IGNORED

ColecoVision Arcade Controller by GRIPS03

AtariBuff

Had the first chance to test grips03's ColecoVision Arcade Controller today and boy, this was a fantastic experience. With mounted 8-way gate I thoroughly tested Super Cobra and it's an exceptional feeling - movement is fantastic, firing and throwing bombs was never so much fun.

grips, when you are reading this -> thanks again for a fantastic controller! Handling is so fine and steering objects with the knob just joyful :thumbsup:

Now I'm really looking forward to the Intellivision one :-D :-D :-D

Edited by AtariBuff
  • Like 2

Very nice. How much would one of these cost?

price for the last three will be $200 each + exact shipping. This is $10 less than I usually sell for, as the last three cases are in good vs. great shape.

The controller cases are used, due to SNK no longer making original NeoGeo AES controllers. This means all cases show wear and have light scratches. All are in good working shape and are washed and cleaned.

new parts are:

Custom Colecovision arcade PCB and electronics, see pic below

Seimitsu LB-30 balltop - 30mm

(4) Seimitsu 24mm screw in buttons

internal wiring

~6 foot db9 cord - I also have some recycled Coleco Super Action Controller db9 cord

2 custom stickers

.110 /.187 quick connects - crimped and soldered to wires

Sanwa hard quick connect covers

keypad

internal JST-XH connectors

(4) 3M rubber feet

custom 3d printed 4-way gate (if ordered)

used parts:

case - cut in Bridgeport milling machine to allow for keypad

joystick <-- this is a good thing as these joysticks are awesome!

I replace the microswitches as needed, when building / testing the controller

Joystick is re-lubed with fresh Shin Etsu grease

post-27883-0-06529100-1399660649_thumb.png

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1

The controller cases are used, due to SNK no longer making original NeoGeo AES controllers. This means all cases show wear and have light scratches. All are in good working shape and are washed and cleaned.

Waitaminute, you're using actual SNK Neo Geo controllers? I though you were using those NEOGEOX knock-offs, not actual Neo sticks!

Cutting up Neo Geo controllers is sacrilege! SACRILEGE I SAY!

Seriously, while those may be nice controllers you're making, I can't see the justification of wrecking an actual Neo stick. That's like cuttin' up a classic Porsche and dumping a VW engine in it.

The X sticks can be had for a fraction of what the Neo stick goes for, and nobody is going to miss them...

Just my two cents...

NeoGeoX controllers are no longer available. If you know of a reliable supplier of them let me know.

Controllers are imported from Japan and they have a large supply of them there. Controllers are being used for console gaming, just a different console, so I can't say I agree 100%, but I understand what your saying.

Edited by grips03

NeoGeoX controllers are no longer available. If you know of a reliable supplier of them let me know.

Controllers are imported from Japan and they have a large supply of them there. Controllers are being used for console gaming, just a different console, so I can't say I agree 100%, but I understand what your saying.

http://www.bestsku.com/product-p/695771222302.htm?gclid=COHRnfalor4CFY3m7AodfjsA9A

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/accessories/neogeo-x-arcade-stick/104728?cid=fds_10000001&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=803386&gclid=CO_Oncylor4CFexZ7AodrXwAeQ

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/neo-geo-x-arcade-stick/246539442.html?listingId=258980293&scid=pla_google_VideoGamesNewYork&adid=18167&gclid=CMC0i4imor4CFWcS7Aod62AAZg

They all seem to be in stock as I could add them to my shopping cart on each site. I've only had dealings with gamestop so I'd feel most confident on buying from them. You might even be able to get a discount if you order in bulk if you call them.

Good luck, I like your mod just cringe on using the original Neo stick, that's all. BTW, did you ever think of painting the case before you finish the mod? The original Neo (or X for that matter) lettering kind of takes away from the coolness of the controller.

Just another 2 cents...

BTW, did you ever think of painting the case before you finish the mod? The original Neo (or X for that matter) lettering kind of takes away from the coolness of the controller.

Just another 2 cents...

I wouldn't think painting the NeoGeo controller would be worthwhile since the black finish already matches the CV just fine, but maybe the creation of a sticker that could be placed in the keypad area to cover up the remaining NeoGeo wording could be something worthwhile to look into.

As the controller is being modified to support another console as a controller, I did not see a problem either. Especially as the same could be said with the newer controllers; still modifying a controller to support another console, just a newer controller. If fact I bought one of these modified for the ColecoVision and I preferred having the original NeoGeo controller used as I feel the earlier controllers are more stable and reliable than the controllers made today for the new NeoGeo. I think the way Grips modified it was spot on and I am very glad I purchased it and even happier that it is an original part of gaming history.

Troy

• Like 2

Aww, sacrificing original Neo sticks for this project is a shame. Neo Geo X controllers are still available, as are the many other replicas made for PS2, PS3, and the Wii.

Modding arcade sticks made by MAS would be a much more sensible choice. They used wood panels and buttons exactly like those found in arcade cabs. Add a keypad and some 80's designs and you're set.

• Like 1

I love my Arcade Controller made by Grips, it is hands down The Best Controller I've ever bought/used. It spoiled me as far as CV controllers go and honestly don't see myself going back to regular controllers any time soon.. if ever. I just need a 4-way gate and ill be set all the way around.. I hope to get another one of these controllers soon, just for this purpose.. as well as for 2 players.

A few AES controllers getting repurposed to play on the ColecoVision and other classic systems isn't a bad thing, Im quite sure there's plenty out there and hopefully plenty more of these will be available. If you are serious about gaming and the ColecoVision.. well, this is the only way to roll, imho.

A few AES controllers getting repurposed to play on the ColecoVision and other classic systems isn't a bad thing, Im quite sure there's plenty out there and hopefully plenty more of these will be available. If you are serious about gaming and the ColecoVision.. well, this is the only way to roll, imho.

There are not plenty out there I'm afraid, and that's the problem. Right now I counted 4 on eBay from North American sellers. 4. I don't consider that plenty. Neo Geo collectors and enthusiasts are always looking for the original style sticks which were eventually replaced with the "kidney bean" style controller. That's why I suggested using the X controller instead.

There are not plenty out there I'm afraid, and that's the problem. Right now I counted 4 on eBay from North American sellers. 4. I don't consider that plenty. Neo Geo collectors and enthusiasts are always looking for the original style sticks which were eventually replaced with the "kidney bean" style controller. That's why I suggested using the X controller instead.

Seeing as you have to have deep pockets to collect for the NeoGeo, it shouldn't be very hard for NG collectors to outbid little ole' ColecoVision enthusiasts. :)

• Like 1

I remember somebody making new Neo-Geo arcade controllers not too long ago like the one shown here. Not sure if they still make it as I don't have a Neo Geo and never bought this one.

I asked and Chris does not sell them case only. He has a 3 month backorder list on the normal ones as well.