IGNORED

Tower 2 price?

Cyrus649

Why is this game so hated? I know the game is limited in the way in plays, but so was a lot of early rpgs... Is it because it was a step backward and plain? Does it have bad controls? What makes it so bad? Or is it an okay game to good game but not worth the price? I think Earthbound for the snes fit in as a good rpg thats just overpriced...

Why is this game so hated? I know the game is limited in the way in plays, but so was a lot of early rpgs... Is it because it was a step backward and plain? Does it have bad controls? What makes it so bad? Or is it an okay game to good game but not worth the price? I think Earthbound for the snes fit in as a good rpg thats just overpriced...

Seriously man, the only way to EVER be sure about this stuff (I'm afraid) is to just take the plunge, buy it and play it for yourself.

If you like the look of it enough to already defend it on the forum here, chances are, you'll actually enjoy the game.

No doubt you've watched plenty of footage on YouTube too... presumably?

The thing is, it's not excellent when compared to games like Ultima Underworld or Elder Scrolls (from the time).

Then again, the Elder Scrolls games weren't considered excellent at the time. That series only started to be regarded as excellent with Morrowind, mainly because of the random generated nature of the first two games. Even NPCs were random generated, and a game world of the size of Great Britain proved to be not a good thing, with dozens of towns looking the same. Personally I quit playing because I got annoyed at quest objectives like a beast I must kill being placed in a dungeon room that was unaccessible. A common problem with the random generated stuff being not well designed.

Talking as someone who has never played, but only looked at Towers 2, it never tried to reach that overblown scope from what I understand, so I guess Ultima Underworld would be a better comparison. It is kind of sad that it doesn't reach that level, but then again Telegames never was a developer of AAA-software. Seeing that it was not made by RPG pros I guess Towers 2 turned out okay.

The game is not half bad for what it is and the system it's on. The thing is, it's not excellent when compared to games like Ultima Underworld or Elder Scrolls (from the time).

But beyond that, it's not bad...

Yeah, I finally watch some video on it and decided it has the same problem that most had at the time. You can tell if a game is made for the pc or other computer system and because of that the ports to consoles loses something in the porting. The combat it a bit bland but not too bad. I think it doesn't meet up with the elder scrolls game but is the same to Underworld if it was ported to the console. Yes I played both... I started noticing this in Eye of the Beholder for the snes, it plays okay but would play better on the pc. I'm still on the fence on this game, but am wondering if the release copy comes with the overlay or will I have to buy a repro one from england? Does anybody know if the first game is playable on the pc or will I need a dosbox or other emulator to play the original software?

Then again, the Elder Scrolls games weren't considered excellent at the time. That series only started to be regarded as excellent with Morrowind, mainly because of the random generated nature of the first two games. Even NPCs were random generated, and a game world of the size of Great Britain proved to be not a good thing, with dozens of towns looking the same. Personally I quit playing because I got annoyed at quest objectives like a beast I must kill being placed in a dungeon room that was unaccessible. A common problem with the random generated stuff being not well designed.

Talking as someone who has never played, but only looked at Towers 2, it never tried to reach that overblown scope from what I understand, so I guess Ultima Underworld would be a better comparison. It is kind of sad that it doesn't reach that level, but then again Telegames never was a developer of AAA-software. Seeing that it was not made by RPG pros I guess Towers 2 turned out okay.

You must have posted this when I was typing, I'm getting the same feel, but not being a AAA games sometime have unique quarks about them that makes them different or enjoyable. Good or Bad. I still question the price tho. I enjoy these games bad or good, but only beat the better ones.

Towers II has no overlay included.

You can buy one from 16/32 systems, or print your own :)

The game has an appealing soundtrack imo which, in combination with the artistic style gives a nice atmosphere.

If you like these kind of games, and like the Atari Jaguar, then I think that you won't be dissapointed.

• Like 2

Yeah, I finally watch some video on it and decided it has the same problem that most had at the time. You can tell if a game is made for the pc or other computer system and because of that the ports to consoles loses something in the porting. The combat it a bit bland but not too bad. I think it doesn't meet up with the elder scrolls game but is the same to Underworld if it was ported to the console. Yes I played both... I started noticing this in Eye of the Beholder for the snes, it plays okay but would play better on the pc. I'm still on the fence on this game, but am wondering if the release copy comes with the overlay or will I have to buy a repro one from england? Does anybody know if the first game is playable on the pc or will I need a dosbox or other emulator to play the original software?

The graphics are maybe only 80% what they were in Ultima Underworld... it feels similar, but the manipulation, storyline, and gameplay just isn't there.

