IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question,

I went ahead and bought a Min Dong Switching Arcade power supply off of eBay. The AC terminals are labeled AC 1 and AC 2. I googled it online but can't seem to find an answer. Which one is the Neutral and which one is the live? I know I got a 50% chance of guessing right. :)

Thanks.

if you use a standard 2 wire cord then it doesn't matter which AC terminal you connect to. I don't suggest this way because your not grounded.

if you use a 3 wire cord then run the green neutral wire to the case or the FG terminal then the black and white to the ac terminals.

Edited by mightywiz

if you use a standard 2 wire cord then it doesn't matter which AC terminal you connect to. I don't suggest this way because your not grounded.

if you use a 3 wire cord then run the green neutral wire to the case or the FG terminal then the black and white to the ac terminals.

Yes I plan on using a 3 wire. However since the Power supply's terminals are labeled AC 1 And AC 2, it doesn't indicate which one is the Neutral terminal and which one is the Live terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just bought an Adam computer from US, and it arrived yesterday.

It's a great machine, but I have no way of trying it since I do not have the printer. So I want to build a power supply from an ATX I have.

I will use a 7905 to convert the -12 to -5v but I do really also want to add a filter to this so I bought this kit for the 7805 but want to use the 7905 instead.

So does anybody here know what I have to do, just turn the capacitor and the other component 180 degrees? (since it now negative voltage).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131369840096?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Did anybody try to replace the RAM in Adam similar to the RAM replacement you can do to Colecovision, and then you would not need the -5v at all, or are there any other component in the Adam that requires -5v?

Amazing. Just an amazing product. Thank you so much for the power supply. Please everyone bombard him with orders. The quality is just amazing. I can't say enough.

I have waited years for something to bring my dead Adam back to life. He is a godsend. Please everyone give him your business.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, I got my Coleco Adam power supply by rey_1178 and I can honestly tell everyone it was one of the best purchases I have made in a long time!

I have two Coleco Adam's (one complete in the box) and I am always worried about the printer as so many things can go wrong to stop me from enjoying it. I am sure I am not the only one that thinks that.

I have had it now for two days and I have had it running non stop just to test it and there have been no issues at all.

Here are my thoughts on it so far:

Positives:

1. Boot up time - It’s a bit faster now that it does not wait on the printer

2. Small foot print - Check out my pictures, it’s a no brainier in this dept. It case easily be tucked away so you don't see it. (However...)

3. Professional looking - From the case to the wiring to the label, it’s all done very well. So nice in fact, I have it displayed with my Adam.

4. Light - The power supply comes with a LED light so you know it's on when the TV/Monitor is off.

5. Well built - The case of the power supply is of sturdy plastic, with hold drilled out to provide are, nothing is lose, no rough edges.

6. Its new - The printer is 30+ years old, it's nice to have, in my perception, the weakest link replaced with a new product.

7. Plenty of cord – I think there is a good balance of cord here. Everyone’s mileage will vary depending on how far you want it, for me though, the power and video cables were a good length and were rugged for day to day use.

8. Great communication – While not part of the “product”, it’s just as import to me. rey_1178 was great at letting me know what was going on, when it was done, and when it shipped. He even sent me a message on the day it was delivered telling me so!

Things to be worked on for the future:

1. Black Case – The case is nice looking, don’t get me wrong, however, a color that is closer to the Adam case would be better.
  2. It’s a little loud – You know when it’s on as you can hear the fan run. It never stops so unless you tuck it away somewhere far, you will probably hear it.
  3. Case size – Again, it’s so much smaller than the printer, however, it would be nice if it was smaller.
  4. No more printing – I think this is a given to everyone here, but I thought I would say it anyways. I never printed anything anyways. No biggie at all.

Those are not complaints at all, just things people should know, if anything, if there is ever a 2.0 power supply, those are the only things I can really say that would make a great power supply even better.

To sum it up, for the price, if you have a Coleco Adam, you need to buy it if rey_1178 decides to take orders again (I think he has put them on hold after he gets the current orders placed).

Money well spent!

post-33368-0-29777100-1424523138_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-85399300-1424523139_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-57481600-1424523141_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-10229100-1424523143_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-83165400-1424523144_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-72847400-1424523146_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-24103800-1424523148_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-63120000-1424523149_thumb.jpg

Edited by craigm71
  • Like 3