IGNORED

I started off questioning why World Tour Racing is such garbage...

Clint Thompson

Just my opinions....

1. World Tour Racing - Favorite Jag racer as the wheel to wheel racing itself is good in my opinion. But the two player split screen does have a low FPS. I have a different thread here in which I posted videos of WTR and the racing can be very competitive. But the criticisms of the game are not unfounded as the game has a framerate that can be atrocious at times and the overall framerate is too low unless you edit the tracks and rid them of most of the objects ;) The control is OK, as there is a ghostly "assist" to help aid you in getting your car around the track and that can be strange at first. You will get used to it after a while though.

2. Atari Karts - I really like Atari Karts for the Jag, but it suffers from that "generic" feeling as it does not have the same pop and flare as Mario Kart or even some of the other "kart" clones. But again, for the Jag, it's a good game.

3. Val D'Isere - Again, not a great game, but a good game in my opinion. I played this game quite a bit when it was released and I still enjoy it now and then. The action is smooth and the graphics are colorful. Free Ride is cool and the game can be quite hard to master. There is fun to be had if you do not expect too much. But as time goes on, I am sure the opinions of this game have changed and probably not for the better.

4. Super Burnout - Don't get me started! I think this game sums up what could have been for the Jag as far as racing goes. Graphics and control are front and center and yes, it really is that good. Now, I prefer the wheel to wheel racing of WTR over the racing in Super Burnout, but Super Burnout just has that "it" factor in my opinion. The day-to-night and night-to-day backgrounds along with the large, gorgeous sprites are simply beautiful and a treat to behold. If only there would have been an open wheel racer on this engine.....

Edited by JaguarGod
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I recently learned that a later version of WTR was submitted to Telegames from the programmer but they had already started pressing the earlier version. Does anyone know if Telegames updated and released the newer or later version? Or if the later version exists out there somewhere?

I recently learned that a later version of WTR was submitted to Telegames from the programmer but they had already started pressing the earlier version. Does anyone know if Telegames updated and released the newer or later version? Or if the later version exists out there somewhere?

Who and where did you learn this from?

• Like 1

Who and where did you learn this from?

I read it on the internet, so it must be true! :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177756/the-terrible-tales-of-the-atari-jaguars-checkered-flag-and-fight-for-life

In all seriousness though, this is why I'm asking... to see if it can be confirmed.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true! :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177756/the-terrible-tales-of-the-atari-jaguars-checkered-flag-and-fight-for-life

In all seriousness though, this is why I'm asking... to see if it can be confirmed.

This is interesting. I don't remember Lee Briggs mentioning this. He did say he had another engine he wanted to use but I don't remember him saying he actually submitted it. Anywho he was a member of JSII remember?

Give WTR more of a chance Clint. I think its really a nice racer.

I may have been overly harsh in calling it garbage but it's things like 6 billboards in a row that do it. Unnecessary space filler that has ultimately brought the framerate down to a crawl in most cases but that's just touching the surface.

The game looks nice but just isn't finished or optimized and it shows. It could have easily been one of the better Jaguar games if everything graphically was just toned down a little or as you stated, a better engine. I suppose that's slightly humorous being a racing game ;)

Repetition aside, the music is awful in my opinion but that's completely aside from the gameplay. I can tolerate lousy music, which sounds to have been done by the same crew that did the tunes for FFL.

I didn't realize he was on JS-II but since that forum is all but gone, has he migrated over here?

I am not a big racer fan, but I played WTR on the eJagFest and RR4 (PS1) on the last ABBUC RENO convention - while I have to admit WTR is a better racer than Checkered Flag, it falls very, very short in comparison to RR4 or - FWIW - to Domark's F1 on the 16 bit consoles and computers. I would really have preferred less detail in favour of higher framerate and the "sense of speed" good racers are supposed to provide.

Edited by Thorsten Günther
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a big racer fan, but I played WTR on the eJagFest and RR4 (PS1) on the last ABBUC RENO convention - while I have to admit WTR is a better racer than Checkered Flag, it falls very, very short in comparison to RR4 or - FWIW - to Domark's F1 on the 16 bit consoles and computers. I would really have preferred less detail in favour of higher framerate and the "sense of speed" good racers are supposed to provide.

RRT4 (Ridge Racer Type 4, I presume) vs WTR?

Yeah. Not comparable.