adventure, Cosmic Avenger, River Raid, Jumpman Jr., Pepper II, Defender, Dragonfire, Jungle Hunt, Miner 2049er, Tutankham, War Games, Mario Bros. (HB), Galaga (HB)

Well, about eight or nine of those ARE included, so we're a quarter of the way there!
  • Like 1

They shouldn't lose any going forward, but you never know. It's happened on the Atari side.

Again, these are my absolutely essential games for the ColecoVision Flashback 2 that helped define its namesake back from 1982-1984, anything else would be a bonus, hopefully it's easy licensing most of them, even IF they have to lose certain games like homebrews, etc...

Burgertime (Data East)

Carnival (Sega)

Congo Bongo (Sega)

Front Line (Taito)

Gorf (Midway)

Lady Bug (Universal)

Looping (Venture Line, Inc.)

Mouse Trap (Exidy)

Mr. Do! (Universal)

Roc 'n Rope (Konami)

Turbo (Sega)

Root Beer Tapper (Midway)

Slither (Century II)

Spy Hunter (Midway)

SubRoc (Sega)

Victory (Exidy)

Here are the ones that will never ever appear even under the most optimistic scenarios: Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Smurf Rescue, War Games, Mario Bros. That still leaves lots of cool ones left to license.

So I know why the Nintendo games will never be included, but why do you say that about the Smurf game and War Games? I honestly don't know, just curious. :)

• Like 1

Again, these are my absolutely essential games for the ColecoVision Flashback 2 that helped define its namesake back from 1982-1984, anything else would be a bonus, hopefully it's easy licensing most of them, even IF they have to lose certain games like homebrews, etc...

Burgertime (Data East)

Carnival (Sega)

Congo Bongo (Sega)

Front Line (Taito)

Gorf (Midway)

Lady Bug (Universal)

Looping (Venture Line, Inc.)

Mouse Trap (Exidy)

Mr. Do! (Universal)

Roc 'n Rope (Konami)

Turbo (Sega)

Root Beer Tapper (Midway)

Slither (Century II)

Spy Hunter (Midway)

SubRoc (Sega)

Victory (Exidy)

Frenzy, Q*Bert, and Venture are games I wouldn't choose to skip under any circumstances.

Frenzy, Q*Bert, and Venture are games I wouldn't choose to skip under any circumstances.

Well, this ColecoVision Flashback already has Frenzy and Venture, then Q*bert is now owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment through Gottlieb's Columbia Pictures association along with Hasbro who bought out Parker Brothers via Tonka in 1991, so good luck to AtGames on somehow acquiring the rights for that one, IF it costs us any of those other games from my list, I say no way!

Edited by TrekkiELO

Well, this ColecoVision Flashback already has Frenzy and Venture, then Q*bert is now owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment through Gottlieb's Columbia Pictures association along with Hasbro who bought out Parker Brothers via Tonka in 1991, so good luck to AtGames on somehow acquiring the rights for that one, IF it costs us any of those other games from my list, I say no way!

I actually just did a podcast tonight, the new episode of the SNES Podcast with my co-host Chad and special guest host Ferg where we covered Q-Bert 3, a 1992 release by Realtime Associates (formed by former Blue Sky Rangers) that plays very much like the original arcade game. In it I talk about the history of Q-Bert and my research on the rights and the complications with it and all that. Fair warning, it's messy. :P

• Like 1

I actually just did a podcast tonight, the new episode of the SNES Podcast with my co-host Chad and special guest host Ferg where we covered Q-Bert 3, a 1992 release by Realtime Associates (formed by former Blue Sky Rangers) that plays very much like the original arcade game. In it I talk about the history of Q-Bert and my research on the rights and the complications with it and all that. Fair warning, it's messy. :P

Indeed, thanks for confirming what I'd just said!

:cool:

Toys-R-Us can shove it IMO. They overcharge for a lot of stuff. Amiibos go for a dollar over retail. I bought my Luigi and DK over there before Christmas but sadly either my location did not know about the BOGO 40% sale or it was online only. I could have saved a couple bucks but I did not know about it either or I would have asked... :P

• Like 1

TRU was my favorite store in the 1980s, but they've changed...they seem almost predatory. I bought my flashback there ($39), then when demand became apparent, they raised the price... not a fair way to do business, in my opinion.

