IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

Congrats Spiceware, once again you have raised the bar for future 2600 homebrews.

First Space Rocks blew us away, now this? You sir, are an amazing programmer. I have to keep reminding myself I am still playing a 2600 and not 7800 or some pseudo-arcade hardware with a TIA soundchip!

Cannot wait to receive the cart edition from AtariAge... :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Thanks! It wouldn't have turned out as well without the help and suggestions by many in the AtariAge community. cd-w was a major help with writing the new CDF driver, as well as a lot of help optimizing the code so I could fit even more in the game such as the Epsilon Quadrant suggested by yourself.

My folks and I have been making our way to Portland since Saturday, with some sight seeing detours during the trip. We'll be arriving in Portland in a few hours.

post-3056-0-85326400-1508349710_thumb.jpeg

post-3056-0-93809700-1508349739_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

This game should be written up as an absolute tour de force in the future annals of classic gaming.

And..

BattleStations!.png

..ended up sounding almost as I had envisioned it.

That means a lot to me and SpiceWare, I'm sure.

Much better samples are possible, but will need a future 64K cart or some kind of additional storage that works with CDF bank-switching.

With each speech sample taking almost 1K, music taking hundreds of bytes, and only a 32K cart size, of which only 28K is really usable program space, it doesn't seem possible.

Also the "first" of 2600 samples during game play and not blanking the screen.

And the technical "first" of 10 register updates per scan line.

Note: Above is from memory and may be a little bit off!

• Like 5

Browsing DP after they closed via the Wayback Machine, I found this:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/mission3000ad.htm

So, Bit Corp. already made a crude clone of Bosconian for the 2600, way back in the 80's.

Here's it's page on AtariAge: http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=1637

Kewl info.
I never would have guessed based on that screenshot.
I like at the end they say "try a less disappointing arcade conversion like Time Pilot or Sinistar".
Sinistar is a prototype! A great achievement, so good I had AtariAge make me a cartridge and got the box from Germany!
Could you even play ROM files on a real 2600 in 2008?

post-29575-0-89727500-1508616812_thumb.jpg

You might have been able to play ROMs on a real 2600 with a SuperCharger.

There was also this: https://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2716

Should have remembered those.

The Supercharger is one of a very few video gaming things I still have from the 80s.

I got a Kroc Cart a few years ago to playtest 64K Zippy the Porcupine. (I couldn't procure an early Harmony Encore.)

I still think there should be a reverse Bosconian where YOU are the boss ;)

attachicon.gifConianBoss.png

attachicon.gifConianBoss.bin

Hard to believe this post is so freakin' old now. Just wanted y'all to know your excellent work here inspired me to make a sega genesis game where you play bases similar to Bosconian and Sinistar. So, not only has this game generated much enjoyment for retro enthusiasts but creativity as well!

post-13304-0-71443100-1509096331.jpg

• Like 4

Hard to believe this post is so freakin' old now. Just wanted y'all to know your excellent work here inspired me to make a sega genesis game where you play bases similar to Bosconian and Sinistar. So, not only has this game generated much enjoyment for retro enthusiasts but creativity as well!

Cool! Link? I'd like to check it out when I get home.

• Like 1

My folks and I made it back to Houston last night. We had a great time on our two week trip to the Grand Canyon, Portland, and Napa Valley. Pretty worn out, so I've spent most of today crashed on the couch watching TV.

There's going to be RC9 later this week as I spotted a color issue at the expo caused by people changing TV-TYPE. I did a quick test using my new Harmony Encore (so I'm now ready for larger games!) and it appears the color init for the objects only occurs for a NEW GAME, so if you change TV-TYPE then use CONTINUE the colors will be wrong. I need to migrate the latest source from my laptop back to the Mac Pro before I can do this, I just finished hooking back up my Mac Pro as I stash the hardware whenever I go out of town, so RC9 will be posted later this week.

And yes, RC9 is correct as there were 2 additional release candidates created during my trip to Portland as Al uncovered an issue with CDF not working correctly on a number of 7800s (custom bankswitch schemes like DPC+ and CDF have 2 startup sequences, one when run from the Harmony menu, the other when flashed direct to the cart - the problem was with the later). Thankfully batari was able to fix the problem.

• Like 9

My folks and I made it back to Houston last night. We had a great time on our two week trip to the Grand Canyon, Portland, and Napa Valley. Pretty worn out, so I've spent most of today crashed on the couch watching TV.

There's going to be RC9 later this week as I spotted a color issue at the expo caused by people changing TV-TYPE. I did a quick test using my new Harmony Encore (so I'm now ready for larger games!) and it appears the color init for the objects only occurs for a NEW GAME, so if you change TV-TYPE then use CONTINUE the colors will be wrong. I need to migrate the latest source from my laptop back to the Mac Pro before I can do this, I just finished hooking back up my Mac Pro as I stash the hardware whenever I go out of town, so RC9 will be posted later this week.

And yes, RC9 is correct as there were 2 additional release candidates created during my trip to Portland as Al uncovered an issue with CDF not working correctly on a number of 7800s (custom bankswitch schemes like DPC+ and CDF have 2 startup sequences, one when run from the Harmony menu, the other when flashed direct to the cart - the problem was with the later). Thankfully batari was able to fix the problem.

Sweeet. So people who bought carts at PRGE might have to send them back to Albert to get reflashed for bugfix? :P

Sweeet. So people who bought carts at PRGE might have to send them back to Albert to get reflashed for bugfix? :P

I took a look and the color init actually does occur if you use CONTINUE. However that's only for new sprites, not existing ones, so the sector you CONTINUE (after changing TV-TYPE) keeps the colors it already has while the next sector will use the updated TV-TYPE colors.

To fix it I'd need to add a "fix it" loop that updates the colors of all existing sprites, which would be easy to do except there's 0 bytes free for ARM code and 3 bytes free for 6507 code. It's a minor enough issue that I'm not going to try to free up ROM to add a "fix it" loop.

• Like 2

@ 48:00 - Edit: hmm, the time selection for playback seems to be inconsistent so you may need to go before/after this time.

https://player.fm/series/retro-junkies-network/podcast-96-pleiads

I just imagine Draconian on a store shelf with an add-on sticker saying, "It talks! *No additional hardware required."

Marketing.

Podcast correction. 2600 RAM. They said a quarter Kilobyte!

It's half a quarter Kilobyte, or 1/8th_K, or 128 Bytes.

• Like 1

I just imagine Draconian on a store shelf with an add-on sticker saying, "It talks! *No additional hardware required."

Marketing.

When I add the game to the store, I should add links to some of the speech so people can hear it. :D

..Al

• Like 5

When I add the game to the store, I should add links to some of the speech so people can hear it. :D

..Al

I heard one YouTube reviewer playing Draconian in Stella just ASSUMING that Stella was emulating the ArariVox+!

A wrong assumption but speech was never done during gameplay before on a 2600 game.

Marketing.

kilobit RAM. Doing more with less wince 1977! :grin:

I heard one YouTube reviewer playing Draconian in Stella just ASSUMING that Stella was emulating the ArariVox+!

A wrong assumption but speech was never done during gameplay before on a 2600 game.

I've not run across that one yet, did you correct them? Have a link?