IGNORED

The 7800XM

Curt Vendel

Your a broken record dude. But I do get what your saying.

Maybe because I seem to be the only one who is ACTUALLY saying what everyone is thinking. I guess I would rather speak my mind over and over again, rather than sit in silence, hoping to not upset the "almighty" Curt.

All I know is this…considering all of the delays, missed deadlines and total lack of communication, people are STILL cutting the guy a shit-ton of slack. As a matter of fact, lots of folks are still singing his praises! I can't for the life of me figure out why? So, I will continue to sound like a broken record, for as long as it takes for Curt to chime in and let me know what is going on with the XM. After all, I did pay for the thing years ago, and I haven't heard or seen an actual update on this in quite some time. Not here and not on the update page on his website.

Oh, and by the way…if you REALLY want to know what a broken record sounds like, why don't you go back through all the XM threads throughout the years and see just how many times we were given an "actual" release date by Curt himself. Now that's what a broken record sounds like dude.

• Like 5

Maybe because I seem to be the only one who is ACTUALLY saying what everyone is thinking. I guess I would rather speak my mind over and over again, rather than sit in silence, hoping to not upset the "almighty" Curt.

All I know is this…considering all of the delays, missed deadlines and total lack of communication, people are STILL cutting the guy a shit-ton of slack. As a matter of fact, lots of folks are still singing his praises! I can't for the life of me figure out why? So, I will continue to sound like a broken record, for as long as it takes for Curt to chime in and let me know what is going on with the XM. After all, I did pay for the thing years ago, and I haven't heard or seen an actual update on this in quite some time. Not here and not on the update page on his website.

Oh, and by the way…if you REALLY want to know what a broken record sounds like, why don't you go back through all the XM threads throughout the years and see just how many times we were given an "actual" release date by Curt himself. Now that's what a broken record sounds like dude.

Your frustration comes through loud and clear. But what's wrong with just making polite reminders for an update? In my experience, repeatedly critizing people is not an effective way of getting them to do something. Constantly reminding people they owe you something, in a polite manner, works very well.

Your frustration comes through loud and clear. But what's wrong with just making polite reminders for an update? In my experience, repeatedly critizing people is not an effective way of getting them to do something. Constantly reminding people they owe you something, in a polite manner, works very well.

Honestly tep…have you been reading these threads? I have asked nicely for updates, countless times over the years…even in this thread numerous times. As a matter of fact, Curt actually tore me a new one in a thread a while back, for questioning about the change from Legacy to Syzygy….I asked nicely and it was a legitimate question.

By the lack of response, and his previous outburst, it is clear to me that he really doesn't care. So, I now, I feel no need to stay quiet. Keep in mind, I am not going to get nasty about things either…I just don't mind being Curt's constant, nagging reminder that he is neglecting his customers. Period. Nothing I have said or will say is mean spirited or hurtful…just the facts. If Curt doesn't like them, then I suggest he makes some changes with his business strategy.

Remember…I did not cause any of the problems plaguing the production of the XM. All I did was pre-order one, just like everyone else.

If you want to give someone advice with regards to tact, I suggest you give Curt a call…after all, I wouldn't have the need to say anything at all, if he would just stop by and give us some sort of update. I am actually blown away by the fact that people get aggravated by my posts and by anybody else who requests such an update from Curt, but NOBODY seems to care that Curt is completely ignoring all of us…not just me…ALL OF US. If you are OK with that, then I say fine…but then why are you visiting the 7800 XM update thread then anyhow? IMHO, we all want some news…but some of us are too nervous to ask for it. Nervous because they are aware of the lynch mob, just waiting to pounce on anyone who dares to question Curt or the status of the XM. I am not nervous. I paid for an XM and I look forward to getting one eventually. I can be patient, but not without some sort of basic updates. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

• Like 4

No one really insulted Curt by calling him names just can not believe why the avoidance of updates is and has been that way from after year one.

I would think Curt knows what he should be doing by now that the crowd just wants a bit of communication. His website or here is fine somewhere where we can check here and there. At one point it was on a webpage just for updates that was very much so filled with info and demos and also explaining the hardships of the technical stuff.

Asking politely has been done a couple of weeks or so ago. Even years ago asking politely.

In april or may he said it would be released in june so its that close to being done? So september or october at the latest would be the logical date it could and should be done if you use the logic that was presented before us earlier because understandably the operation he went through set that back a couple months.

Maybe he cant get out of bed or move so then there is no way it would be done this year. Who knows... Curt is the only one with the answers. So we wait..

