IGNORED

NTSC cartridges working on PAL?

mäsäxi

On French web site about TI99/4a are instruction how to connect TI with PC Power supply ( http://www.ti99.com/ti994f.htm ). You can use PC power supply for your TI.

I must found nice PC case and buy another CF7+. I plan to put one TI99/4a board in PC case.

I have European TI and lot of modules from USA and I didn't have any problem with graphics or sound.

Now I use F18 and all modules works with no problem.

• Like 1

On French web site about TI99/4a are instruction how to connect TI with PC Power supply ( http://www.ti99.com/ti994f.htm ). You can use PC power supply for your TI.

I must found nice PC case and buy another CF7+. I plan to put one TI99/4a board in PC case.

I have European TI and lot of modules from USA and I didn't have any problem with graphics or sound.

Now I use F18 and all modules works with no problem.

Whoa! I'm going to have to translate that page - very cool! 8)

The important part about our original TI power supply is the -5V rail: the 4116 VDP RAM chips require -5V to be present BEFORE the other voltages (see 4116 data sheet). The transformer's 16V rail supplies input to the positive voltages (+5 and +12), while the 8VAC is regulated to -5V and never swithed off to fulfill this requirement. I am not sure if any generic PSU can do that....

The newer two-wire power supply probably has some built-in sequencing to apply voltages in the right order (smaller caps for a faster rise of -5V before the positives or something similar?).

• Like 2

The important part about our original TI power supply is the -5V rail: the 4116 VDP RAM chips require -5V to be present BEFORE the other voltages (see 4116 data sheet). The transformer's 16V rail supplies input to the positive voltages (+5 and +12), while the 8VAC is regulated to -5V and never swithed off to fulfill this requirement. I am not sure if any generic PSU can do that....

The newer two-wire power supply probably has some built-in sequencing to apply voltages in the right order (smaller caps for a faster rise of -5V before the positives or something similar?).

Hmmm... For quite a few years I had a Rave Expansion box. The console was powered from the PC power supply in the Rave box and everything worked fine. Are you saying that the PC power supply provided the -5 volts before the positive voltages? It just sounds a little unusual, that's all.

Gazoo

Thank you again everybody! I am from Finland, sorry for not pointing that out. My idea was to buy some cheap enough PAL TI-99/4A from some european country, hoping to find one, which has correct power plug too. I am not going to import NTSC machine from the USA. Just NTSC games from USA, as TI games and game lots seem to be cheaper in the US Ebay. If I can get a cheap cartridge lot, it could be still "cheap" enough even after shipping costs and taxes are counted to total.

I think I have some universal power supply which has a selector switch for AC or DC.

But Does the TI-99/4A has suitable port for universal power supply unit´s plug? I have no idea.

I was originally thinking to get PAL TI from european country which uses the same voltage what is used in Finland, but even in that case, power plug may be different, at least in the UK power plug is "wrong" type. I think in the Netherlands there was correct type of power plug and it´s PAL country too. :) I am asking about the universal power supply unit just in case if I end to buy PAL TI with the "wrong" power plug, using universal power supply would save my time, as I could start using TI without needing to modify power plug to finnish type.

Also, don't forget that the electrons in the USA and UK power supplies spin in opposite directions. This is a real problem for games like Parsec, because the landscape scrolls in the wrong direction. Also, Alpiner is just not as good having to climb *down* the mountain.

Oh! Thank you for pointing that to me!!! I didn´t knew that!!!!! I always thought that only happens on the southern side of the equator... ;)

You guys have given so much good answers to me, so I am not sure, if I have answered everything now. :D