IGNORED

Should I get one?

Cyrus649

I think the Lynx is actually one of the best Atari system considering the quality of the game and the releases with the graphics level.

I think that's a reasonable statement. I forget which thread, but we were discussing something similar in one of the Jaguar threads. I basically stated that the level of Jaguar tech was well beyond what Atari was financially able to support with level-specific development in comparison to the competition on even technically inferior systems. From a technical standpoint, the games (for the most part) on the Lynx shined, particularly in comparison to what was being done on competing systems. It still suffered in specific areas like RPGs in comparison to the competition, but overall it offered a proper experience for its time and technology, i.e., Atari was able to rise to the challenge and was at no particular disadvantage. With the Jaguar, they were clearly over their heads in terms of available resources.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm in 2 minds over this topic.Whilst i was a huge Lynx fan back in the day (had the MK 1 and MK2) and poured hours into Toki, Blue Lightning, Crystal Mines 2, Rampart, APB, Switchblade 2 etc and i take my provervibal hat off to the coin-op conversions done justice on Lynx (Roadblasters and Stun Runner in particular) let alone superb games like Dracula....

I have to counter with harsh fact i can play quality conversions of Roadblasters, APB, Rampart etc these days on a number of systems from PS3 (Rampart on PSN), XBOX (Midway Arcade Treasures collections etc) and fact that games like SOTB, whilst technically superb, are'nt in my humble view, ideally suited to handheld play.

Switchblade 2 is fantastic, but you can pick up on ST/Amiga, Lemmings i always found really needed mouse control.

I'm tempted to say go for a PSP, get EA collection, Afterburner:Black Falcon, Midway arcade Treasures, E.A collection etc and if you want to go the CFW route, put a Lynx emulator on there instead....