Tell us the effective way of getting info and we will try that. As we have tried everything. Nice, bitchy, cunty, rude, understanding, polite, patient.

It seems the proven cycle of about 4-5 pages of people asking always get the wtf you guys are rude response and then a small update then nothing for months or years and then 4-5 pages of asking and repeat repeat. Thats why the xm status was pinned. That worked well didnt it. May as well pinned eating monkey shit and jerking off giraffes is fun. Lets face it we are all screwed and out of options.

There ya go benny boy. Did I say what people thunk too?

• Like 2

Squeaky wheel gets the oil, Curt should just refund your money and be done with you. I collect all things Atari and have since 1979, I have always been a big fan. But when I got sick anybody could have taken a sledge hammer to my collection and I could have cared a less, When your faced with your own mortality little things like that are irrelevant. My heart problem screwed up my life for a year in a half. I guess Curt should have done a better job of planning when he got sick to better fit your schedule. Anybody that has faced death will understand this

Squeaky wheel gets the oil, Curt should just refund your money and be done with you. I collect all things Atari and have since 1979, I have always been a big fan. But when I got sick anybody could have taken a sledge hammer to my collection and I could have cared a less, When your faced with your own mortality little things like that are irrelevant. My heart problem screwed up my life for a year in a half. I guess Curt should have done a better job of planning when he got sick to better fit your schedule. Anybody that has faced death will understand this

Although I admittedly didn't preorder the XM, I have been kinda this for a couple of years. You're (kinda) right with your post: what needs to be done now is refunds. From my casual observation, the XM has gone the way of Knight Rider 2600.... Often promised, but never delivered. If this issue is honestly harming Curt as much as he says it is, ties need to be severed. Time to stop beating the dead horse and bury it.

It's time to move on.

Edited by BDW

Nice. So, I should have expected to wait almost 4 years for the XM because Curt got sick 2 years AFTER this was already late? Give me a break dude. The XM being 3+ years late has about as much to do with Curt's health as your comments have anything to do with making any sense whatsoever. I feel for Curt regarding his health issues, but it has nothing to do with any of what I have said. He seems to have the strength to do other things like publish and sell books, so an update is not a huge request.

As for giving me a refund…that's not what I want, nor have I ever asked for one. I want an XM. I paid for it, and I am happy to wait for it. Who are you to decide that I should just get a refund and be done with? Is it your money? Did you even pay for a pre-order almost 4 years ago? I simply want to hear from Curt as to what the status of this project is. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Are you that dense?

PS: No one else in this hobby gets away with delays like this without having some kind of dialogue. No one. What makes this any different?

• Like 2

Time to bury this thread too. Why does every XM thread go south so fast???

PS - IBTL. :ponder:

Because the only person with any actual knowledge regarding the status of the XM seems to think remaining silent is the best course of action. Regular updates would keep all of this nonsense from erupting once a month…guaranteed.

• Like 1

I think it's perfectly fine to remind Curt of his obligations from time to time. And he is certainly not without his faults.

During the early months, I thought it a bit outrageous that some were accusing him of fraud, so I would remind people of Curt's track-record up to then, which was pretty clean. There had been delays, but Curt had been good for the work, as the projects had eventually been released. Curt was also much more vocal then, averaging more than 1 update a month. So, defending him wasn't too much of a stretch.

There was an element to some of the more vocal naysaying that I couldn't directly say then, though I got pretty close to (!), without feeling like I was falsely accusing, but I highly suspected these were mostly done through multiple sock-puppet accounts, from one troubled individual. He'd go so far as to create new profiles and identities. More recently, some revelations from Albert, have shed some light on this.

As feature-creep set in, I didn't know really what to say. I greedily wanted the extra goodies that furthur work could bring, though I understood that many just wanted it out.

Then, as Curt's health became an issue, with the expenses that entails, I mostly wrote it off and never talked about it again.

If I've bothered or upset anyone by any of my statements in the past, I'd like to extend my apologies.

I feel for your wife

Yep…you answered all my questions to you with that little gem. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: I have to wonder if your other 48 posts were so well spoken and insightful.

• Like 1

Because the only person with any actual knowledge regarding the status of the XM seems to think remaining silent is the best course of action. Regular updates would keep all of this nonsense from erupting once a month…guaranteed.

Because all the vitriol and negativity against Curt won't make XM come to fruition any faster. Curt has a weak heart. People in this forum need to have a bit more heart; that's all.

Edited by stardust4ever