I don't think I ever played that one... only the first one that came out in like 1995 or something (Elder Scrolls I mean)

Edited by 82-T/A

Towers II has no overlay included.

You can buy one from 16/32 systems, or print your own :)

The game has an appealing soundtrack imo which, in combination with the artistic style gives a nice atmosphere.

If you like these kind of games, and like the Atari Jaguar, then I think that you won't be dissapointed.

This reply ^

/thread

If your looking for something a bit different to play on the Jaguar scoop up Towers 2.I thought it was a enjoyable game it has a decent amount of game play hours the puzzles in the game are great in the aspect that there not entirely impossible to figure out.The story line opens up a bit as you progress threw the game.Also there are character specific items that many people do not know of in the game.Also as said in a earlier post the sound track runs well with the environment in game.All in all i thought Towers 2 was a great title for the Jaguar and i don't think you will be disappointed with it even at its steep price.I know for a fact you don't get the overlay with it you do however get the manual.If you do deside to pick the game up and you want some interesting reading i will send you the game guide that i wrote for towers 2.

Hey, if you've made it through towers see I would be very interested in tips, Im stuck in the air elemental area, I got the spell from the thief to damage them, but dont have enough mana to kill one, I can only cast the spell 2 times with Gerand and Im out of mana. do I just need to lever up? Im level 3 right now. sorry to hijack, but like I said earlier, not much help on the internet with this one.

Yes i have completed the game several times and even wrote a 15 page game guide for it because so little was offered on this game walkthroughs and guides mainly.Hey np i would love to help first ya you need to lvl up a bit if your only lvl 3 the wind mastery spell is the key here hit x2 with wind mastery run to a safe spot and heal by healing i mean sleeping so your mana replenishes then go back and finish them off.The elemental rooms were always fun ^^

the only way Ive figured to level up is to kill all people/enemies throughout the floors save and do it again, a cart save that is, some enemies return. also yes, I like to figure things out, but I would be very interested in that guide. also maybe Ive ran through to much to fast, I killed the earth elementals by using bow&arrow, and that took quite a few tries. anyway help is very appriciated. is there any way you could send me that guide?

Ya the elemental area's can be nasty at early lvls and the only way to benifit at that lvl is hit and run.I can send you my guide do me a favor let me know what you think of it as i havent widley posted this one yet i think i shared it with a few over at jaguar sector 2 but i think sector 2 has been since closed. Ok i sent the guide to you check your mail here on the forums.

Edited by SolutionZ

If the guide being discussed is the one that was posted on JSII, I can vouch for it and say I love it. As a matter of fact, I think I may have been one of the very last to be allowed to register over there just before it went down (a day or 2) for the sole purpose of grabbing that guide. I really like it and it has helped a lot. Was there only one guide ever posted for it?

Ya that was my guide sad to see sector 2 go down i wonder what happened it was like no warning just one day the site was down.I had a few of my guides posted on that site.Glad you liked the Towers 2 guide/walkthrough and i think that the guide i wrote was the only extensive one ever written for that game.

Well, I just checked out that guide and have already put it to good use, it kept me up this morning when I got home from work. exellent, I would have paid money for this, it does make the price I paid for the game worth it, knowing now if Im stuck I can fall back on this guide, also I didnt expect enemie pics and maps. this should be put in the tips and tricks section here, Its the only existing guide and its a damn good one. If this was available sooner to me I would have bought this game sooner rather than near the end of my collection. again HUGE thanks to SolutionZ.

Hey no worries my friend i am glad i could help.Yea that guide took me awhile to get together lots of notes and play throughs but i wanted people to see that the game had allot to offer and that there was help if needed.I also wrote many other guides if you ever want to see them. In regards to the Towers 2 guide i still need to add a few things but all in all it is complete a few things i have found in the game that has left even me wondering what the game designers had up there sleeves like the sword of cloning eye of zofar and other such objects like the pick axe and shovels.Hell maybe there is nothing to them at all but then again maybe there is.Ya all those guides was for a magazine i was putting together back in the day but i sadly never completed it.

When I was going through with Gerand I would do the hit and run and get back to a safe spot and sleep. Fortunately the monsters do not regain hit points when you sleep. At first I had to get all the way out of the air elemental area to rest, but after you start clearing those rooms you can rest there instead.

SolutionZ, if you know Towers II so well why didn't you respond to my recent question about the Test of Magic? I was able to beat the game no problem, but I was trying to complete all three tests also. I thought maybe only Merton can win the Test of Magic.