IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I wish AtGames could make Sega Saturn and Dreamcast Flashback systems but since those were CD games it would require too much memory. I have the Xbox 360 Dreamcast Collection CD but that only has 4 games! Could have at least included 10 games!

That's not a bad thought. While I would question the name recognition of the Sega Saturn, the Dreamcast has a certain appeal and certainly a decent library of games that are well remembered/known by the general public. Naturally, we shouldn't be thinking in terms of removable media, but certainly beefy onboard storage - even flash memory - is not necessarily cost prohibitive, and would be less so in a few years. Math is not my strong suit, but top of my head, you could probably fit what, about 50 GD-ROM games on a 64GB flash drive? That would be workable to me, a Dreamcast Flashback with 50 built-in games.

• Like 2

Toys'R'Us are also showing the Atari FB 5 with 93 games built-in, including at least one M-Network game, Sea Battle:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35291066

It lookks like the Intellivision FB page has also had an update:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35290526

Edited by ls650

Maybe future versions of the Colecovision flashback can tap into the Sega Sg-1000 games (love Sega Galaga) and the earlier MSX games.

My dream system has to be a Commodore 64 flashback with Sd slot and fully functioning keyboard though. Thats something that I think would sell well and be appreciated by alot of people. It would even make a great cheap computer if a printer port was included.

Maybe future versions of the Colecovision flashback can tap into the Sega Sg-1000 games (love Sega Galaga) and the earlier MSX games.

My dream system has to be a Commodore 64 flashback with Sd slot and fully functioning keyboard though. Thats something that I think would sell well and be appreciated by alot of people. It would even make a great cheap computer if a printer port was included.

Since the SG-1000/SC-3000 had no presence in North America and MSX 1 came and went quickly with nary a whimper here, it's unlikely we'll ever see such a beast from a company like AtGames.

As for the C-64 thing, the modern flash-based devices for the platform are so sophisticated and it's so easy to get modern display connectivity out of the C-64 that it's not that difficult to create your own ultimate version of what you want with the real thing, albeit at a higher cost than something like a TV game device would be. The fact of the matter is, especially with keyboard support, that's just not something that would ever be targeted to the mainstream. While we can point to the DTV as having had it, that was more or less done in a back door/secret manner, something that was quite risky to pull off and could very well have doomed the project completely. It's not necessarily likely such a thing would be able to pulled off again. While not necessarily turn key, you can of course create a variation of the idea via some type of relatively low cost Android device and a good C-64 emulator, which does of course also support a real keyboard.

I have this, one of the best things I've ever invested in:

http://www.1541ultimate.net/

Then all you need is an S-Video cable and your all set. (You can get those even on Ebay)

While not necessarily turn key, you can of course create a variation of the idea via some type of relatively low cost Android device and a good C-64 emulator, which does of course also support a real keyboard.

I might look into a Ouya, at least I think it has keyboard support.

In response to Fast Eddie...

"...My dream system has to be a Commodore 64 flashback with Sd slot and fully functioning keyboard though. That's something that I think would sell well and be appreciated by a lot of people. It would even make a great cheap computer if a printer port was included...".

With the all-in-one chips, low-cost memory, keyboards selling for $5, etc., I can't help but wonder how inexpensive a fully functional (full size) C64 (with SD support) could be produced and sold for these days. I know I'm not mainstream...but I'd certainly would be interested.

StephenJ

For what it's worth, none of the packaging on Toys R Us represents a final version, and there may still be game changes from what is shown. I just saw the latest ColecoVision packaging, and that still needs some work. With that said, without revealing anything, the game mix I saw is really impressive, including some third party titles and other surprises that I thought wouldn't have made it on there because of who I assumed (obviously incorrectly) still owned them. Naturally, some of the obvious ones aren't on there, e.g., Donkey Kong, Smurf, etc., which you just know someone is going to bitch about, but, to my mind, if you're a fan of the platform, there will be little to complain about for this first iteration.

• Like 4

Just been to several Toys R Us stores here in Ontario Canada asking about the CV Flashback. None have the slightest clue as to what I'm asking about even after searching on the U.S websites....NOT surprised. They're just as bad as those Geniuses at Radio Shack/The Source.

Just been to several Toys R Us stores here in Ontario Canada asking about the CV Flashback. None have the slightest clue as to what I'm asking about even after searching on the U.S websites....NOT surprised. They're just as bad as those Geniuses at Radio Shack/The Source.

And why would those Toys R Us employees know anything about obscure products that will only arrive in stores late next fall? Most of them are too young to even know what a ColecoVision is. I'm sure there's no such thing as an internal company newsletter that tells every last Toys R Us employee about all the great toys and video games coming to their glorious stores in the next year or so. They find out about these new products on the day they come out of the delivery truck.

(Well, actually, those who work in the video games and electronics department do get memos with release dates for video games on current-gen consoles, but that's about it.)

• Like 1

The thing is if one is working at a chain of stores that is selling a product one should have at least a friggin heads up on the products sold, REGARDLESS of the other regions being sold to 1st. Giving a potential customer a shrug of the shoulders or " i dunno " doesn't cut it in my eyes, as a consumer

And why would those Toys R Us employees know anything about obscure products that will only arrive in stores late next fall? Most of them are too young to even know what a ColecoVision is. I'm sure there's no such thing as an internal company newsletter that tells every last Toys R Us employee about all the great toys and video games coming to their glorious stores in the next year or so. They find out about these new products on the day they come out of the delivery truck.

(Well, actually, those who work in the video games and electronics department do get memos with release dates for video games on current-gen consoles, but that's about it.)

I fail to see the point of why would employees know of a product that was conceived 30+ years ago. The ColecoVision flashback is a NEW product being sold, built in 2013-14. Being too young is no excuse for not knowing what your stores are selling. And if a customer comes in inquiring about products the store itself is selling elsewhere, at another one of the chains, in the states or whatever one would expect a better answer than I DUNNO or shrugging their shoulders at you. At least ask the damn manager and not leave customers just standing there with no answer, just common courtesy.

Edited by Rik

TRU employees are not going to know about a product they may carry months from now. That's not their job. The TRU buyers ought to know, but they work out of Wayne, NJ.

When the product is sold on the TRU stores OWN website in this case the .com site, YES THEY SHOULD know. The CV flashback is advertised on the Toys R Us .com site, and taking pre-orders. It doesn't take much effort for them to check on the store PC's and see what i'm talking about isn't it? i think not. They just don't bother to look and say excuse me and go on their break. When a customer comes in looking for something you try and help them and give them answers, not much to ask. I'm saying these guys just say i dunno or shrug their shoulders. What is their job then? just standing at the cashier and ring in your purchase. If that's all they're good for might as well wait for the damn thing to show up at a Mom And POP.

Edited by Rik

Toys R Us carries many thousands of different items, and this is an item announced only a few days ago on the American web site.

The average employee is some young kid working part time while going to school.

Asking him/her about a product that won't be available for months is a little bit like walking into a McDonald's and asking the kid flipping burgers if he knows when they will bring back the McRib.....

• Like 3

Great analogy, except the McRib will come back when pork prices drop. Think of something from the 1980s that many people don't remember and no kid ever heard of, like that burger with too much styrofoam packaging, the McDLT (look it up, youngsters).

TRU retail staff, including managers, don't earn enough money to be obligated to know ancient toy history.

Toys R Us carries many thousands of different items, and this is an item announced only a few days ago on the American web site.

The average employee is some young kid working part time while going to school.

Asking him/her about a product that won't be available for months is a little bit like walking into a McDonald's and asking the kid flipping burgers if he knows when they will bring back the McRib.....

Thank You!