IGNORED

Color label variations

DeusVult

Once upon a time I used to keep every single variation of a cart I could find. :woozy: As I grow older with my collection, I have started to relinquish that thought. I only keep significant changes now.

However, I still have kept my color variations. There seem to be only on Atari released text labels. ex: I'll have a red and yellow version of "Slot Racers" and a blue and red "Bowling". Sometimes the only perceivable difference in the carts is the color.

I think it's about time I pick one color over another and move on. Should I leave it up to personal preference? Are some colors more sought after? Can I tell which was was the originally intended color and which one may be a re-release?

Your Thoughts AA.

p.s. please excuse the atrocious pic quality. The phone is acting up again.

2dw5189.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, it is text and colour variations like this that make A2600 collecting real interesting, Gotta get them all!

I have scans of mine and you can also see variation with the primary colour on the same game ,look at Yars revenge and Frostbite.

frostbite-label-b.giffrostbite-label-a.gifyars-revenge-label-b.gifyars-revenge-label-a.gif

more scans here http://www.jammajup.co.uk/atari.html

Edited by R.O.T.S

My main question that I haven't found the answer to yet is: When were the text label versions of Atari branded games in production? Are they older than the picture labels or from the exact same time period and what you got when you opened the box was random? I have like 5 CIB games and all of them have text labels, and then I have a CIB Asteroids with a picture label cart. Looking at the outsides of the boxes I don't see anything on them that makes Asteroids appear different than the other 5 I have.

And then what's up with the numbered text label games like "02 Combat" ? Were these the oldest variants of them all from when they were trying to follow after Fairchild's numbering scheme and decided against continuing that direction?

I wasn't around during the time (I was born in the red label/2600 Jr. era. lol) so I think it would be interesting to know.

Edited by TheGameCollector

1980 for the most part. A few probably made it out early in '81 before/while Atari switched to picture labels, but for all intents and purposes, 1980.

ah that's what I thought. It must have coincided with the revision of the console from 6 switch to 4 switch, much like the silver labels for new games coincided with switch to the 2600 Vader system.