Tursi

VGM Compression Tool

Ported the ol' Blinkenlights viz from back when I was wrapping up the first tool... actually less a port than a rewrite so I could run it on both TI and Coleco. I didn't test that it properly manages dual chip tunes but it's coded to...

Just the piano left to go, then I'll build the chaining tool.

https://open.lbry.com/@tursilion:1/vgmcompblinky:f?r=9pDgdsqTMZDnDuNaQFPxMF43B9C3ZoZp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And the Piano viz is in there now, so with that I have released the new version. In addition to the many changes to the Quickplayer, I've also added a binary compress mode to vgmcomp2, so that you can use the decoder as a decompressor as well. The packing is not as good as real lzh style compression (particularly since it can't do RLE as efficiently as it assumes no access to the unpacked data), but it's often good enough and in fact I used it to make the Chuck visualizer's graphics fit in 8k. The documentation has been updated and covers how to use it and how to call the unpacker, but you basically just use vgmcomp2 -pack <filein> <fileout> to pack it, and call getCompressedByte() over and over to unpack it.

The quickplayer comes as both a GUI version (just select the desired viz from a dropdown) and a command-line version, with the latter being intended to be easy to port to other systems. They both output the same code and all five visualizers run on both TI and ColecoVision. Only two of them support the secondary chips, though... for the most part I don't expect too many people to use them since the overhead is pretty tall.

image.thumb.png.8963255ec52838a3d7e29634f7898475.png

Commandline is even simpler, just: quickplayercmd -ti -viz piano -sn splash.sbf d:\classic99\dsk1\SPLASH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the guise of recent work, I was also inspired by confusion between VGMComp and ROM Playlists...

So there is now also a psg2playlist exporter and playlist2psg importer. Mostly good for curiousity, I think, but it was fun to play with @Asmusr's sound list ripper. ;)

That's on top of the Extended BASIC sample player routine I added but never mentioned here. ;)

Everything was updated: https://github.com/tursilion/vgmcomp2/blob/master/readme.md

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Tursi, exciting tools you make, 😂 I have now run out of excuses why my game idea can´t be made by me. 

• Like 1