IGNORED

What are the NES classic arcade ports?

I'm curious to know which classic arcade games made their way to the NES. In particular, I'm interested in anything that hit the arcades in 1988 or earlier.

So far I've come up with this:

Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble, Part 2
Bump 'n' Jump
Contra
Dig Dug
Dig Dug II: Trouble in Paradise
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Double Dragon
Elevator Action
Galaga: Demons of Death
Galaxian
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Gradius
Ikari Warriors
Jackal
Joust
Mappy-Land
Marble Madness
Millipede
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac-Man
Paperboy
Paperboy 2
Popeye
Punch-Out!!
Section Z
Super C
Q*Bert
Qix
Rampage
Rod Land
Rush'n Attack
Rygar
Spy Hunter
Ultimate Frogger Champion
Vindicators

• Like 3

Kickle Cubicle / Meikyūjima

Ikari 2 / Victory Road

Ikari 3 / The Rescue

Rainbow Islands

Gradius 2

Life Force / Salamander

Bubble Bobble 2 was an NES original, unless you mean Rainbow Islands by that.

Edited by Rex Dart

Is Mappy a Famicom exclusive?

Bump 'n' Jump isn't really a port but rather is a sequel.

And if you're including contemporary arcade ports rather than arcade games from before 1985 or so, don't forget about Roadblasters.

Dig Dug and Galaxian never came out on the American NES, they are famicom only.

Thanks I assume to Nintendo's strict publishing rules that limited the number of releases you could put each year and I believe also prevented a publisher from releasing content that was available on the competition.

Edited by Atariboy

So much stuff, much of it more playable than the VCS ports. Too many to name, actually. Off the top of my head:

NES:

The Original Mario Bros

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

DK3

Popeye

Galaga

Pacman

MS Pacman Tengen

MS Pacman Namco

Joust

Qbert

TMNT II: The Arcade Game

Famicom Exclusives:

DigDug

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Pooyan

PacLand

Parodius...

EDIT: Crap, most of my list ws already listed :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Are there gameplay differences in these?

Yes.

Nope, same game

Wrong.

There exists a licensed gray, unlicensed black Tengen version of Pacman, and a gray licensed Namco version of Pacman. Those are identical save for the title screens, so unless you're collection variants, there is no reason to buy all three Pacman versions.

Ms Pacman, however, come in two very different flavors.

Video reviews of both games:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8a6q_review-ms-pac-man-nes-tengen_videogames

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11yuci_review-ms-pac-man-nes-namco_videogames

Both are good games. Tengen Ms Pacman (black cart, 1989) plays slightly faster and has full scale vertically scrolling mazes. There are more options including alternate mazes, pac boost, and two player simultaneous modes. Namco version (gray cart, 1993) is more sluggish like the original Pacman and is actually a rerelease of the much earlier released Famicom version. There are also two very different Tetrises released by Tengen and Nintendo as well. Tengen Tetris is highly collectable due to it's colorful copyright history and like Ms Pacman, it has many more options as well, including coop mode Tetris...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Might also be too late but it is an arcade port. POW: Prisoner of War. Technically wouldn't Tengen Tetris count too?

Hey, it's never too late. I'd say Tengen's Tetris counts.

This is really interesting to me for two reasons: 1) I missed out on the NES phenomenon the first time around since I had shifted to computers from consoles when it was released in North America and 2) I'm obsessed with early 80s arcade games.

I'm finding that -- for the most part -- the NES has some really great ports from the arcade machines of the early to mid-80s (and more ports than I thought there were). Of course, there are a few cases where they took a few too many liberties (like Gyruss). But there are other ones that are spot-on (like Donkey Kong Jr, Galaga, Popeye, and Star Force).

As a result, this kind of changes my perception of the NES and tells me that there's more variety of game-play on that platform than I previously thought.

Yes.

Wrong.

There exists a licensed gray, unlicensed black Tengen version of Pacman, and a gray licensed Namco version of Pacman. Those are identical save for the title screens, so unless you're collection variants, there is no reason to buy all three Pacman versions.

Ms Pacman, however, come in two very different flavors.

Video reviews of both games:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8a6q_review-ms-pac-man-nes-tengen_videogames

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11yuci_review-ms-pac-man-nes-namco_videogames

Both are good games. Tengen Ms Pacman (black cart, 1989) plays slightly faster and has full scale vertically scrolling mazes. There are more options including alternate mazes, pac boost, and two player simultaneous modes. Namco version (gray cart, 1993) is more sluggish like the original Pacman and is actually a rerelease of the much earlier released Famicom version. There are also two very different Tetrises released by Tengen and Nintendo as well. Tengen Tetris is highly collectable due to it's colorful copyright history and like Ms Pacman, it has many more options as well, including coop mode Tetris...

Oh! I was clearly not aware of differences in Ms Pacman

i guess I will have to check this out!

Thanks for the details! :thumbsup: