IGNORED

Practical Uses for your old TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

One of the million "back burner" ideas rattling around in my head is for a series of YouTube videos of someone doing non-gaming computer applications -- keeping their books, monitoring a diet plan, household inventory, etc -- with a TI 99/4A, 1981-style, for a period of time. It'd be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. I can't picture too many scenarios where application software would be practical -- the idea of typing an entire novel into a 40-column screen-shifting word processor gives me a mild panic attack now.

• Like 1

Back in the day we used what we had. Now we have better computers in a lot of areas. Heck, we all wished back in the day that the 99/4A had more colors, more pixels, better sound, more RAM, etc. Even today it is what everyone talks about with the new hardware projects and such. Basically what a modern computer has provided. But there are still some things that get lost with the modern systems.

I don't code on the real 99/4A any more, it is much easier on a PC. Same with what InfernalKeith said about word processing. But for tinkering, some quick programming for fun, playing a twitch game, etc. old computers can't be beat.

• Like 1

... the idea of typing an entire novel into a 40-column screen-shifting word processor gives me a mild panic attack now.

Me too - but you know something, in 80 column mode, Funnelweb would probably do me just fine. I think I could write a book with it no problem.

Well my TI99/4A hardware consisted of:

Black & Silver TI99/4A with Turbo/Normal switch, Interrupt Switch and Reset button.

SCSI Controller card with latest EPROM including CUT Directory. And I had 3 Barracuda SCSI 5Gig hard drives. (Yea I know mostly unused space)

Myarc QDDS Floppy controller card or Corcomp Floppy Controller card with 4 3.5 disk drives

RS232 card

PGRAM card with a Bud Mills mode GRAM write protect switch on back. So I could load GPL Object code into GRAM

SAMS 1Meg card

Horizon 4000 RAMDISK card with some custom modes that Bud Mills put on card for me. Like a write protect on DSR

TIM CARD using the 9958 and running 80 column Funnel Web for writing source code.

Most of this hardware is now dead, TIM card died, Horizon burned up, PGRAMs performance is glitchy, and the custom built by me TI99/4A console died.

So now I use Classic99 and want to make a MESS version of my old system that I had in hardware. 80 Colunm card is the one I miss the most.

Edited by RXB

One of the million "back burner" ideas rattling around in my head is for a series of YouTube videos of someone doing non-gaming computer applications -- keeping their books, monitoring a diet plan, household inventory, etc -- with a TI 99/4A, 1981-style, for a period of time. It'd be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. I can't picture too many scenarios where application software would be practical -- the idea of typing an entire novel into a 40-column screen-shifting word processor gives me a mild panic attack now.

A few years ago I experimented with using Multiplan to keep track of my home finances, and it was just too cumbersome and limited particularly in 40 columns (this predated the F18A), but nonetheless very doable in a pinch. My biggest fear however was hardware failure on such aging equipment and loss of important data, so I broke down and shifted to Quicken :)

A few years ago I experimented with using Multiplan to keep track of my home finances, and it was just too cumbersome and limited particularly in 40 columns (this predated the F18A)

Is there a 80 column version for the f18a?

And while I'm on the subject of multiplan, is there a copy that doesn't require the cartridge?

Edited by hloberg

... I refuse to get a cassette recorder.

:lol: The first means I had for saving on the TI was a cassette player. That was the mid-90's after having been 'back' in to the TI for about a year, so I was pretty grateful to have something. But, I can understand your point - I'm not sure I could go back to cassette only.

Yeah, my TI cassette days were in the late 80's. It was fun to mess around with when I was a kid.

Even for music when cassettes were out, I preferred vinyl. I could drop the needle anywhere, and start playing what I want, instead of screwing around with [>>] and [<<].

• Like 1