They've also eliminated the variety they used to have, and have "house-branded" lots of stuff. So many of the toys all look the same to me now. It's probably reflective of the industry, though.

Edited by fiddlepaddle
  • Like 1

I'm not aware of them making extra overlays. They were considering making them available at one point, but it never got beyond that.

Thanks Bill for the info. I emailed AtGames and they said they where working on them and they would be available in 2015 is why I ask. Is anyone making them? Just curious.

Edited by thegamezmaster
  • Like 2

Thanks Bill for the info. I emailed AtGames and they said they where working on them and they would be available in 2015 is why I ask. Is anyone making them? Just curious.

AtGames still has to solve the controller issue in my opinion, since the slots with their controller are different than the slots on the classic controller, making the overlays incompatible and making the potential audience much smaller than it should be. I haven't heard anything further about additional overlays. It doesn't mean they won't do them, but I haven't seen that on their radar for 2015.

On the Intellivision side, you have Intellivision Productions obviously heading up the effort independent of AtGames. There's no equivalent on the ColecoVision side.

• Like 3

The Costco version of the INTV FB came with additional exclusive overlays which is just nonsense when they should have included all of them with every FB. I got mine from Dollar General for $20 because it came with the bonus game but really the exclusive marketing just stinks. Either include everything or don't bother.

• Like 1

The Costco version of the INTV FB came with additional exclusive overlays which is just nonsense when they should have included all of them with every FB. I got mine from Dollar General for $20 because it came with the bonus game but really the exclusive marketing just stinks. Either include everything or don't bother.

It's just business. While this is not a justification in and of itself, if that's what a retailer wants to get it on their shelves, then that's what you do because you have to.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

I understand that from a business perspective but from a consumer perspective most people who can only obtain the regular version at retail are paying more for less and essentially getting cheated out of the extra games/overlays. Like I said, I got mine for HALF the cost of other retailers with a bonus game. I wouldn't pay $40 for the 60 game FB.

Edited by Tron Unit
  • Like 1

I understand that from a business perspective but from a consumer perspective most people who can only obtain the regular version at retail are paying more for less and essentially getting cheated out of the extra games/overlays. Like I said, I got mine for HALF the cost of other retailers with a bonus game. I wouldn't pay $40 for the 60 game FB.

Absolutely. While it's unfortunate that the consumer gets screwed to a degree, it's either that or a product like this never sees the light of day.

• Like 1

I emailed AtGames and they said they where working on them and they would be available in 2015 is why I ask.

Two things:

- What was their exact wording? Maybe they just meant that they were thinking about it, not that there was any actual work being done.

- You e-mailed AtGames and actually got a reply? That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone (Bill L. notwithstanding) getting a response. Did you bribe them with bacon or something?

As far as what I've heard, I recall reading way back in this thread that the Coleco Holdings guy told the ColecoVisions Podcast that he wanted to do overlays, but that's all. That was months ago, probably before the Flashbacks' official release.

onmode-ky

• Like 2

AtGames still has to solve the controller issue in my opinion, since the slots with their controller are different than the slots on the classic controller, making the overlays incompatible and making the potential audience much smaller than it should be. I haven't heard anything further about additional overlays. It doesn't mean they won't do them, but I haven't seen that on their radar for 2015.

On the Intellivision side, you have Intellivision Productions obviously heading up the effort independent of AtGames. There's no equivalent on the ColecoVision side.

Two things:

- What was their exact wording? Maybe they just meant that they were thinking about it, not that there was any actual work being done.

- You e-mailed AtGames and actually got a reply? That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone (Bill L. notwithstanding) getting a response. Did you bribe them with bacon or something?

As far as what I've heard, I recall reading way back in this thread that the Coleco Holdings guy told the ColecoVisions Podcast that he wanted to do overlays, but that's all. That was months ago, probably before the Flashbacks' official release.

onmode-ky

I emailed them in Oct.2013 and their email read: We are working on this and should be included in 2015 along with some additional titles. Thats all it said.

• Like 1