IGNORED

Back in the 5200 groove

PacManPlus

Hi Guys!

I recently acquired a 5200 again and installed the Electronic Sentimentalities Video upgrade. I also painted it maroon because it was in bad shape. I still need to get some controllers working, but I'll cross that bridge at a later date.

However, I need the 5200 aluminum strip that goes across the front of it (as the one that was there was scratched / dented / younameit).

Does anyone have one that isn't too expensive?

(Pictures will come once it is completed) :)

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Hey Bob - I don't have that piece for you, but I just wanted to let you know that Arkanoid would play great on this system, and to my knowledge, there isn't really a good version of that game on any of the Atari consoles. Perhaps you can do something about that someday.

• Like 2

I have a broken 5200 in decent cosmetic shape. Is there a way to get those strips off without mangling them in the process? I tried removing the strip from a 7800 once, but since they are held on with an adhesive it ended up looking pretty bad by the time I got it off.

A hairdryer or better yet a heat gun might get it soft enough to get it off with it bending. Then you can use Goo Gone to take the glue off.

I might have an extra one as well.

Allan

Bob-I picked up a 4 port 5200 at a retro game shop near Concord NH last year. As expected, the controllers were shot, so I bought two from Best Electronics and got the Atarimax SD multicart. It has been great to have all of the recently converted games. Be cool to see your maroon 5200 when you have it all fixed up!

• Like 1

Thanks, Guys - But I'd rather not take the chance of taking one off another unit because it's *very* difficult (at lease for me) :(

Bob

Bob, I'm not sure if those can be removed from the 5200/7800 without destroying them. Maybe with a heat gun and a spatula! Regardless, glad to have you back on the 5200.

• Like 1

Thanks, ckirkman - ordered!

One console strip, Two joystick strips, two joystick flex circuits. :)

Thanks guys!

Nice. Make sure you post a picture when it is all done :)

How much does Best get for a flex circuit? Last time I purchased a few from an ebay seller I think it was about $6 each.

• Like 1

Nice. Make sure you post a picture when it is all done :)

How much does Best get for a flex circuit? Last time I purchased a few from an ebay seller I think it was about $6 each.

Was that recently? I've noticed in the past couple of of months a store on eBay that sells Flex circuits and other 5200 joystick replacement parts. They claimed the Flex circuits were new and I don't mean NOS either.

Hi guys!

Got everything in. To answer questions:

Aluminum joystick badge - $3.50 each

Aluminum 5200 top case console strip - $15

The Rev. 9 Flex Gold Circuits - $13.50 each. (I was surprised by this, as I didn't look on their site for how much they were)

I'll have pictures up this weekend.

There was a note at the bottom of my invoice:

"Robert, after 30+ years of selling them, you got our very last 5200 top case silver label!"

Wow - I feel bad about taking the last one. :(

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Hi guys!

The Rev. 9 Flex Gold Circuits - $13.50 each. (I was surprised by this, as I didn't look on their site for how much they were)

"Robert, after 30+ years of selling them, you got our very last 5200 top case silver label!"

Wow. So no more silver case labels...

I see the rev-9 flex circuits on ebay for $9 free shipping. Last time I got them they were $6 but you paid for shipping.

It was better at $6 cause you could get 5 and pay the same shipping rate as 1 because they come in a stack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rev-9-Mylar-Flex-Circuit-for-Atari-5200-Joystick-Controllers-OEM-CX52-/371057467253?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item5664bf9f75

Let us see your 5200 when it is done! :)

Edited by Official Ninja

Hi guys!

I couldn't think of a better person to get the last one. :)

Allan

Wow. So no more silver case labels...

I see the rev-9 flex circuits on ebay for $9 free shipping. Last time I got them they were $6 but you paid for shipping.

It was better at $6 cause you could get 5 and pay the same shipping rate as 1 because they come in a stack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rev-9-Mylar-Flex-Circuit-for-Atari-5200-Joystick-Controllers-OEM-CX52-/371057467253?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item5664bf9f75

Let us see your 5200 when it is done! :)

Is the Rev-9 the best ones? Not counting the Gold Kits from Best Electronics. I think that's the same vendor on ePay I was referring to in my previous post.

Hi guys!

The last one until they find a ton more in all of those unopened pallets they claim they have, Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse style. They'll probably find a bunch of 7800 ProLine Joystick Couplers in one of those pallets that Atari Inc forgot that they manufactured, and maybe some 1450XLDs. And complete AMY chips.

But Bob, do you have a pic of your 5200 Paint Job yet? Do you use primer first? I'm not willing to paint my 5200 but I want to paint my original 7800 - not my "Wife Modded" one in my profile pic - like one of your many custom jobs. Consider it an homage!

I do need a 3D Print job of a replacement 7800 case for the previously mentioned "Wife Modded" model.